Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 03:35 PM

872 posts, read 1,385,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Lmao Cheerios.

If only the Londoners here could agree. Like I said I'll take their advice more then yours.

I've never witnessed a Londoner rubbing their weather in people's face.
The weather in London has been good, but this is not usual for the city, at least if you consider mean climate statistics over a broad temporal period. London is definitely trending towards a more Mediterranean pattern with more frequent expressions of sunny and rainy extremes.

Last Summer and Autumn were spectacular, as a very badly sunburned Alex Jones (from Texas) would attest after visiting the metropolitan area to cover the Bilderberg meeting in 2013. All those pretty pictures of Summer-pattern sunny weather in Mid-March would have been unheard of around a decade or so ago.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:40 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Anywho this thread isn't about cold London (idk seems like they want the European championship from the wwf for the best Patricks day)

I think the mods on the NYC forums should make a sticky thread for New Yorkers who are miserable and want to leave.

They can all post their issues and reasons there and all the others who think NYC defending equated to evil should also join it to give their inputs and aid to these suffering New Yorkers.

Makes sense since NYC is called the greatest city in the world. It would save the NYC forum space from all the people who are bored and want to start these type of threads.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
The weather in London has been good, but this is not usual for the city, at least if you consider mean climate statistics over a broad temporal period. London is definitely trending towards a more Mediterranean pattern with more frequent expressions of sunny and rainy extremes.

Last Summer and Autumn were spectacular, as a very badly sunburned Alex Jones (from Texas) would attest after visiting the metropolitan area to cover the Bilderberg meeting in 2013. All those pretty pictures of Summer-pattern sunny weather in Mid-March would have been unheard of around a decade or so ago.
That's good to know and thanks for the informative post. Hopefully I can visit London and Italy after I graduate.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:58 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacxxx View Post
I am born and raised in manhattan (washington heights, then chelsea) and I really used to be the proudest new yorker around. Now, at 31, i am back here after several years of living elsewhere (miami), and I really feel like it's not all that great here. I came back because the job market is better here, but the general quality of life is not great, and so overpriced (can only afford to be here because staying with family). everything crammed, dirty (phlegm and vomit on the street), and man-made (i think central park is generic and ugly). You look around and just see gray buildings...my mind can't process how someone can think it is beautiful in the middle of the city. I feel like I've learned that the best things in life really are free... like walking along the beach in december, jogging by the bay with palm trees surrounding you, and just natural beauty of the environment.

I don't get the whole day-to-day hustle mentality. Life is so short. People here are so uptight. I wish more people here could just truly be chill. Stress kills. Everyone so proud of how loud, tough, opinionated they are. Everything is not a contest. I'm opinionated, but I don't care about getting that last witty comment in.
Also, winter. What is there to do in the winter asides from drink? Watch a movie? Blah blah blah. In the summer, everything fun is overrun with too many people. For example, the highline. How is it fun to weave your way around the other 2mil people on that thing on a sunny saturday?

I'd rather be here than any small town...I am definitely a city girl. But there are so many cities that are less gentrified, have a higher quality of life, and are much more beautiful than new york. I feel like no one in manhattan is actually from here anymore, that nyc is so over-hyped, and full of people tied together by silly "NY moment" anecdotes. I'm lucky to be able to stay with my parents for a bit, and sometimes i feel selfish because i know a lot of people would love to be here in my place. but i really have a hard time seeing new york as anything other than a means to an end at this point.

On the plus side: great transportation. best food -- best pizza especially. can't think of anything else. i wish the hudson river was bluer; then, it would make the list. I guess to each their own, and I'm glad that many people do love living here, but I needed to rant as this whole facade that I made a great move is wearing thin.
It's true that for many cities, it is a bit overrated but for a foreigner like myself, NY has an unique aspect. Most foreigners talk about NY as Manhattan. And I am happy to see the buildings you describe as "gray" because I come from Paris, and though it is one of the most beautiful city in the world, you simply do not have high buildings in the historical city.

I just think that NY/Manhattan requires a good amount of wealth but when you have it, it seems very comfortable and nice. I did not "try" the different cultural spots yet (museums, operas, concerts...) but it's certainly a very good level, and probably as good as those at Paris.

As a matter of fact, when I was at Paris, I often heard "foreigners" (tourists or non-Parisians) getting disappointed by the streets (lots of dogs excrements at some point) but the historical buildings and museums were great, so a joke said that you should only watch up when you walk in Paris.

Well NY is definitely a bit dirtier than Paris, especially when restaurants throw their garbage bags in the streets but it's not as bad as I had imagined. And as I said, some people like me just love the view of or from these tall buildings, even though I miss the Eiffel tower at night blinking at each hour.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:13 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacxxx View Post
I'm here because I'm staying with family. So i'm paying no rent, but need to save before I can leave. Either CA or FL.

It's true, I hate competing. I got a lot of "you should go to NYC and use your degrees" grief, but now that I'm here, I'm already over the rat race.

Moving is also complicated by the fact that I never learned to drive.
Learn how to drive. There's public transportation in LA, but there are places where public transportation doesn't go. Besides, there's a stigma against you in LA (in most of the country) actually if you don't have a driver's license. Basically, everyone has a driver's license unless you're disabled or you got it revoked due to some crime or alcoholism/drug addiction.

LA is visually a prettier city than NY. Of course, it has it's own problems, as does every other place. Keep in mind California cities are expensive too.

But with better weather there is more stuff to do outside year round. And yes, people aren't as into the rat race. You can't be, as LA traffic jams are no joke. You have to learn to chill.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:14 PM

872 posts, read 1,385,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBucks View Post
Nothing screams butthurt like a paranoid NYer who refuses to accept that our city may not necessarily be the greatest city in the world.

I like London. If it annoys you, then yes, I like it a lot more than New York. Get over it. Or come here and see for yourself whether or not it's the kind of city that would have an inferiority complex against NY.
Once you get a coping response out of someone it's pointless aggravating them more.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:19 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Who are you to say that the party scene is dead? Critics don't agree with you.

I've been to plenty of cities and still have not found these great places that you speak of?

You don't know how it feels to work in a 5 star hotel and have hoardes of people coming from all over the country to party in NYC.

NYC is alive in every aspect. America needs to praise the founders of this city more. Not bloomberg and ray Kelly.
The Bloomberg era saw the literally destruction of what was left of NYC's once great club scene. I remember when Giuliani shut down clubs left and right. Then of course it continued under Bloomberg, and many places had former club space converted into condos (LES, Chelsea, Hells Kitchen).

During the dotcom boom, at a decent place you would have found a pretty good crowd any night of the week. Now you would only really find crowds on Friday's and Saturdays. With the big increase in rents, the prices of drinks went up. Since there are so many low wage jobs in the city a lot of people cannot afford to hang out like that (its the liquor store time). I agree the current NYC is not a party town. Places where it's convenient to club are expensive, even in Western Brooklyn and Queens. Who is going to be able to do a long commute home after drinking. Also gentrification is slowly taking care of club space in Brooklyn and Queens as well.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The Bloomberg era saw the literally destruction of what was left of NYC's once great club scene. I remember when Giuliani shut down clubs left and right. Then of course it continued under Bloomberg, and many places had former club space converted into condos (LES, Chelsea, Hells Kitchen).

During the dotcom boom, at a decent place you would have found a pretty good crowd any night of the week. Now you would only really find crowds on Friday's and Saturdays. With the big increase in rents, the prices of drinks went up. Since there are so many low wage jobs in the city a lot of people cannot afford to hang out like that (its the liquor store time). I agree the current NYC is not a party town. Places where it's convenient to club are expensive, even in Western Brooklyn and Queens. Who is going to be able to do a long commute home after drinking. Also gentrification is slowly taking care of club space in Brooklyn and Queens as well.
Despite all of that I haven't been to a city other then Miami with a better party scene.

I'm going to Atlanta in June. What's good out there? Heard they have the best strip clubs.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:46 PM

296 posts, read 469,304 times
The early 90s were the golden years as far as I'm concerned. Everything seemed so much happier and brighter, the girls were prettier and more willing to please, the weather more agreeable, that is, aside from the physical reality of the city itself.

This is what I yearn for (not necessarily the music and dancing).

Old 03-16-2014, 05:04 PM

531 posts, read 594,983 times
^^The dancing is awesome. Old school rave hardcore. Love the prodigy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City