Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 08:24 AM

6 posts, read 11,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post
Absolutely. Go to India, China or Russia, and tell people there you will work for 1/3 of what a US-based employee would accept, they will hire you as an H1-B and send you right over.
Haha, nice advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 1,272 times
I agree that doing an internship could be the best solution.
You can check NewYork.Epliwa.com, there are thousand of internships in IT available in NYC.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:25 AM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
You do know that there's a job-board site specifically for IT/Tech, right?

Old 03-21-2014, 01:08 PM

22 posts, read 37,967 times
cold call as many companies you can that has an IT dept. contact their Human Resources dept. and ask if they're hiring, then submit your résumé. You cold call 50 companies a day, that's 250 companies you'll hit in 1 week.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:36 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
He is a recent grad though.

Most schools do not hep recent grads and most career services suck anyway according to surveys completed by students. Like my University, all they ask for is money as soon as you graduate and most of their attention is for the current roster of students. Not to mention, the people who work in career services are there by situation and not choice. You ask them their background it is usually something non-related to your major. Clearly that is a problem. How can these Universities fill career services with people who not only want to work their, but is also not at all passionate or involved in the students' interested profession?

While most alumni have access, what that means is you have access to job postings. The career center itself is a joke and that mismatch described above is why. From what I've seen, most colleges just forget about recent grads all together. Their is no assistance other than prep interviews and yeah prep interviews.
  • Many colleges don't have career fairs for recent grads.
  • Many colleges don't have career programs period
  • Many colleges don't have job postings, but rather internships.
  • Many colleges STILL rely on the old mentality that internships will transition into jobs.
  • Many colleges do not filter postings which is shocking.
  • Many colleges reduce help offered after graduation

For example, last bullet point. I explained how my career center sucked ass well here is the kicker. Depending on which school you went...obviously we were provided with professional programs. I participated in something like a mentor program. That is the stuff that recent grads need the most right now. They need inside tips from real life professionals with numerous connections. The guy I was assigned to was a headhunter so lucky me. As soon as I graduated, nope not aloud to participate in that program anymore. Now I could still meet my mentor you know via email, cafe, whatever, but yep only him. I could not walk into my University, attend events, or sign up with another mentor. That is the other side not revealed in the numerous articles. Most students know the career center sucks since they place emphasis on internships and not jobs. The programs that your school provides tend to be better, however as soon as you graduate you get cut off since obviously you are no longer paying for it and those services are not part of career services.
I think this POV is a bit slanted and experience of how good or bad a school's service center is are based on the school. My school had pretty good career services albeit most of that was geared at getting you a job before you graduated (which they are very good at doing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City