Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 03:08 PM

221 posts, read 322,368 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what New Yorkers say or think about Chicago, whether you have been there, lived there, and never been. For example, here are a few questions -

- Is it a destination (to live/visit?)
- Is it 90% of NYC at half the price?
- Is it a place for arts & culture?
- Does it have alluring opportunities?
- Is it overshadowed by the coasts?

Last edited by oak317; 05-12-2014 at 03:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 03:10 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,918,406 times
I've always been interested in Chicago, even though of moving there if I wanted to leave NYC.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:24 PM

420 posts, read 823,864 times
- Is it a destination (to live/visit?)

nah

- Is it 90% of NYC at half the price?

doesn't seem to be

- Is it a place for arts & culture?

yes, and a major place for art and culture in the USA, but completely dwarfed by NYC

- Does it have alluring opportunities?

yes, like an urban center with much lower cost of living

- Is it overshadowed by the coasts?

absolutely. Coastal areas are much more diverse and wealthy and more significant in just about every way.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:48 PM

445 posts, read 1,449,110 times
I grew up in Chicago but I have lived in NYC for 30 years. I have been back since, but not for a few years so my impressions may be out of date.

Chicago is a great city. In my opinion the theatre scene is comparable to NYC (aside from Broadway, which is over-priced and overhyped). The famous Steppenwolfe Theatre got its start in a church basement in Highland Park, to name one example. Then there's Second City. The music scene is good - when I was young, we used to go to the blues bars on Lincoln Avenue. I'm sure all that has changed now but I know they have a lot of music fests. The food options are excellent (Chicago pizza and hot dogs > NYC pizza and hot dogs). The restaurants in Chicago compare favorably to those in NYC.

I love the museums, especially Art Institute and Science & Industry.

The lakefront is a huge plus. If you live in a lakefront neighborhood, it's a short walk or bus ride away. In NYC, most of us can't get to the beach in 20 minutes or less.

It's certainly cheaper than NYC, judging by prices I have seen online. I don't know about the opportunities but I assume it's about on a par with NYC (which isn't saying much these days, sadly).

Downside of Chicago is the crime rate. Chicago seems to have more of a gang problem than NYC for some reason. The South Side is pretty ghetto (and I say that as someone who grew up in Hyde Park). Chicago is more segregated. I remember visiting friends on the far South or West sides and being freaked out at the prospect of taking the el home through bad neighborhoods.

I think that anybody who likes living in NYC would like Chicago. I found it a pretty smooth transition between the two cities.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the responses, looking forward to more.

stillife, I lived in Hyde Park for 6 years so we have a lot in common there. Hyde Park is actually getting a lot nicer. The Shoreland is now a luxury apt building with studios going at $1400+. A lot of chain businesses are coming to 53rd street. And Kingston Mines & B.L.U.E.S. are still going strong :-)

Old 05-12-2014, 04:06 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,360,127 times
I would like to visit Chicago one day and I probably will. I would like to explore many of the larger cities, actually. My thoughts are actually pretty close to what stillife said.

My perceptions? It's smaller, the crime is worse but that there are plenty of nice areas. I think it's cheaper but not always that much cheaper. And that I'd probably dislike the weather more there than here. That being said, because I would like to stay in a city, I would not rule out living there.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:14 PM

I think it's on average 10 degrees colder in the winter. The wind chill in the lakefront neighborhoods can be brutal. Snow is variable, some winters there's a lot of it, some very little.

On the high end it's definitely way cheaper. You can find a downtown studio for $1200-$1400. You can find a studio or 1 bedroom in some the nicest/safest neighborhoods for $900-$1200.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:35 PM

445 posts, read 1,449,110 times
When it was really windy, we used to say "The hawk is out". I don't know if it is really any windier than NYC (it's called The Windy City because of windbag politicians, not the weather) but it definitely is colder. I'm a gardener and Chicago is Zone 5 and NYC is Zone 6. Midwestern weather is not for wimps!

oak317, you couldn't touch an apartment in a decent neighborhood in NYC for those prices. Chicago is a much more livable city.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:42 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,620,438 times
Hoping to move to Chicago when I leave East Coast. Absolutely love the city.

How is the Jazz music scene?

Old 05-12-2014, 04:49 PM

There are a lot of great jazz & blues places. Some well-known places are Kingston Mines, Buddy Guy's Legends, The Green Mill, The Whistler. Green Mill probably has the most history. Al Capone used to go there quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City