Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 10:37 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
In ten years she'll be able to sell the place north of a million.

Buy low sell high, brother.
Couldn't agree more. I wonder what city data posters said to the "New" people moving into SoHo or The LES.

Not hijacking the thread but these constant threads asking is this area safe is very annoying. Your gonna move somewhere or make a real estate acquisition then do your homework. Go to the area yourself and walk around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 10:21 PM

3 posts, read 5,995 times
We're visiting NYC from overseas and need to choose accommodation. Walking around the neighbourhood prior to that isn't an option.

Thanks for all the answers, though I'm apprehensive as hell now.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:38 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Um cause it's East Harlem? Highest crime neighborhood in NYC ( or 2nd.I forget).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
Because its surrounded by housing projects and unemployed drug addicts

All of you make it seem like there's no crime anywhere else in Manhattan but Harlem. Let me tell you why this bias exists. Because Harlem is mostly black and hispanic. That's all. I've lived in the city for decades, and it's media racism and bias mostly fearmongering. You can just as easily get into trouble in the Lower east side, alphabet city, Chinatown or East village late at night as you will in Harlem. You can get into lots of trouble alone in Hell's kitchen, or even in Central park late at night. Whites feel safer where there are more whites, that's all. Objectively, Harlem is not any more dangerous than many other city neighborhoods.

Just have common sense, don't look like a target, and you'll be fine. There are much worse places in NYC than Harlem.

If you give Harlem a chance, you'll find how nice a neighborhood it truly is.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgecakeandpretzels View Post
We're visiting NYC from overseas and need to choose accommodation. Walking around the neighbourhood prior to that isn't an option.

Thanks for all the answers, though I'm apprehensive as hell now.
Don't believe the lies. Harlem is fine.
Here are hard facts:

Most Dangerous Neighborhoods Crimes per 1,000 residents
Meatpacking District 164
Times Square 144
Garment District 130.5
Koreatown 118.6
Union Square 73.2
NoHO 58
Hudson Square 55.7
SoHo 44.8
Flatiron District 42
Columbus Circle 31.7

Old 09-16-2014, 08:13 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
All of you make it seem like there's no crime anywhere else in Manhattan but Harlem. Let me tell you why this bias exists. Because Harlem is mostly black and hispanic. That's all. I've lived in the city for decades, and it's media racism and bias mostly fearmongering. You can just as easily get into trouble in the Lower east side, alphabet city, Chinatown or East village late at night as you will in Harlem. You can get into lots of trouble alone in Hell's kitchen, or even in Central park late at night. Whites feel safer where there are more whites, that's all. Objectively, Harlem is not any more dangerous than many other city neighborhoods.

Just have common sense, don't look like a target, and you'll be fine. There are much worse places in NYC than Harlem.

If you give Harlem a chance, you'll find how nice a neighborhood it truly is.
Even this is BS. Most of the victims of violent crime in NYC are other criminals. If you aren't living a criminal lifestyle and aren't a hardcore drug addict your chances of being a crime victim are much less.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:23 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
Whites feel safer where there are more whites, that's all. Objectively, Harlem is not any more dangerous than many other city neighborhoods.

There it is, the sad part is most people wont admit this or just refuse to see it.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:43 PM

36 posts, read 43,734 times
East Harlem is stuck in the 90s. I wouldn't suggest going over there unless you know someone or you have legit reason too. If your not local then your not welcomed.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:52 PM

36 posts, read 43,734 times
Harlem is a walk in the park compared to Parts of Brooklyn or the Bronx.
Harlem and Washington Heights just have so many problem because till this day a lot of drugs move through those areas. Drugs + a lot of low income housing = crime. Sad, but true.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murda_Mook215 View Post
Harlem is a walk in the park compared to Parts of Brooklyn or the Bronx.
Harlem and Washington Heights just have so many problem because till this day a lot of drugs move through those areas. Drugs + a lot of low income housing = crime. Sad, but true.
If you think only harlem and washington heights has a drug problem in the city, you have no clue.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Even this is BS. Most of the victims of violent crime in NYC are other criminals. If you aren't living a criminal lifestyle and aren't a hardcore drug addict your chances of being a crime victim are much less.
Disagree. I have seen profiles of victims of crime in the city. There are just as many midwestern transplants victimized as natives who come into neighborhoods with a sense of hubris, and become blatant easy targets like tourists.

Fact is, crime is on the rise all over NYC but my point is that Harlem isn't at the top. Hell's Kitchen, gramercy, Union sq, downtown has got it alot worse these days with all the drunk and high kids all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City