Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2014, 11:47 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,396,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraidsL1122 View Post
Just one question. My son's list number is 61xx and he expects he will be in one of the classes next year (Providing, of course, that there are classes next year.) In several posts I have seen the term, being sent "out of town." What does that mean? Thanks.
Being sent out to work in a garage that isn't yours for the day.

I.E. a lot of new guys use their first transfer to get closer to home not realizing they have even worse seniority there and they just get sent out of town everyday. Perhaps your garage is M8 but they tell you to report to Bronx 4 at 6am tomorrow.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:52 AM

51 posts, read 111,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxboogiebx View Post
What would need to occur for someone to be terminated during probation?
Would someone be fired for accidents alone?
Technology they can fire you for anything while on probation. Too many accidents, AWOL, lateness, complaints, any kind of insubordination. While you are on probation you're not a full sanitation worker and the union local 831 does not represent you. If they're going to fire you they let you work your shift and then they say " can I have your badge ID and your parking plaque you're terminated. I have seen it done!

Last edited by Oneaday11; 10-05-2014 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: needed to add more.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:07 AM

733 posts, read 1,165,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneaday11 View Post
Technology they can fire you for anything while on probation. Too many accidents, AWOL, lateness, complaints, any kind of insubordination. While you are on probation you're not a full sanitation worker and the union local 831 does not represent you. If they're going to fire you they let you work your shift and then they say " can I have your badge ID and your parking plaque you're terminated. I have seen it done!
I don't think we should have to pay Union dues until we're off probation since they don't represent or fight for us until we're off probation

Old 10-05-2014, 10:52 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,396,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodyblack View Post
I don't think we should have to pay Union dues until we're off probation since they don't represent or fight for us until we're off probation

cant work a union job without paying union dues. It's not so much that the union doesn't care about you, it's simply that on probation you can be fired for anything so what can they do? I recently saw them shrug their hands over an 8 year guy on commissioner's probation too.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodyblack View Post
You're paying union dues because your eyeglasses, your dental, and your medicationsare all being taken care of by the union.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL AGAIN View Post
cant work a union job without paying union dues. It's not so much that the union doesn't care about you, it's simply that on probation you can be fired for anything so what can they do? I recently saw them shrug their hands over an 8 year guy on commissioner's probation too.
I have seen that also!

Old 10-05-2014, 03:26 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,147,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RROD825 View Post
Does anyone have any good recommendation on work boots?

I like Rocky's Trailblade, but they are almost a sneaker and won't fly for probation guys or in Manhattan in general.

It's a personal thing really. Go to a store and try a bunch on. #1 thing you want is light weight.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:10 PM

129 posts, read 200,529 times
Quote:
Excused without pay
so whats the point of having unlimited sick days, if they dont pay u when u dont come in?

Old 10-05-2014, 04:23 PM

16 posts, read 20,382 times
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:48 PM

15 posts, read 22,474 times
Badge and parking plaque? Sorry to sound dumb but I am 1 of many hopeing to get hired. What badge and parking plaque are u talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City