Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 04:18 PM

624 posts, read 982,847 times

Advertisements

The negative stigma that still remains in the Bronx is the reason why I'm seriously looking at it and believe it may be undervalued in dollar terms. Real estate markets in the big cities are generally very efficient. Widely held negative stereotypes based on ignorance are good sources of arbitrage. If and when that stereotype is defeated, things will begin to change.

The Bronx is generally a poor area, but I wouldn't call it a major problem today for New York City. This is not the 1970's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 05:59 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
The negative stigma that still remains in the Bronx is the reason why I'm seriously looking at it and believe it may be undervalued in dollar terms. Real estate markets in the big cities are generally very efficient. Widely held negative stereotypes based on ignorance are good sources of arbitrage. If and when that stereotype is defeated, things will begin to change.

The Bronx is generally a poor area, but I wouldn't call it a major problem today for New York City. This is not the 1970's.

Exactly! It's the number one reason why I chose to invest in Bronx RE. It's very undervalued for NYC. Buy low, sell high. Just be selective on key areas where growth is likely to occur such as Kingsbridge, Pelham, Woodlawn, Bedford Park and Riverdale.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:29 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie180 View Post
"It's sad that Ted Cruz would use tired and wrong stereotypes about the Bronx to try advance his extreme political agenda. The truth is the Bronx is growing and prospering and doesn't need to be insulted by Tea Party extremists like Ted Cruz,” said City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito, who added on Twitter that the comments were “pathetic.”

Ted Cruz Just Lost the Bronx -- NYMag

What a small-minded, pompous, arrogant person - shouldn't be surprised someone like this ended up in politics in Texas, but for someone who is making noise about running for pres in 2016 you'd think he'd be a bit more careful with his jokes.
Really,who cares ? Does anyone take him seriously anyway ? The last people whose opinions on anything I would give even 2 seconds of consideration would be politicians like him.

Just forget about it.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:33 PM

250 posts, read 269,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
What the hell does race have to do with any of this? That one trick act is over. It doesn't work anymore. Besides, this discussion has nothing to do with race. Hell, even if it did, Cruz is Hispanic! Oh right, there are excuses for handling that, I forgot. If there's one thing I want to get away from, it's the constant use of race as a weapon to silence opposition. Pathetic.

I was overseas 4 times by the way. Thank you, I know you mean that.

Ted Cruz is white.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:33 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Really,who cares ? Does anyone take him seriously anyway ? The last people whose opinions on anything I would give even 2 seconds of consideration would be politicians like him.

Just forget about it.
Does anyone take any politician in washington seriously?? The Redskins should drop Washington from their name.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:35 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belltolls View Post
Ted Cruz is white.
Only by the standards of those who need to constantly use race as a weapon to make up for their personal shortcomings. To everyone else, Ted Cruz is a proud Cuban-American:

Ted Cruz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-01-2014, 07:07 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I was overseas 4 times by the way. Thank you, I know you mean that.
Now that I know you've served 4 tours, I'm viewing your posts in a different light.

The sacrifices you've made will never be fully repaid as they should or even understood to the masses.

Again, thank you for keeping our country safe.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:12 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post

I just read that whites are moving into the GHETTO OF ALL GHETTOS = Compton, California.

I drove through Compton ONE TIME and that place looked worse than the Bronx ever did in their "bad old days". There was metal bars everywhere, filth, just an ugly, dirty, dingy place. No way could you have told me the area would ever gentrify. I guess East LA and Watts are next.

The Bronx is slowly on the come up. <<Never thought I'd say these words.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:37 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Now that I know you've served 4 tours, I'm viewing your posts in a different light.

The sacrifices you've made will never be fully repaid as they should or even understood to the masses.

Again, thank you for keeping our country safe.
I deserve no such thanks, but know this about my past experiences. If there is one thing I learned overseas and in subsequent endeavors, it is that the color of one's skin, their nation or birth, or the financial security of their blood line means naught when men find themselves under fire.

Further illustrious language evades me now, so I will finish simply: the worth of each man (or woman) is in their individual person, as judged by their own actions and motivations alone. If you read my posts from here on out with that thought in mind, unclouded by preconceived notions, you will understand my mindset far better than you previously had me pegged.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:54 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback1983 View Post
So what? What did he say that was so shocking. Damn, people are so quick to over react. We don't even know what he said before or after that. Just a quote taken out of context. It really looks like he was trying to imply that Charles Schumer should stick to NY because he is in over his head/disagrees with his reform bill. Big deal....

And for the record the Bronx is a dump, and this coming from someone that was born and raised there. A couple of new big box stores doesn't change anything.
Maybe the parts of the Bronx that you are familiar with or lived in were dumps, but I never lived in any dumps that's for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: