Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 08:04 PM

116 posts, read 146,184 times

Advertisements

"It's sad that Ted Cruz would use tired and wrong stereotypes about the Bronx to try advance his extreme political agenda. The truth is the Bronx is growing and prospering and doesn't need to be insulted by Tea Party extremists like Ted Cruz,” said City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito, who added on Twitter that the comments were “pathetic.”

Ted Cruz Just Lost the Bronx -- NYMag

What a small-minded, pompous, arrogant person - shouldn't be surprised someone like this ended up in politics in Texas, but for someone who is making noise about running for pres in 2016 you'd think he'd be a bit more careful with his jokes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 09:03 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,645,169 times
What needs to be discussed is why these politicians are so defensive about what Cruz says. Who cares!? It's all political acrimony. The bronx has serious issues...focus on improving the lives of your constituents instead of criticizing comments that, to be fair, aren't that inaccurate or offensive. I know the libs hate Cruz but it'd probably be more liberating if you'd just ignore his remarks.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:25 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,044,657 times
Out of all the cities and states with illegal alien ghettos on the west coast like New Mexico, AZ, CA and many, many parts of Texas, why choose the Bronx of all places as your target?

There's also the city of New Orleans, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Utah.

Why is this city so fascinating to all these nobody states that no one cares about?

Old 08-31-2014, 09:45 PM

116 posts, read 146,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
What needs to be discussed is why these politicians are so defensive about what Cruz says. Who cares!? It's all political acrimony. The bronx has serious issues...focus on improving the lives of your constituents instead of criticizing comments that, to be fair, aren't that inaccurate or offensive. I know the libs hate Cruz but it'd probably be more liberating if you'd just ignore his remarks.
“I understand that Manhattan is very concerned with their security with the Bronx,” Cruz said to laughter. “But it’s a little bit different on 2,000 miles of the Rio Grande.”

Not only do I find comparing the border of Manhattan / the Bronx to that of Texas / Mexico to be grossly inaccurate and offensive but also not-so-thinly-veiled racism. Why shouldn't politicians (or random people like me) call this out, especially if Cruz has designs on the White House? I don't always agree with what Diaz et al are doing / not doing to improve, but appreciate them not keeping their heads down and actually speaking out about this.

Last edited by mattie180; 08-31-2014 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: punctuation!

Old 08-31-2014, 09:48 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,029,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Out of all the cities and states with illegal alien ghettos on the west coast like New Mexico, AZ, CA and many, many parts of Texas, why choose the Bronx of all places as your target?

There's also the city of New Orleans, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Utah.

Why is this city so fascinating to all these nobody states that no one cares about?
Cruz just said all those places have a 2,000 border security problem, to be fair. He used the Bronx analogy to say Manhattan is next to the Bronx, a bad place, while the Southwest is next to Mexico, a bad place. While his comments are racist, it wasn't that he was uniquely picking on NYC. In short he is basically appealing to his base, which is white conservatives so I don't know why anyone would be shocked about those comments. Just make sure your own actions speak loud at the polls when it's time to vote! Find ways to support the opponents of the tea party besides voting!

Texas is the second most populous state in the nation (New York is third) so I wouldn't call it a nobody state.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:25 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,085,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie180 View Post
"It's sad that Ted Cruz would use tired and wrong stereotypes about the Bronx to try advance his extreme political agenda. The truth is the Bronx is growing and prospering and doesn't need to be insulted by Tea Party extremists like Ted Cruz,” said City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito, who added on Twitter that the comments were “pathetic.”

Ted Cruz Just Lost the Bronx -- NYMag

What a small-minded, pompous, arrogant person - shouldn't be surprised someone like this ended up in politics in Texas, but for someone who is making noise about running for pres in 2016 you'd think he'd be a bit more careful with his jokes.
Ted Cruz gets it wrong again.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:42 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,551,039 times
What do you expect? He is a politicans looking to attract business, investments, etc to Texas. On top of that, he is making a valid point. I got to give credit where credit is due. For me, Texas has seriously stepped up in terms of development, affordability, job creations, investments,etc. Im from the Bronx and this place has seen very little development for decades. Only now, things are starting to look better.......we'll see.

I dont appreciate illegals living amongst us as if nothing is wrong. Making NYC a declared safe city, was a major issue for me.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:13 AM

19,080 posts, read 14,035,845 times
If that snippet is truly his only quote, then all everyone who is angered by it is exhibiting would be more righteous (re: foolish) indignation and anger. It is so sad that people nowadays are so easily "offended". What happened to having a spine? Cry babies. Someone in this thread called Texas a nothing state. We all know that daily, uppity liberal NY'ers have plenty more negative crap to dish about any place not NYC. Can't take what you dish out? Grow a pair you pansies. Not to mention, he's right! The Bronx is practically one giant ghetto with a few good neighborhoods on the edges.

And while you're at it, learn to deal with the fact that NY is a failing state with a shrinking tax base and increasingly government dependent population while solid red "nothing" states like Texas and Tennessee are literally bulging at the seams financially. I wish they'd secede already so I can move there and be a proud American again.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:46 AM

250 posts, read 269,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If that snippet is truly his only quote, then all everyone who is angered by it is exhibiting would be more righteous (re: foolish) indignation and anger. It is so sad that people nowadays are so easily "offended". What happened to having a spine? Cry babies. Someone in this thread called Texas a nothing state. We all know that daily, uppity liberal NY'ers have plenty more negative crap to dish about any place not NYC. Can't take what you dish out? Grow a pair you pansies. Not to mention, he's right! The Bronx is practically one giant ghetto with a few good neighborhoods on the edges.

And while you're at it, learn to deal with the fact that NY is a failing state with a shrinking tax base and increasingly government dependent population while solid red "nothing" states like Texas and Tennessee are literally bulging at the seams financially. I wish they'd secede already so I can move there and be a proud American again.

Hey guys, someone called Texas a nothing state. Both sides do it. False equivalences are fun.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:11 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,044,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
And while you're at it, learn to deal with the fact that NY is a failing state with a shrinking tax base and increasingly government dependent population while solid red "nothing" states like Texas and Tennessee are literally bulging at the seams financially.
Tennessee? "bulging at the the seams financially"?? LOLOL

Quote:
I wish they'd secede already so I can move there and be a proud American again.
I wish they would too, but we all know they never would. Without government money these states, especially Tennessee would no better than one of India's poorest provinces.

Oh, and I said Texas was a "nobody" state not "nothing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: