Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 07:52 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertHarrisontheThird View Post
Why is it offensive? Judaism teaches that gentiles are beneath animals and when the Talmudic Jewish messiah returns all gentiles will become slaves of Jews.

Anyone who identifies as a Jew, publically or privately, must internalize that repulsive attitude to some extent.

I don't want people with that mentality having power outside their own communities.
Good lord. I certainly hope there's not a GilbertHarrisontheFourth running around loose somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 08:34 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,416,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Ignorance comes in all colors...what does him being black have to do with the situation? Somebody was rude and refused to turn his music down. I'm black and there's a pretty good chance he might not have turned it down for me either.

I was just going to respond to the OP's first posting and then I saw your comment saying essentially the same thing I would have. Incivility knows no race, ethnicity, color, gender, nationality, age group, et al. In my 60 years of living thus far, I've encountered nearly every type of person who is blind to how his/her behavior affects others (or they know how it affects others and willfully do it anyway because they have a defiant anti-social personality disorder).

For instance, over 20 years ago, I moved into a condo building (renting a condo unit from the owner of the condo, who just bought it as an investment . . . to rent out to others). My next-door neighbor was black and we got along just fine and he wasn't a bother to me nor I to him, and he gave me a house gift when he moved out. The tenant who took his unit after him was some young white rapper type (like a cross between Enimem and Vanilla Ice, though he actually looked quite like Enimem). He was being supported by his parents (they bought the unit for him) and decked out his apartment with the latest furnishings, stereo equipment, et al. And he would blast his music through the day and night and even in the middle of the night, party there, and have women sleep over and entertain them. I got rather confrontational with him at times. I had decided that I was going to move from that building anyway (into something less costly) and found a new place. I moved nearly all my stuff into the new place but left behind my stereo. I placed my stereo speakers in the closet whose back wall was right against the other tenant's apartment wall and put the speakers directly up against the wall, turned it up quite loud to a 24-hour music radio station, closed the closet door (to not generate too much noise for the other tenants in the building), and moved myself into my new apartment outside this building at another location. That is, I still had to come back to clean out the old apartment completely but delayed coming back for nearly one week and stayed in the new apartment for nearly a week without coming back to the old apartment at all and left my stereo blaring against his wall 24/7 for a week.

By the time I came back to clear out the apartment of the few items left behind (including my stereo sytem), I know that I had driven the white rapper guy crazy. He could never sleep there or concentrate on anything while there or enjoy his own music or TV watching or phone conversions or quiet moments alone because my stereo was blaring against his wall 24/7 for nearly a week. When I came back to the old building, that tenant was actually laying on the floor outside his apartment door (???) . . . like I drove him absolutely insane. But I was just giving him a taste of his own medicine. Maybe, just maybe, I taught him by example to be thoughtful of others or else it could come back to bite you on the a**.

THE LESSON OF THE STORY (for the OP): The perpetrator of the thoughtlessness was WHITE (and a white rapper type at that!) and was a nightmare . . . and the previous tenant was black (I think Caribbean) and a gentleman. How's THAT for role reversal (i.e., being blasted by rap and hip-hop music but by a WHITE person)? So let's not think it just breaks down by race or ethnicity. And I have had noise issues with other tenants in other buildings and in public places over the years who are Caucasian (Anglo European), black, Korean, Middle Eastern, Hispanic/Latin, etc. and both male and female . . . and even elder persons (not just young persons or middle-aged persons).

Last edited by UsAll; 09-25-2014 at 09:08 PM..

Old 09-25-2014, 09:08 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboarded View Post
So I'm white and I'm riding the Staten Island ferry to St. George on the 11:00. I'm reading a book. An African American man sits down two seats away and proceeds to begin playing some game on his tablet involving a great deal of bell, whistle and zinging sounds. You can hear it a good ten feet away. A few passengers kind of roll their eyes.

I consider it a universal rule in polite society, no matter how unheeded it may be in this city, that you do not invade anyone else's sensory space with your device. (There are posters on the ferry with messages to this effect.)

So I say verbatim in the most neutral tone possible: "Sir, could you please turn down your sound?"

Silence/ignoring me.

I repeat: "Sir, could you please turn down your sound."

I am eyed over his sunglasses. "What?"

"Could you please turn down your volume?"

"You want me to what? Nobody is bothered but you. What is this? A concert? A club? This thing making you go deaf?"

He was big. I am not. He was black. I am white. And like so many daily incidents of intolerance in this city and in this country, we left it right there, with a massive moment of intolerance as lethal as any act of actual violence. I put my book away and walked off to another part of the boat.
The big black boogyman scared you, huh? LOL

If he was a big white dude basically telling you the same thing would you have posted this?

Quote:
I'm from southern Virginia by the way.
And what does this have to do with the man being black and playing a loud game?

Again, if he was WHITE and BIG and telling you in his Italian American Staten Island accent the SAME THING this black guy did, would you have posted this CRYBABY nonsense?

Old 09-25-2014, 09:34 PM

384 posts, read 512,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

Again, if he was WHITE and BIG and telling you in his Italian American Staten Island accent the SAME THING this black guy did, would you have posted this CRYBABY nonsense?
By his own admission, probably not, considering his post is about how it is difficult to approach a black person when they are acting anti-socially because of the bad history between black and whites.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshoe View Post
By his own admission, probably not, considering his post is about how it is difficult to approach a black person when they are acting anti-socially because of the bad history between black and whites.
Whatever.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:39 PM

900 posts, read 2,373,272 times
Oh please, race does play a part of it.

We all know there are some black people who intimidate white people merely because they are black with many as the poster stated that he was somewhat intimidated either because race was a factor or because the guy was bigger. I do say this if the loud ear plug wearing guy was a big white guy and the person asking was a small black guy it could possibly be the same, especially surrounded by a mostly white crowd.

Poster, as others have stated rude is rude there may not be a nice way of asking. Best way to handle it is what you eventually did, walking to another part of the boat than risk confrontation.

One problem with white people asking any black person to do something is one that has a chip on his shoulders to begin with, meaning if you approach someone with the attitude that you should do x, y, or z because it's the way you believe to be right or that a person should live as you do because. . . . You'll just find you might put off a black person by that mere fact. Not saying it's right but you have a$$holes in the world like this who doesn't give a damn about anyone else.

It's just best to leave them be and let the jerk find out later all that loud earpiece wearing has him going deaf.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:44 PM

237 posts, read 330,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertHarrisontheThird View Post
They did 80 years ago. Black-on-white violence was very rare before the 60s. Whites couldn't be destroyed by nonwhites calling them racists. Every week we some notable white figure getting called a racist and losing his job or worse. The only time I see nonwhites suffer from being accused of racism is if they offend Jews. If they only offend white gentiles nothing happens to them.

Nonwhites are protected by the Jewish establishment. Accept the obvious.

Nonwhites fear being called antisemites, which is why they tend to be very submissive to the Jews.
This guy's trolling hard with an agenda. /ignore.

OP: You made this about race, instead of making this about an ignorant INDIVIDUAL HUMAN BEING. You clearly fear black men; I bet that fear shows with every interaction you have with us(I'm a black man). we see that; it puts us in a negative place, especially if we've done nothing to earn your fear. Things tend to go downhill from there damn quick. Were you robbed/assaulted by black people at some point in your life? where does your fear come from? I honestly want to know. And, ask yourself this: If you're just a normal, non-thug black man walking through this world, how do you think it makes us feel when someone like you, or a white woman who grabs her purse, or the cabbie who won't stop, or the store clerk who just KNOWS you're gonna steal something, or the cops who goes all "stop and frisk" when we're just walking down the street, or any of the hundred other ways we, the decent people of color in america, get disrespected DAILY...do you have any idea how that feels? it's like having psychological warfare(and, in the case of the police, physical warfare) carried out against you every day. We are constantly shown how not wanted we are in american life, yet, we fought for america's independence, and helped build this country from the ground up.

Now, does that excuse the violence, drugs, high birth rate, low employment rate, etc etc etc? no. But, what I wish people who are considered "white"(which is a meaningless term, just like black) would understand is, we are just as individual as you are. It's deeply unfortunate to be considered so monolithic, because its not the truth. the truth is, we have elites setting the people against each other in a bid to stay in control. Instead of falling for the "racial oke-doke", I'd encourage everyone to see the whole chessboard. You're blaming your neighbor for things, meanwhile, the biggest criminals work in washington and Wall street, not on 125th st. Not in bed-stuy. Not in washington heights. Be smart enough to see you're being played, and STOP GIVING IN TO FEAR.

OP: that dude was an *******. But he's just one guy,he does not represent THIS black man, nor does he represent most other black men or women. Expand your thinking, let go of fear.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Oh please, race does play a part of it.

We all know there are some black people who intimidate white people merely because they are black
It kills me how WHITES are scared to death of blacks, when THEIR HISTORY towards blacks in this country up until the 1980s was the vilest, most disgusting acts of inhumanity ever done to human beings with only the native americans being second as victims of white depravity.

All a black person has to do to "intimidate" an already scared white person is be BLACK. Period.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:56 PM

900 posts, read 2,373,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
It kills me how WHITES are scared to death of blacks, when THEIR HISTORY towards blacks in this country up until the 1980s was the vilest, most disgusting acts of inhumanity ever done to human beings with only the native americans being second as victims of white depravity.

All a black person has to do to "intimidate" an already scared white person is be BLACK. Period.
So true, which is what I think is a part of police brutality and as Seansean expressed many white people seeing all blacks the same and as being thugs.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:57 PM

5,140 posts, read 4,976,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I don't really see how racism has anything to do with it. The guy was a douche point blank but he is one person and is not indicative of every black male in this city.
if you frequent harlem and washington heights, you would find that this guy is not alone but there is a big cultural group behind him who think that they are entitled to talk loud non stop wherever whenever.
i fully appreciate OP's point. there are to many uncivil creatures break loose everywhere in nyc which inflicts emotional crimes to regular ppl. the sad thing is, nyers are becoming overly tolerant to such uncivil behavios to the point that everyone seems to be afraid to stand up agaist such low life behaviors which make them thrive in nyc. a lot of these will not occur in the south or on the west coast because lthere are plenty out speaking ppl who are ready to correct them at anytime anyplace just like what o did.
op, never be afraid of fighting for your right to peaeful enjoyment in public arenas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City