Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 04:47 PM

300 posts, read 374,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
No one really cares, honestly.
Are you really in Texas and commenting on an event that happened in NYC? If so then you really do care, honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 04:49 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
My "attack" was in response to your condescending comments to other posters which I have seen in a number of your responses for some time now and after you came for me with that snarky remark in the informal dress thread, my frustration blew over and I simply expressed my opinion about it, which I have a right to do. The worst I said was that your censoring tactics were that of a bully. If that's an attack then so be it.
Oh, you woke up on the wrong side of the bed and got frustrated, had a fit, made sarcastic remarks to me and called me a bully. I see. It's interesting that you chastise me for what you consider bad behavior while behaving like a snarky bully yourself. Look in the mirror and get a grip.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:52 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
Are you really in Texas and commenting on an event that happened in NYC? If so then you really do care, honestly.
Thanks for the lolz.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:14 PM

205 posts, read 507,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I just reported you for a personal attack. The bully is YOU!

All I did was express my opinion, which matches some of other opinions in this thread. I don't know what your problem is. All you've done today is attack me, and you think you are somehow in the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
OP is getting attacked in this thread for speaking the truth. Ethnicity and culture has everything to do with this city within the context of everyone trying to make it.

I'm native and its always been evident that this city is heavily segregated. Not just along ethnic lines but also along cultural boundaries.

Over the years (I was born in the mid 80's), this city has become less white so the ethnic boundaries have become much more visible. By the same token, certain ethic groups (mostly from the Caribbean) have taken to hating on whites. Why? "Whites have all the good jobs and all of the money". Back in their countries of origin they fought each other like cats and dogs and here in NYC they've found a common enemy in whites. Btw, I'm not talking about native Black Americans, the 18 or so of them left in NYC.

I've had friends visit me and nearly all of them commented on the racial undertones that are all too visible in this city. It's not a bad thing. It is what it is.
pretty much. *sigh*

Old 09-25-2014, 05:15 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
If anyone --- black, white, green, purple --- has the volume of their device loud enough to annoy others, they already don't give a hoot. If they had any kind of consideration, they wouldn't have it loud like that to begin with.

The other side to this coin is, you are on public transportation.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:53 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
OP

Since no one is a mind reader, nobody knows if this guy was rude, uncivil, and obnoxious because A) he was taking it out on you, as a white guy B) he would act that way to anyone who asked him to turn down the volume, regardless of race or ethnicity or C) he was stoned out of his mind (which was actually one of my first thoughts)

So I think jumping right away to possibility A is premature. Possibility B is, in my own experience, is probably more likely, though possibility C could be true too.

Basically you just have no way of knowing. The correct move was, as you did, just move away to somewhere quiet. Incivility is, unfortunately, a part of big city life --as is racial animus. Mistaking one for the other, however, with no basis with which to judge -- and like I say, you couldn't read his mind -- is a mistake, and one that all types of people make.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:26 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
Quote:
NYC is very segregated, so I find it funny that people have preconceived notions about southern states. And assume the city is one big melting pot because you see so many different faces.

Absolutely True.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:59 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
NYC is very segregated, so I find it funny that people have preconceived notions about southern states. And assume the city is one big melting pot because you see so many different faces.
Murder trial begins for Florida man who fatally shot teen during loud music spat* - NY Daily News

Old 09-25-2014, 07:41 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertHarrisontheThird View Post

But your points are understandable. When Jews rule, all gentiles suffer, regardless of their color or culture.
Another truly offensive fiction.

For the OP, who is the bearer of this "inherent racism" ?

Old 09-25-2014, 07:47 PM

274 posts, read 297,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
just because you're from virginia doesn't mean new yorkers have to think like you.
you might have more manners and courtesy but that won't keep the next person
from being a jerk. you will learn as time goes by to just forget about petty stuff.
Oh get off of it dude. You think people have the right to blast music/game noises that disrupts other people in public spaces? Spare me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City