Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 11:59 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times

Advertisements

For those who purchased in Bed-Stuy, did you consider Harlem at any point?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 01:00 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
For those who purchased in Bed-Stuy, did you consider Harlem at any point?
Yes. However I looked at several areas and properties that fit specific criteria for the type of property I wanted. This included Harlem but also Greenpoint and East Williamsburg (not Bushwick, I'm talking about places near the Graham L stop). Like most buyers, I has a set list of what I wanted and certain things were important to me so I looked at many properties in different areas that met my set list. At my price point, I had a lot of options, pretty much any neighborhood except maybe SOHO or the West Village IF I ignored my set criteria. I could have gotten a studio co-op in manhattan or a small one bed condo in other parts of BK but that's not what I wanted. So when I set my criteria and price point, I got Bed Stuy, Greenpoint, East Williamsburg, and Harlem. I ended up in BS because the property met everything on my check list and "felt right".

Old 09-30-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Yes. However I looked at several areas and properties that fit specific criteria for the type of property I wanted. This included Harlem but also Greenpoint and East Williamsburg (not Bushwick, I'm talking about places near the Graham L stop). Like most buyers, I has a set list of what I wanted and certain things were important to me so I looked at many properties in different areas that met my set list. At my price point, I had a lot of options, pretty much any neighborhood except maybe SOHO or the West Village IF I ignored my set criteria. I could have gotten a studio co-op in manhattan or a small one bed condo in other parts of BK but that's not what I wanted. So when I set my criteria and price point, I got Bed Stuy, Greenpoint, East Williamsburg, and Harlem. I ended up in BS because the property met everything on my check list and "felt right".
What was Harlem lacking for you? I honestly find Harlem and Bed-Stuy very similar, only thing to me is that Harlem has better public transportation options.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:11 PM

49 posts, read 49,055 times
7th that is actually a very good question and I wonder whether those 2 nabes are in competition. I agree with the better transportation, but I also think Harlem has better Brownstones (and more of them), and much more upside.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:17 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,730,715 times
Even on the far side of bed stuy people have pie in the sky ambitions

643 Halsey St, Brooklyn, NY 11233 is For Sale - Zillow

Old 09-30-2014, 01:22 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,447 times
Quote:
What was Harlem lacking for you? I honestly find Harlem and Bed-Stuy very similar, only thing to me is that Harlem has better public transportation options.
I was looking for specific criteria in a place. Like how when you search for a property and want it to have something like outdoor space or a door man, etc. I set my criteria I for three specific things that were a must and evaluated properties based only on that criteria. The place in BS won because it met MY specific criteria. There were some places that had the three criteria but didn't make the cut because something else was off like "I don't like this block" or "it's too far from the subway". Had I found the exact same property in Harlem, I may have ended up there.

Also I forgot to say this before but at the time, a few places in South Park slope came up but I had to eliminate them because one of the things I wanted was parking and they were asking an additional $50K for the parking and that would push me into an uncomfortable purchase amount.

I should point out that I'm not in a brownstone but my selection process is relevant to the question.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:24 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
I'm snap replying to this, so I don't know if anyone else has said this.

Blah has a fairly low level of control over much of the welfare complex. Most of the money comes from the state and federal levels. Cuomo hasn't shown much interest in this, and is likely to be a shoe in for reelection. At the federal level, the Republicans will likely maintain control over the house, and it's somewhat likely that they'll take the Senate. So, no, there won't be much more in the way of social service money heading to the city.

And without the ability to control much of the rent regulation laws, the city can't do that much about non-government housing going upmarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
Remember why deblasio got elected ??? "Tale of 2 cities" . Trust me the programs for the poor are not ging anywhere and money WILL be found.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I was looking for specific criteria in a place. Like how when you search for a property and want it to have something like outdoor space or a door man, etc. I set my criteria I for three specific things that were a must and evaluated properties based only on that criteria. The place in BS won because it met MY specific criteria. There were some places that had the three criteria but didn't make the cut because something else was off like "I don't like this block" or "it's too far from the subway". Had I found the exact same property in Harlem, I may have ended up there.

Also I forgot to say this before but at the time, a few places in South Park slope came up but I had to eliminate them because one of the things I wanted was parking and they were asking an additional $50K for the parking and that would push me into an uncomfortable purchase amount.

I should point out that I'm not in a brownstone but my selection process is relevant to the question.
Thanks for your input.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:36 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times
Quote:
This response is the closest to the truth. You think Bed-Stuy is gentrifying rapidly? I would say more at a steady pace, due to the size of the neighborhood. My idea of rapid gentrification would be Williamsburg, which I think has gentrified the fastest out of any NYC neighborhood.
I'd say Bushwick is gentrifying at a more rapid pace than Bed-Stuy.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:40 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,758,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Even on the far side of bed stuy people have pie in the sky ambitions

643 Halsey St, Brooklyn, NY 11233 is For Sale - Zillow
You really have no idea what you are talking about. My place is on Macon and 1 block west of this place. It is identical to this place and I was offered 1.495 last month. Which by the way was full asking price.

Last edited by Above Average Bear; 09-30-2014 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: Corrected error on size of my place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City