Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 07:29 PM

913 posts, read 2,273,198 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine got under 5,000.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:21 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
for anyone who missed out this time, more to come.

Quote:
A 2001 rezoning of 34 blocks of Long Island City allowed for the current development boom sweeping through the Queens neighborhood. Its purpose was, in the words of the Wall Street Journal, "to spur residential high-rises while looking to maintain a mix of manufacturing and commercial space." But now the city has gotten around to thinking, hey, what did we want to save all that manufacturing space for again? More high-rises! And hence, another rezoning is being considered.

The new rezoning would, ostensibly, result in more affordable housing, as well as improvements to schools and transportation, and office space for tech companies. City Council Majority Leader Jimmy Van Bramer, who represents Long Island City, described himself as being, "very much open to this idea as long as it includes those things that I already outlined and is done in a smart way that speaks to the needs of community and takes into account the additional folks who will then be in the neighborhood."
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...ore_towers.php

Old 01-16-2015, 12:22 PM

170 posts, read 315,409 times
As a side note, I think it was mentioned up-thread that these properties would likely have stringent credit score requirements, but the FAQs on the developer's site (FAQs | Hunter's Point South Living - BRAND NEW - Studio, 1-Bedroom, 2-Bedroom, and 3-Bedroom Moderately Priced Rent Stabilized Apartments) seem to indicate that this is not the case.

Quote:
Credit screening and criminal background screening will be completed for all eligible applicants. Credit screening for low income applicants considers a variety of factors including amount of debt supported by the household; recency of bankruptcy, if any; outstanding judgments or liens; the extent of negative credit lines. Credit screening for middle and moderate income applicants relies on a third party service that incorporates a multitude of factors into its score; households with a benchmark score below 500 will not be accepted.
TLDR: Nowhere does it say they're requiring credit scores over 650 or 700.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:39 PM

44 posts, read 39,398 times
So how does this current lotto works? Are all the log numbers put in a raffle and chosen at random? or is it by numerical order? so the first 900+ folks are chosen automatically? why keep the lotto open until 92,000 are set in? One would think after having 10,000-20,000 would be enough and close it.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:05 PM

6 posts, read 13,864 times
This is what I think. They pick put applications at random and give everyone a log number. Then they start with log #1. But keep in mind not everyone is eligible. So if #1 is not eligible then they skip to the next one. I heard the number of people on the list will be 20 times the number of apartments, so that would be around 18,000 people for this lottery.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:47 PM

913 posts, read 2,273,198 times
Applicants get chopped down in phases. Credit score, housing court, arrest records, and all that other stuff get factored in. Also, many people don't respond when they get called, so they move onto the next one in due time. Some people apply and lie about certain things, or were employed before but are now unemployed when they got called or own real estate property and get disqualified.

There are so many reasons.

The low income one is super restrictive. The fact that someone can live off 25K in NYC and raising 3 to 4 kids under the age of 10 is a miracle.

I recently won a lottery and wrote about my entire experience and process on here. Please feel free to read for more guidance and details.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:36 AM

96 posts, read 101,682 times
I got a log # of 1,111

I am hoping for the best

Old 01-18-2015, 10:38 AM

272 posts, read 534,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c983c View Post
I got a log # of 1,111

I am hoping for the best
Start packing!

Old 01-18-2015, 10:45 AM

9 posts, read 19,052 times
Copied directly from their web site:

How Applications Are Processed:
All applications are randomly ordered and assigned a log number based on this order. To maintain fairness, housing
developers work in order of the randomized log numbers which provides basis for resident selection and the process of verifying eligibility of applicants. Applicants that meet one or more preferences will be given first consideration. See Step 2 for a list of the preference categories.

When Will You Hear Back?

A property may receive anywhere between 200 and 40,000 applications. You may hear about the status
of your application within two to ten months after the deadline. However, because there are so many applications, you may not be contacted, even if you qualify for the property for which you applied. Your chances of being contacted are greatest if you are randomly assigned a low log number, OR you meet one or more preference criteria.

So that being said even if your log number is a high one BUT you fall into the category of meeting preference criteria like being a NYC employee or living in Sunnyside/Woodside/LIC your chances are still favorable of being considered regardless of log number.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:42 PM

272 posts, read 534,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno34 View Post
Copied directly from their web site:

So that being said even if your log number is a high one BUT you fall into the category of meeting preference criteria like being a NYC employee or living in Sunnyside/Woodside/LIC your chances are still favorable of being considered regardless of log number.

My point all along is that if you are in one of those subcategories then your position is UNKNOWN. If you are in the NYC Employee category and 65,000 other people in the 93,000 are as well then your odds don't really get much better. If they would release the sub-category statistics then it would be a little clearer.
Since this data is being handed to them in a searchable form they know all these stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery