Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 10:49 AM

43 posts, read 76,615 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I just checked out a house three blocks from the Q-54 that goes to the Jamacia Van-Wyck station.

I plan on commuting to work to an AmeriCorps position in Manhattan in the mornings and coming home at nights at the usual 7 in the morning and arriving home at 6 PM at night.

I was wondering, as a white male, is this particular station safe at night?

I don't plan on partying because I'm just working during the week, but I'm worried if there are any delays on the train or buses.

Also, the station is like 8 blocks from the house as well so I could also walk it.

Judging from what I saw inside CVS nearby, I saw mostly Indian people, a couple Spanish people, and probably only like three or four black people (all of which looked like they were with families and/or working).

My street according to the landlord is mostly Indian anyway, so it seemed alright anyway, but again, I'm going to be alone so I just wanted to know a couple of people's thoughts on this.

Thanks a bunch for reading my post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 10:51 AM

34,033 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGreen91 View Post
Hello,

I just checked out a house three blocks from the Q-54 that goes to the Jamacia Van-Wyck station.

I plan on commuting to work to an AmeriCorps position in Manhattan in the mornings and coming home at nights at the usual 7 in the morning and arriving home at 6 PM at night.

I was wondering, as a white male, is this particular station safe at night?

I don't plan on partying because I'm just working during the week, but I'm worried if there are any delays on the train or buses.

Also, the station is like 8 blocks from the house as well so I could also walk it.

Judging from what I saw inside CVS nearby, I saw mostly Indian people, a couple Spanish people, and probably only like three or four black people (all of which looked like they were with families and/or working).

My street according to the landlord is mostly Indian anyway, so it seemed alright anyway, but again, I'm going to be alone so I just wanted to know a couple of people's thoughts on this.

Thanks a bunch for reading my post!
It's right by Jamaica Hospital....its not a high-crime area, you should be ok

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-05-2014, 11:42 AM

Oh okay. Thanks a bunch.

It helps to know because I also help out volunteering at different churches throughout the week, so its good to know since I will be alone.

Even my sister's boyfriend said above hillside avenue is fine so it should be fine.

I'm really only looking to work and not party like every other young individual I've met so far -_- lol.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:27 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,079,693 times
Quote:
Even my sister's boyfriend said above hillside avenue is fine so it should be fine.
Jamaica - Van Wyck station is south of Hillside Avenue, not "above" it.

About 15-20 years ago a token clerk in that station was attacked, maybe one of those "torching" style attacks, I don't remember the specifics. Going even further back, crack dealers used to sell on the street at Jamaica Avenue and the Van Wyck Expressway service road. Sure that was a long time ago and while street crime has been reduced the area itself has not been gentrified since then.

During early evening hours the station and surrounding streets should be fine to walk but it's a rather desolate area with not much foot traffic even with Jamaica Hospital a couple blocks away.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:07 PM

^ Oh okay.

That boyfriend used to do deliveries in the area, so he wasn't too familiar with it. Its weird because its kind of in Kew Gardens but near the border anyway. Hence why I'm asking about the station itself.

It seems like one of those things that as long as you don't seek trouble with other people, you should be fine.

Thanks for the insight. I didn't see much people at all on the streets which felt a little weird, but it was a rainy day anyway when I went to see it the other day.

Plus, I'm not looking for a gentrified neighborhood anyway honestly. I can't afford any of the other ones to be very honest. Even though I'm staying with a friend in Astoria right now, I could never afford this neighborhood. Though it is pretty quiet, I must admit.

Maybe when I finally get a full time job, but for now, that room seems like the best chance.

Now if only the landlord would respond to my calls today -_-, ah well. Hoping for the best .

Old 10-05-2014, 03:38 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,310,360 times
So really in Richmond Hill?

Old 10-05-2014, 03:41 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Quote:

Now if only the landlord would respond to my calls today -_-, ah well. Hoping for the best .
Maybe busy celebrating Eid this weekend. Seems like the right neighborhood for it.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:00 PM

He seemed like he was Hindu though. His wife had a red dot on her forehead, and he was in a white single piece Indian garment.

I didn't ask if he was Muslim though, but you could be right in that Hindus also celebrate it as well.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
So really in Richmond Hill?
I'm not quite sure. From GoogleMaps, it says its still in Kew Gardens, but near the border of Jamaica.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:18 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Quote:
He seemed like he was Hindu though. His wife had a red dot on her forehead, and he was in a white single piece Indian garment.

I didn't ask if he was Muslim though, but you could be right in that Hindus also celebrate it as well.
Never mind, it was just a thought to make you feel better about him not calling back right away. Obviously I don't know what religion the potential landlord follows, if any. Good luck with your rental process. If this doesn't work out, something else will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City