Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 05:59 PM

106,796 posts, read 109,039,935 times

Advertisements

a complaint is one thing for a cop but you as a civilian are bound by very different rules. apprehending and wrestling with a bad guy as a civilian falls under different laws. as an example if he feels your holstered gun and you guys fight over it ,you are held responsible if the situation escalates and he is shot.

the laws on civilians are very restrictive and everything is an eye for an eye. you bring a gun and he turns out is unarmed ,he was committing a petty larceny but you made him fear for his life even if you did not pull it out . anything he does to get that weapon away from you puts him on the right side of the law and you on the wrong side.

it can cost you 50k just to be found innocent of a criminal charge and you can still face a civil suit.

you should see some of the cases famed expert witness massad ayoob has been called in on involving citizen events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 07:20 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,245,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
citizens make few arrests because we are not out there looking for bad guys
Because that is the job of the police! Who do it!
Quote:
we certainly wouldn't look for them un-armed
Most criminals are unarmed. Most police never fire their weapon in an entire career.
Quote:
we certainly do not want to risk a civil suite or being blamed for escalating a situation.
Neither do police, but they get sued anyway.
Quote:
bad guys breaking in to the cars ... i wanted to ... get a silent pager alarm, come down stairs and nab them one night. but i wasn't going down unarmed
You could carry an aluminum bat, or bash him with your trash can.
Quote:
if i did i could find myself not only in hot water with the law but facing a civil suit as well.
More likely, you're a fraidy cat.
Quote:
if like the old days we got to form civilian posse's and spend our day looking for bad people we would surpass the cops.
Hah! Posses followed the sheriff. Civilians today couldn't catch a cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
what matters is what courts have ruled on the subject..
And your interpretation, that police are only investigators, is mistaken in both law & fact.

Last edited by bigjake54; 10-13-2014 at 07:31 PM..

Old 10-14-2014, 12:16 AM

19,064 posts, read 13,995,482 times
The 2nd Amendment is our most important right. The inherent right of self-defense in absolute. Every law abiding citizen should be easily able to legally carry a firearm for self-defense and should do so!

Old 10-14-2014, 05:46 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,763,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The 2nd Amendment is our most important right. The inherent right of self-defense in absolute. Every law abiding citizen should be easily able to legally carry a firearm for self-defense and should do so!
Absolutely, I've been legally armed since the age of 21 and intend to stay so.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:54 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,245,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I've been legally armed since the age of 21 and intend to stay so.
Just don't shoot anybody who doesn't richly deserve it, OK?

Old 10-14-2014, 09:59 PM

19,064 posts, read 13,995,482 times
I detest "Americans" who do not avail themselves of the right to own a firearm, at the least in their home. Every American should own firearms. I am very rarely ever more than 10-15' from a gun.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:15 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,763,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Just don't shoot anybody who doesn't richly deserve it, OK?
That is sound advice considering the politics of this city.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:50 AM

363 posts, read 818,155 times
I would like to hear from the OP on where he/she got their information from?

Old 10-16-2014, 11:11 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,756,235 times
There is an easy answer to gun violence in NYC. Set up training classes to teach all the gang bangers how to shoot PROPERLY!

Right now you have thugs who have never shot a gun before drive up to a street corner with their gun cocked sideways like some Ice Cube movie and they just start blasting in the general direction of their target. Instead of hitting their mark, they hit some kid in a stroller.

If they actually knew how to shoot they would maybe hit their mark (another gang banger) rather than the kid. One less gang banger on the street and no dead child. Win win!

Old 10-16-2014, 11:16 AM

671 posts, read 891,705 times
Even if they had Supermans cape they would be late to a shooting....Your talking NYC where a bicycle can get one several blocks faster than a car,,or on horseback for that matter....As for Superman he would be arrested for violating the no fly zone laws.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City