Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 02:13 AM

943 posts, read 4,259,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
Yeah, they would never make it 19.99 a month for everyone. They'd lose money and close up shop if that happened.
Well, they are. They have done it at most of the suburban gyms and they have just started in the city. Here is an example of my gym 115 and 5th.

MySportsClubs | Club Detail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 08:23 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
My Health Insurance includes a free gym membership, and I can go to almost any NYSC or Bally's.

I have two NYSC clubs in my neighborhood, one at 86th and Lex and one at 91st and Third. I certainly hope they don't drop out of the Silver Sneakers program because to get to a Bally's would require a bus or subway and result in my blowing off the gym at every opportunity.
Easy enough to skip work outs as it is without having to traipse across town first.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:03 PM

721 posts, read 1,567,163 times
So you can only go to one location for $19.99? I pay $50 but I use two locations pretty regularly. Both are kind of far but I follow one instructor-- if that teacher left I'd quit and join a more convenient location close to my house.

I do hope they continue the silver sneakers program. Lots of seniors use one of the locations I go to and it is great for them.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:43 PM

769 posts, read 1,015,198 times
The OP is wrong.

The $19.95 promo deal is only for select, minimalist NYSC's that are in close proximity to, or competing against places like Planet Fitness.

These NYSC's are true gyms either. They are minimalist buildouts just like Planet Fitness, ie..no squat racks, TRX rooms, deadlift bumper plates etc...

Old 11-21-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:

deadlift bumper plates
What's a deadlift bumper plate? Is it the seat that you sit in and push laterally?

(My gripe is NOBODY has a good pec deck anymore. The full arm extension models tortures the wrong tendons in elbows and shoulders and wrists before the pecs get a good burn. Who decided the wrist is a stong as the chest???? And exposing the rotator cuffs to such a lever arm is just plain goofy. For a good pec deck I would take a subway ride.)

Last edited by Kefir King; 11-21-2014 at 07:07 AM..

Old 11-21-2014, 08:02 AM

769 posts, read 1,015,198 times
Bumper plates are the large black rubber olympic plates that bounce when you drop the barbell on the ground during a heavy deadlift.

They usually look a lot bigger than the typical plates that are 25 and 45 pound. They are wider which serves to distrubute the weight further down the bar for a deadlift. Sometimes they are cast in kilograms, as opposed to pounds for international competition, or folks who are training for such.

I would post a pic, but Google is blocked here and I can't find anything related on baidu.

The NYSC on 86th and Lex is a full service gym and they should have them. Haven't been there in while.

But any NYSC in a higher income neighborhood is going to have higher end facilities and charge higher membership fees.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:43 AM

943 posts, read 4,259,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
The OP is wrong.

The $19.95 promo deal is only for select, minimalist NYSC's that are in close proximity to, or competing against places like Planet Fitness.

These NYSC's are true gyms either. They are minimalist buildouts just like Planet Fitness, ie..no squat racks, TRX rooms, deadlift bumper plates etc...
Maybe I am wrong, but the New Rochelle gym is another example of one that has switched over. They have a swimming pool, basketball court and more than anything of the Manhattan gyms offer. See below.

MySportsClubs | Club Detail

Old 01-01-2015, 01:02 PM

304 posts, read 782,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I always thought NYSC had good equipment and was worth the $60-80 per month fee...
Maybe...but definitely not at the 217 Broadway location. Equipment are rusted, missing foam padding or just plain broke. Also, air circulation is nonexistent. The vents are there for looks, not function.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:41 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,308,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
What's a deadlift bumper plate? Is it the seat that you sit in and push laterally?

(My gripe is NOBODY has a good pec deck anymore. The full arm extension models tortures the wrong tendons in elbows and shoulders and wrists before the pecs get a good burn. Who decided the wrist is a stong as the chest???? And exposing the rotator cuffs to such a lever arm is just plain goofy. For a good pec deck I would take a subway ride.)
You know you are so right. I was a member if NYSC when it was a Golds gym and they had the best equipment including the best chest machines out there, they carried over to NYSC. I could never find those good machines except at NYSC.

I don't know how the other NYSC's are but the one on SI had everything. I remember when it was a Courts of Appeal and my Dad played raquet ball there. They had the best facilities, the Locker rooms were second to none.the Women's and Men's locker room had their own Jacuzzi, Steam room and Sauna and that carried over to NYSC. I assume it's still the same. I haven't been a member there in 10 years.

They are doing the $19.99 special now. I quit my membership when it went to $75.00 a month, it was cray. I joined the new L.A Fittness they just opened up, it's nice $40 a month I don't love it. I miss my old sweatshop of a gym that I got the best workouts of my life at.

I was thinking about checking out the NYSC again but it's out of the way for me.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:57 AM

No deals at my two NYSC choices: 91st and Third, and 86th and Lex.
Latter is a very nice place, but both pretty much have all I need. Former even has a pool, something in short supply in NYC gyms.

I get a freebie (Silver Sneakers) but from scuttlebutt I think both run around $70 a month with haggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City