Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 11:42 AM

624 posts, read 983,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirst View Post
Do you know where to find something like this?
Craigslist is a good start.

Another option is getting a cheap NYC apartment with or without roomates. My family is in Maryland and I work in the NYC area so if I were to try to commute daily it would be 8+ hours of driving every day! I rent a cheap studio in the Bronx and commute back to MD by bus for weekends. If you wanted to go this route and not have roommates you're probably looking at Staten Island, NJ, and/or the Bronx. Even doing that your commute to work could still be up to an hour, not to mention all of the additional expenses. Living separately from your spouse could be detrimental to your relationship also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 12:04 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
foxfirst:
Do you really need that job? Since you bought your house recently it seems that you can afford that house without it. I'd look for a job closer to home if you really want one. For some it's not the job that they are miserable in, it's the commute. A company may not want to hire you because of that as it may affect your job performance. I know that the company that I used to work for took that into consideration. As for me I would never even consider working in NYC. When I lived in New York both 20 miles and then 45 miles away just visiting there was a grueling experience, whether by car or public transportation. Although there are many that love working in NYC and that lifestyle, I have yet to meet any one that did. I have a friend who lives in Croton and works in the Chrysler building right outside Grand Central Station, he leaves his house at 6:00 am and gets home around 8:00 pm.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:07 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Quote:
Do you know where to find something like this?
Airbnb

Old 12-02-2014, 12:09 PM

26 posts, read 69,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Although there are many that love working in NYC and that lifestyle, I have yet to meet any one that did.
Thanks for your input! I actually have lived and worked in the city before and I really enjoyed it. However, I have never done a commute that is even close to this before so that is why I am so hesitant to even apply.

No, I do not need the job for financial reasons. It is more of a "life goal" job.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:09 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Let me think about that for a second...no.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:14 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
No, I wouldn't do it.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:18 PM

Also, a 5 hr commute taking public transportation....NO THANKS!! I live in Washington Heights and i work in SoHo. I found a carpool with a doctor who lives in Fort Lee, NJ and works in Brooklyn so in the AM i tag along with him. He drops me off at Canal on West Broadway and i walk to Greene St. (25.00 weekly) I get to SoHo around 7;30 am and use the gym on Mercer and then go to work at 9-9;30 am. I take the A train back home.

Imagine the train/buses delays, etc.

You said: Mostly public transportation...because I hate driving. Either way it will be rough (lots of transfers on public transportation versus lots of driving).

Old 12-02-2014, 12:21 PM

26 posts, read 69,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Imagine the train/buses delays, etc.
Right, I totally get your point. I feel like there are major drawbacks to both driving and public transportation...and this is the biggest drawback right here. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Right, I totally get your point. I feel like there are major drawbacks to both driving and public transportation...and this is the biggest drawback right here. Thanks for the reminder.
Your 5 hr commute without any traffic delays/jam can be come a 5+ plus commute with traffic delay/jams and that will take a toll on you, your marriage and your booty!

Old 12-02-2014, 01:53 PM

116 posts, read 145,938 times
If you were to get the job - is there an endgame in sight? For example, you can't move now because you just bought a house - would this change in a year or two? Is your husband's job flexible in that he could move closer to the city and you both could rent a place to alleviate your commute while renting out your own house? If you take the job and hate it after 6 months, could you find employment where you currently live easily (assuming you are working now)?

For a dream job, I would do it. If I hated the after 6 months, and I didn't need the financial aspect of it, I would quit. However you run the risk of "what now?" if you end up loving the job but hating the commute - how long can you legitimately bear it, and would your husband be willing to make a change? That could cause some serious strife down the line!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City