Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:23 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times

Advertisements

lol the decepticons

Hey Scatman did you ever eat at a place on 9th ave and 52nd st called Snow Pea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 06:38 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,655 times
Those kids in the Decepticons kept the cops on their toes back then. They used to wreak havoc at the subway on 50 St, Columbus Circle & 66 St/B'way.

We used to play midnight softball at Clinton Park at 52 St & 11 Ave after work. I'm sure the neighbors were thrilled.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:34 PM

191 posts, read 602,022 times
yea the decepticons... that brought me RIGHT back to the late 80's as a young boy, i remember in school they would have awareness assemblies, and they used to warn us about them all the time. I went to P.S. 238 in Brooklyn.. i remember when it was rare to NOT hear sirens, and i swear the gunshots were almost every single night..

Ummm i would have to say, yes it was really that bad. 1990 = around 2200 homicides... i forgot the exact number. Now that was a real murder capital..

Old 01-07-2008, 01:22 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times
NYC cooled off the the old bad days, but I still think the city is just as bad in some areas. Just last week, the city had 2 police shootings.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:02 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Yes NYC was really that bad in the 70/80's.

I still think NYC is pretty dirty overall. Although it was much more dirty in the 80's.

I was still too young when the decepticons were still wreaking havoc. I don't really remember too much about them. What were they like? Any stories? What colors/clothes did they wear? I just think it's so 80's to name a gang the decepticons. It makes me chuckle.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:12 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Yes NYC was really that bad in the 70/80's.

I still think NYC is pretty dirty overall. Although it was much more dirty in the 80's.

I was still too young when the decepticons were still wreaking havoc. I don't really remember too much about them. What were they like? Any stories? What colors/clothes did they wear? I just think it's so 80's to name a gang the decepticons. It makes me chuckle.
Do a search on you tube for decepticon street gang

Old 01-07-2008, 05:29 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,655 times
I don't recall them having any specific colors... that was a west coast thing at the time. But they were responsible for many of the "wilding" or "wolfpack" robberies & assaults.

Anyone remember the big melee that occurred at the Diana Ross concert in Central Park? I think it was in 1984? I was in college and remember reading about it in the papers but didn't realize how bad it was until I became a cop and heard the stories from some of the older guys.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:24 AM

4 posts, read 5,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chianti View Post
I lived in the city for three years earlier this decade and loved it. Truly the most amazing city in the world. And so safe. I walked around drunk at 2-3 AM many, many times without a fear.

I keep hearing about how NYC was a dump in the 70s/80s with high crime, crackheads, muggers and prostitutes everywhere. Considering how clean and safe NYC is right now I have trouble imagining the city like that. Was it really that bad?
Most of the stuff you hear about the 70's and 80's are exaggerations. Almost all of the precincts in Manhattan had a high crime rate at that time but you were not going to instantly get killed or mugged. Like any bad neighborhood in the city today spend enough time there and you might have gotten mugged though. Places like Times Square at the time had a bad vibe and the people were different. Wasn't gentrified like it is today, it was a bad area. A lot of shady establishments and city SRO's. A lot of the people living there were poor. Selling drugs out on the street or groups of kids hanging around up to no good. Today there are few if any low income people living in that area. It changed a lot because of gentrification. Those low income people now live in Harlem, the outer boroughs or left the city. The only bad areas in Manhattan now are uptown and immediately around the PJ's in the Lower East Side and a few other smaller PJ's. Back then most of Manhattan was pretty bad. So much more economic segregation today.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:20 AM

10 posts, read 51,883 times
Too bad you missed out on the fun times....graffiti, crack heads, crack wars, coke dealers, hookas, Times Square was SCARY but fun at the same time. I got my first fake ID there in 1988 or 1989.....

Old 01-09-2008, 12:24 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
The worst year was 1990.

It really wasn't THAT bad overall. It was nothing like present-day Detroit. The murder rate in 1990 was about 31 per 100,000. About equal to Philly now.

But all I can go off of are grandparents and parents photos and crime rates. I wasn't around 'til '91. But I can say the City looked like ****. I find nothing about it back then appealing. It is much better today. Also, back then the City was extremely segregated... Not the characteristics of a truly diverse city like it is now where people are integrated more.

Why it is constantly glorified as the good days of New York is beyond me. The present days are the good days of New York. New Yorkers 35 years + seem to dog today's New York as too Disney-like and gentrified, but I don't see it. I remember walking throuh New York when I was 6 years old (1997). It looked and felt the same as it does now. Small corner stores, many lights, darker sidestreets, garbage bags on the sidewalk, bagel shops, street vendors, saxophone players, breakdancers, etc. It's still here, older folks obviously just miss the old days of Kool G Rap and Led Zepplin and are trying to think of reasons to say New York is nothing like it used to be.

Last edited by Futcha; 01-09-2008 at 12:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City