Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 09:10 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times

Advertisements

She probably didn't back up because she saw that the gate arm was down behind her car and she didn't want to damage it. She probably figured that she coud better go forward and around the other gate more easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 09:21 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This is the account of the driver who was behind her :http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/05/ny...T.nav=top-news

Aside from all the other weirdness attached to this incident, I find it disturbing that this guy evidently sat in his own car having a quiet conversation with himself about what was about to happen but at no time got out of his car to say anything to her. He "gestured to her with his hands to come towards him" He was waiting for her to ask him what to do ? . Really ? I would have jumped out of my car and dragged her away or at least rolled down the window and screamed "get F away from there,run for your life." Weird.
Talk about being detached. Eerily similar to all the people who stepped over the dead body in the West Side doorway the other day with nobody checking to see what was wrong with him or if they could help.
She was perfectly capable of walking away without his assistance. None of this is his fault or responsibility.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:43 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
The husband of the driver said she will be buried and that she is a victim in this tragedy as well.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:46 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The husband of the driver said she will be buried and that she is a victim in this tragedy as well.
Self-inflicted victim of incompetence. She shouldn't have had a driver's license and is responsible for the impalement of 5 innocent people

Old 02-04-2015, 09:51 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Self-inflicted victim of incompetence. She shouldn't have had a driver's license and is responsible for the impalement of 5 innocent people
Many traffic deaths involve some form of incompetent or distracted driving as well. I remember being told in my driver's ed class years ago that we call them "accidents" but most of the time they are anything but an accident.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:09 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
Quote:
There plenty of blame to go around for everyone. From the local government, Metro North, bystanders, and the driver. If there one thing this country still does well it is play the blame game.

Hopefully something positive results from this tragic event. Nothing productive comes from pointing fingers.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:16 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
For anyone curious...

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/newsgra...i2html-600.png

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...rash.html?_r=0

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-05-2015 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: Do not post copyrighted images. Post only your own images and link to others.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:21 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
There plenty of blame to go around for everyone
No, there's really not. The driver is 100% responsible for their deaths

Old 02-05-2015, 07:12 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

Aside from all the other weirdness attached to this incident, I find it disturbing that this guy evidently sat in his own car having a quiet conversation with himself about what was about to happen but at no time got out of his car to say anything to her. He "gestured to her with his hands to come towards him" He was waiting for her to ask him what to do ? . Really ? I would have jumped out of my car and dragged her away or at least rolled down the window and screamed "get F away from there,run for your life." Weird.
Talk about being detached. Eerily similar to all the people who stepped over the dead body in the West Side doorway the other day with nobody checking to see what was wrong with him or if they could help.

This is not disgusting. I am sure knowing what happened you'd jump out of the car but if you sat in the car instead of him when it DID happen probably you'd do the same. I'd have done the same probably as it happens so quick.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:18 AM

8,678 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
No, there's really not. The driver is 100% responsible for their deaths
I agree.

Probably millions of cars go thru various crossings around the world. She had the opportunity to walk away as its serious once that gate comes down. They already confirmed that the train was not speeding and the crossings were working properly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City