Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:59 AM

520 posts, read 844,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norywinslow View Post
I have two sisters who now live in Dallas and like it, that might be a city worth considering. One of them used to live in NYC and says it of course can't compare, but she still finds plenty to do and likes it well enough.

I used to live in Chicago. Yes, the winters are horrible, but in a lot of ways it's so much more livable there than here -- you can get much bigger apartments (even single-family houses in good neighborhoods!) for so, so much less than here, and you can still live in a fun neighborhood with lots of restaurants and culture. And when it's freezing, you drive everywhere (though you may have to shovel your car out first). Anyway, might be worth looking into. We'd move back there in a heartbeat, if only my husband's job could move with us.

And if you end up staying, I know lots of people here who have kids in one-bedroom apartments. One of my friends built a Murphy bed in their living room; they gave their son the bedroom, so they have the whole living area to themselves after he goes to bed. It works for them.

Finally, for the record, I left a very satisfying and creative (though low-paying) job to stay at home with my son, who is now two. I have never regretted it for even a split second. (But I have friends who are better parents for being back at work, and I get that, too.)
Texas comes up often and I'm intrigued. Admittedly it's still TX and the politics give me a wave of indigestion, but it seems that every place has its setbacks, perhaps I can shut out politics for the sake of better quality of life? I did hear that Dallas is a bit of hick town, I'm not sure if it's an accurate description. As long as a place offers something to do, other than stuffing ones face and visiting parks, I'm content. We can always travel, watch movies and read to get our dose of culture.

Everyone I know raves about Chicago. I was there a long time ago, really liked the city but obviously have no experience as a resident. The deal breaker is cold weather.

Murphy beds are super cool, even if you don't need one. It's great how much positive feedback I got regarding 1br living. Moreover, thanks for being sincere about your choice. Going back to work or staying with children is a personal choice, if the situation allows, there is no universal rule that fits all. As someone said, happy mommy means happy baby. I just hate when people become viciously judgmental regarding either choice. The main thing is to give your child enough attention, and be vested in their discipline and development. Have you thought about moving somewhere warm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City