Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2008, 01:10 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
I think you have to be a resident for most city jobs. I even heard that there was a limited distance you could live to NYC in order to be a city worker.
I think Dutchess County is the farthest north you can live and work for the city? I'm not positive, but yeah, there definitely is a cutoff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 02:18 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus View Post
I think Dutchess County is the farthest north you can live and work for the city? I'm not positive, but yeah, there definitely is a cutoff.
I took a look at www.NYC.gov and most jobs require residence within NYC, itself.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:30 PM

53 posts, read 267,972 times
Hi,

Glad to have found a good page where NYC insiders help newcomers, that´s great.
We´re a family of three from Denmark who´s moving to NYC. My husbond´s got a job in engineering in Bronx, and I´m a professional in game design, architecture and production design for film/tv hoping to get a decent paid job in Manhattan. We´re looking for a place to stay, our budget (untill I get a job) is about 1800 monthly, since my husbond´s income is 95.000/annual basis. We need to be close to both Bronx and Manhattan, we´ve spent many hours looking for apts/2 family houses on Carigs List, but since we´re not familiar w/neighbourhoods as regards puclic schools, transportation, grocery stores and safety we´d be glad for some help. We´ll be buying a car.
Are there any good elementary schools (public) inbetween bronx/Manhattan, and whichh places would be good for us? Our son is 5 yrs. And..Can he get accepted into an elementary school in February 09?

I hope you´ll take a little time out helping us.
Thank you VERY much.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:34 PM

Hi,

We´re a family of three from Denmark who´s moving to NYC. My husbond´s got a job in engineering in Bronx, and I´m a professional in game design, architecture and production design for film/tv hoping to get a decent paid job in Manhattan. We´re looking for a place to stay, our budget (untill I get a job) is about 1800 monthly, since my husbond´s income is 95.000/annual basis. We need to be close to both Bronx and Manhattan, we´ve spent many hours looking for apts/2 family houses on Carigs List, but since we´re not familiar w/neighbourhoods as regards puclic schools, transportation, grocery stores and safety we´d be glad for some help. We´ll be buying a car.
Are there any good elementary schools (public) inbetween bronx/Manhattan, and whichh places would be good for us? Our son is 5 yrs. And..Can he get accepted into an elementary school in February 09?

Thank you VERY much.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishmomNYC View Post
Hi,

Thank you VERY much.

Congratulations on your husband's job. I'm sure you know that unless you have a company to sponsor you, you won't be able to work here legally, right? You husband's company is sponsoring him, and, while you can come along, you can't work.

Why do you want a car in NYC???? It's not necessary and expensive to maintain and insure. Unless you want to live in Westchester, which I recommend, because in NYC landlords require you to make 40x your monthly rent. Which means you'll only be able to afford an apartment that rents for a little less than $2500/month. If you MUST live in NYC, I would suggest Riverdale, in the Bronx. The rent you can afford will scarcely get you a 1BR in Manhattan (and not a very large or nice one) and you'll do far better in one of the other boroughs.

Outside of New York City, in Westchester, you have an even higher likelihood of finding something larger and also usually better schools.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:42 PM

Default Thx for quick reply

Hi,

Thank you very much for listing places that sound appropriate school-wise and commuting-wise. I wonder how long the commute is from westchester by public transportation, and whether there´s something like a train line all the way? I googled westchester, it looks like it´s far away from Manhattan (?) by public means of transport.
I think we got L1 and L2 visas, I´m not allowed to work within the first 90 days in the US, but I´m sincerely hoping to be allowed to work ltr. (Otherwise I´ll gradually become a grumpy desperate housewife).
My husbond believes he will have to drive a car when meeting clients, visiting building-sites etc.

Again, thank you very much

Old 10-27-2008, 06:49 PM

In order to work on an L-2 visa you're going to need to apply with the USCIS for employment authorization after arriving in the United States and, after issuance of the Employment Authorization Document(EAD, Form I-765), you'll be able to work.

I'm not sure why you feel you need to live in Manhattan. Your salary will get you only a very small apartment (and only 1 Bedroom) in a not so great neighborhood with possibly iffy public schools. And understand that Manhattan parking will run at LEAST $400/month (plus taxes), unless your husband enjoys driving around and around, looking for a parking place every night

Westchester is the county north of the Bronx (Riverdale is in the Bronx). People commute from Westchester by rail (the easiest way) to the city every day. It's not that far. And you can depend on schools being better, in general, than in the city.

I suggest that you look in other threads on this board and in the board for Westchester.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:17 PM

Hi Viralmd,

Thanks again, especially for the info. on visa. Just went through some other threads, amazing how plp here are helpful, incl.you. Only reason I´m interested in Manhattan is due to job opportunities, since my specialized field of work openings seems to be there.

Went through a thread on Riverdale, (do you know what school area that is?); this is an absolutely great page for vital information on varous issues.

Thx again

Old 10-28-2008, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 5,175 times
Hello,

I'm looking into maybe moving to your fine city in a year or so to attend graduate school at NYU (Museum Studies). I plan on moving with a friend who only has a high school diploma and some college (dropped out). I'll be a full time student and will be attempting to get a Graduate Assistant position at the university (if I don't then I will not be probably not be attending and thus not moving). Assuming I do decide to attend NYU, my roommate will be working whatever level job he can find. It might be at a hotel (desk clerk), convenience store, retail, or some other low level position.

My questions are: What kind of salary is my roomate looking at working full time at such a place and will he be able to pay his share of rent/bills for a modest 2 br. apt on this salary? And what area do you suggest we begin our apartment search in? (Preferably someplace close, or with at least easy access to the university)

Old 10-29-2008, 09:29 PM

28 posts, read 114,208 times
1) What is your budget?
-- No minimum - $1400 (Is that a proper estimate based on our income below?)
-- Assuming we make $10.00/Hr. working 40 hours a week, and if we go to Hunter, we'll have about $10,000 left over from what we take out in loans here in Missouri for school, approximately $51,000.
-- Just the boyfriend and I. Possibly his brother.

2) Where is your job located?
-- No job yet, but preferably near school.

3) Living circumstances
-- Couple, No kids except for our two Boxers

4) Space requirements
-- One bedroom if possible. We would be okay with a large studio
-- Rental (Co-Op would be desirable as well, although I know you have to jump through hoops to get one, and while my credit is fantastic, my boyfriends is not)
-- >700

5) Neighborhood amenities
-- Not too particular on bars and restaurants. Would like to have some in the general area, maybe just a hang out spot or a dive. Boyfriend is a bartender, but he's willing to commute if the immediate area does not have a bar worth working at.
-- An art scene of some sort nearby. Decent grocery store. Coffee shop (the only real must-have for us). Music venues.

6) Other interests/ General
-- Would like to be near other artists and musicians, but once again, not a must. Most importantly it must be safe for me (a 20-year-old moderately attractive girl). Diversity! I know this is apartment-specific, but pet friendly. Green space preferred.

Edited to add:

We've been looking at the following areas. Any input would be great.

UES: From what I understand it's moderately affordable for Manhattan?
Bed-Stuy: safe? unsafe? What's the commute like to Hunter College?
Astoria: I understand prices are rising, is it still affordable for our budget?
Williamsburg/Greenpoint: Once again, still affordable?
Long Island City: Need annnny general information.
Hell's Kitchen: I know it's in Manhattan, so I'm assuming it's expensive, but what is the rent like?

Of course, feel free to recommend any other places that you feel might fit for us.

And also, I hear horror stories of upper Manhattan (Harlem, Inwood, Washington Heights), are there decent areas too? I live in a city, although much smaller than NYC of course, so I'm not really afraid of city life. I just don't want to be stuck in an area for a year that's shady when I'm new to the city.

Last edited by fanfares; 10-29-2008 at 09:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City