Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2008, 01:23 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times

Advertisements

The other thing about the top floor of walkups (I lived in one): they're REALLY hot in the summer. And they're the apartments that are most prone to break-ins (other than the ground floor) when the felon is up on the roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 01:35 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yollowinwy View Post
I am a 23 year old male from Jackson, Wyoming. I have lived here my whole life and am ready for a change. I have been a Carpenter for almost four years, so something similar to that for a occupation. I have mostly worked on large custom homes. I want to see what the city life is like. I need help on where to look for work, housing, and still be in or near the city if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Many of the trades in the city are under union control, if I am not mistaken. That said, there are some high end general contractors who work in the city and also in the suburbs, Westchester, Long Island, NNJ, and Southern CT, who may have their own employees and are not subject to the union.

It is conceivable to live in the outer boroughs and work in Manhattan or on LI and/or Westchester, but would be extremely beneficial if you drive to work. It really would depend upon where you find a position as to whether or not you would want to live in the Bronx, Queens, Upper Manhattan, etc., depending upon income. It's easier to own a vehicle in parts of The Bronx (the good areas) and Queens than it can be in Manhattan.

Insofar as searching for a position, you could check the employment ads or contact companies directly to see if they have any positions for which you would be qualified.

Here are some resources to check:
Post a Job, Find a Job, Get Career Advice - The New York Times & Monster (NY Times employment ads)

Welcome to The Franklin Report (Lists excellent contractors, perhaps a way to find a position)

Housing can be expensive, that's for sure, but there are decent and safe areas that are not too outrageous in areas of the city, mainly the outer boroughs. They still have a city feel to them, but they might be a little more remote from transportation to Manhattan, etc., which keeps the prices a tad lower.

Also, living just outside the city in parts of Westchester can be a less expensive alternative, provided it's not Yonkers, because you will avoid a city tax on income. Yonkers has a special tax district as does NYC for the locality income tax. You'd still be convenient to the city for work/pleasure, but it might not be as highly urbanized an area, though it's still likely going to be a built-up area.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:52 PM

91 posts, read 428,611 times
What's with the cheap luxury places in the Financial district? Are they having trouble keeping them packed with Wall Street workers? I've run across a few relatively large and relatively inexpensive places in that area. I can imagine it's not much of a residential area but there are a lot of amenities included.

Is this just an area where they are trying to attract renters?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-07-2008 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: No direct links to real estate ads, please.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
What's with the cheap luxury places in the Financial district? Are they having trouble keeping them packed with Wall Street workers? I've run across a few relatively large and relatively inexpensive places in that area. I can imagine it's not much of a residential area but there are a lot of amenities included.

Is this just an area where they are trying to attract renters?
Conveniences are few and far between for residential buildings in the Financial District, hence the lower rents. It's a trek to grocery stores, dry cleaners (the ones that don't pick up/deliver), etc. While this may change over time as more people live in the area, right now it's still a virtual ghost town for residents.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:59 AM

Ah got it. I figured as much. Just trying to get a handle on the pros and cons. I guess I can't post the links for comparison but there were ~550-650sf places in buildings with full everything (elevator, utils, dogs allowed, internet, a/c, etc) running around $2200-ish. Wonder if it would be worth it to walk everywhere. When my gf lived in DC it was like that. We had to walk 10 min to the metro and then ride it a stop or 2 to get to any groceries but she paid like half of what someone would pay in NW DC.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Ah got it. I figured as much. Just trying to get a handle on the pros and cons. I guess I can't post the links for comparison but there were ~550-650sf places in buildings with full everything (elevator, utils, dogs allowed, internet, a/c, etc) running around $2200-ish. Wonder if it would be worth it to walk everywhere. When my gf lived in DC it was like that. We had to walk 10 min to the metro and then ride it a stop or 2 to get to any groceries but she paid like half of what someone would pay in NW DC.
It can be worth it, especially when you factor in that it's not a bad trek to Union Square for the Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and the farmer's market itself in the square several days a week. The only time it could get annoying is when one has to plan to have things on hand, since you don't have the neighborhood establishments in the immediate vciinity. With planning, it could definitely work, however.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:19 PM

Right now I'm just scoping out the options. I already found some jobs that are very similar to my current job and hopefully there are still some around when it gets closer to Spring. I don't see the point in applying now because if I'm not going to be there for 5 or 6 months they will probably just forget about my resume. I'm looking everywhere right now. UWS, Village, LES, and now Financial Dist. for the hell of it and some of the closer stuff in Brooklyn. I see lots of bigger stuff out in Brooklyn but man, I hate to commute. Since I will be living with my gf and making a combined 100-120k I can't imagine we won't be able to find something in the way of a decent 1BR in our price range. I've already found a lot of $2200-ish places by private renters/landlords with no broker. When I'm down in a couple of weeks I will still be goofing off and sightseeing but this time with an eye toward neighborhoods I might like to live in.

edit: but I still wouldn't enjoy a 15-30 min subway ride every time I needed something from the grocery. Chances are I won't choose a place that far south.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Right now I'm just scoping out the options. I already found some jobs that are very similar to my current job and hopefully there are still some around when it gets closer to Spring. I don't see the point in applying now because if I'm not going to be there for 5 or 6 months they will probably just forget about my resume. I'm looking everywhere right now. UWS, Village, LES, and now Financial Dist. for the hell of it and some of the closer stuff in Brooklyn. I see lots of bigger stuff out in Brooklyn but man, I hate to commute. Since I will be living with my gf and making a combined 100-120k I can't imagine we won't be able to find something in the way of a decent 1BR in our price range. I've already found a lot of $2200-ish places by private renters/landlords with no broker. When I'm down in a couple of weeks I will still be goofing off and sightseeing but this time with an eye toward neighborhoods I might like to live in.

edit: but I still wouldn't enjoy a 15-30 min subway ride every time I needed something from the grocery. Chances are I won't choose a place that far south.
It's not all bad in Lower Manhattan, since SoHo and TriBeCa do have some conveniences, but they would be a few minutes walk or quick subway ride. After all, Dean & Deluca started in SoHo and they're on Prince. It's just not going to be as convenient to go to large grocery stores in this area.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:38 PM

Well I am also trying to keep costs down (at least for what would be our first year). While we are getting started in the NY job market we wouldn't want to spend any more than necessary. Our priority won't be on size or luxury but rather something large enough for us and our pup while staying in the $2200 range. That limits use a little as a lot of the nicer 1BR places seem to be $2500 and up but there seem to be some options as long as we take a compromise here or there. I would stay on a 5th floor walkup or sacrifice a view if it knocked $100 off the rent compared to a similar place with better convenience.

What kind of importance do people tend to put on having a doorman? I assume it helps with security but is it generally considered a luxury or more something most people like to have? I can deal with renter's insurance if the risk of burglary is relatively low. Also, do people tend to have bars on the windows like many of the places here in Baltimore? I'm in a good neighborhood but even here many people have bars just for the hell of it.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:07 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Having a doorman is very helpful, because they'll accept packages, take your dry cleaning delivery, screen your visitors, etc. Granted, it increases your rent, but well worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City