Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 04:15 PM

6 posts, read 19,138 times

Advertisements

Thanks citymerlot, will call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 09:46 AM

47 posts, read 138,525 times
You can apply for the PAA titles you see now, if your score is in the 80's thats seems good compared to what am hearing people are scoring on this test. if you only took open comp you can apply to the ones you see now, if hired you will be provisional but that agency can pick you up as a transfer from the agency that has you number eventually , but if called for an interview you must make sure and ask them if that is possible. Thats how i was hired from the Clerical Assocaite list also fyi that way tends to get u a higher offer than minimum salary offered for the title. I was told you will soon see alot of job postings that would state you can apply for the PAA positon as long as you took the most recent exam. Also if your a city worker already and took the opem comp PAA and is looking to get hired by another agency beofre your list number is called make sure that agency takes your title (example take your CA title) just incase cause you will be hired as a provisional PAA until you get certified.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:51 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMINI621 View Post
You can apply for the PAA titles you see now, if your score is in the 80's thats seems good compared to what am hearing people are scoring on this test. if you only took open comp you can apply to the ones you see now, if hired you will be provisional but that agency can pick you up as a transfer from the agency that has you number eventually , but if called for an interview you must make sure and ask them if that is possible. Thats how i was hired from the Clerical Assocaite list also fyi that way tends to get u a higher offer than minimum salary offered for the title. I was told you will soon see alot of job postings that would state you can apply for the PAA positon as long as you took the most recent exam. Also if your a city worker already and took the opem comp PAA and is looking to get hired by another agency beofre your list number is called make sure that agency takes your title (example take your CA title) just incase cause you will be hired as a provisional PAA until you get certified.
That's not how it works for this title. You have to wait to be called in list order per civil service law. You can't apply for a position
Just because you are on the list.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:13 PM

6 posts, read 19,138 times
Does anybody know the dcas telephone number? I called 212-669-1357 and it is an automated system. TIA.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:17 PM

am sorry you have to wait to be called for promotional PAA yes, but if their is a posting for a PAA which states you can applly if your a permanent PAA or if your took the current exam you may apply as well, that doesnt mean you will be certfied but you will be hired as a provisional until your list number if up, but that at your own risk cause if they dnt get to your list or decide not to transfer you from a agency that has your list number you can be demoted or fired , I can say this from experiance took the clerical in 2013 got hired with my agency last year as a provisional, the job posting i applied from stated you can only apply if you took exam 3016 or was a permanent CA already, i wasnt a CA as yet so applied and got hired off the street and when dcas was up to my number my agency hired and certified me from being a provisional CA also with that i got paid hire than an CA 3 . alos a rep from my personnel dept told us you will start seeing job postings from city agencies thats states you can apply if you took the most recent PAA exam , am seeing this for the staff analyst trainee exam, staff analyst exam, administartive analyst exams aswell

Old 08-20-2015, 02:21 PM

again if you took the most recent PAA exam and apply for a job posting that states you can apply if you took the most you will be hired as a provisional until your number gets picked up and you are certified and made permanent. speaking from experiance

Old 08-20-2015, 02:27 PM

any yes you have to be called in list order from civil service law which is true and thats why you will be hired as a provisional until they get to your list number and thats why its a risk cause if you scored to low and they dnt get to your number you can get deomoted or laid, the exam was just given the city does not have to wait for the list to come out to hire PAA's they hire when they need to hire and thats why there is a such thing called provisional workers

Old 08-20-2015, 03:17 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMINI621 View Post
any yes you have to be called in list order from civil service law which is true and thats why you will be hired as a provisional until they get to your list number and thats why its a risk cause if you scored to low and they dnt get to your number you can get deomoted or laid, the exam was just given the city does not have to wait for the list to come out to hire PAA's they hire when they need to hire and thats why there is a such thing called provisional workers
Maybe its just your agency, but thats not how it is suppose to work. There is a reason there is a list wtih list numbers. The way you described it undermines the whole premise of doing good on the exams and getting a high list number. For my agency, the wording is that "you must be permanent in XYZ title in order to apply." You would be skipping the line if you were low on the list, even if its for a provisional appointment since the ones high on the list would have to wait longer for their interviews and potential appointments. Agencies can get in trouble for circumventing the civil service system, read up the Long Beach case here http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...ticle-1.295534 Existing employees were given permanent titles and the agency was not appointing from the list for that title.

For me, you are provisional for 1 year from the time you are appointed with the title. The law allows for a person to be hired without being selected from a list for up to 9 months before having to be let go if a list is established for that title, but this practice is not commonplace. After the 1 year passes and you pass the 1 year evaluation, you are permanent in that title. I've been a city worker for 7 years now, 2 different agencies.

Last edited by nyccs; 08-20-2015 at 03:46 PM..

Old 08-20-2015, 03:58 PM

275 posts, read 572,462 times
Wow Gemini, so I scored well on this exam. If I wait and go the civil service process the way it was intended I may be waiting longer and being paid less than someone scoring 10 or 20 pts less than me??
That seems quite unfair.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:35 PM

Not all true it's an option , u the exam just finished this week the prior exam list got extended until with this year end or next year but the city is still gonna hire for that spoil regardless of the new exam but those who apply for what ever job is out there is basically taking a teo job ( provisional ) cause a new exam was administered and should know the risk of taking the job , those who did take the test first since there was a promotional city agencies are gonna hire off their promotional list first then go to the open comp , but from what I can see city Merlot you already work for the city and might of took the promotional as well as the open comp if that's true and you scored good your gonna get called from your agency first then open comp if u wish to transfer , those getting hired now or before the list is established will not effect you because they are provisional and if they ddnt score high enough for the agency to pick them up and the agency is given a set of list number to hire from they will basically get bumped and that's why when a lady from personnel came to talk to is tolde that if u do choose to take a PAA provisional position before your list number is allied make sure whatever agency it is takes your Clerical Associte or whatever city title with you so if they do bump you or demote you , you will still have your city title to fall back on , somknowniys a lot but just trying to sare the Info that's as shared to me so to answer your question citymerlot yes if someone who scores lower than you applies and takes a provisional PAA job and thier agency is given your list number to hire they can get bumped from that position . Before the staff analyst trainee exam was administered I came across a job posting that said you can apply if you are going to apply to take the exam which I was planning to so I applied for the job got called for the interview but I ddnt get the job but like I said I was able to apply just because I said I was going to take the job , in the end all we can do is hope they get this list together fast and start calling from it even faster cause I assume we are all ready to move up and make more money and advance or careers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City