Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:05 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
Now I have something that I meant to ask long ago:

Many times when I passed by the entrance/exit of Fairway on East 86 St., and also the front of Mister Wright Fine Wines & Spirits on 3rd avenue 89~90th st., I smelled strong gas. It's not just recently--could be a couple years now. Once I asked someone at Fairway and was told something like it's something normal, like, they were doing such and such that's why...

Any explanations?

Since it's been always like this for so long, it may be something "normal", but even if it doesn't result in an explosion, doesn't the gas cause harmful long term effect to the people in the area who breathe it in?

Never noticed a gas smell and I walk by several times a week. Recently fell in love with a cheap Argentinian Malbec at Mr. Wright, so I was in there just a couple days ago.

Gas is odorless but mercaptans are added to produce a strong smell.
I have the best sense of smell on the planet yet I am relatively insensitive to gas, but partner who has nearly NO sense of smell, is sensitive to natural gas mercaptans.

NY, if you smell it again, call Con-Ed...better safe than sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 09:53 AM

544 posts, read 1,527,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Never noticed a gas smell and I walk by several times a week. Recently fell in love with a cheap Argentinian Malbec at Mr. Wright, so I was in there just a couple days ago.

Gas is odorless but mercaptans are added to produce a strong smell.
I have the best sense of smell on the planet yet I am relatively insensitive to gas, but partner who has nearly NO sense of smell, is sensitive to natural gas mercaptans.

NY, if you smell it again, call Con-Ed...better safe than sorry.
I have great sense of smell, just not as good as a dog... I was often the first to know there's a gas leak in a kitchen. I'll pay attention next time and do something about it (I guess it's not good if I call Con Ed when there is no smell). Or maybe tell the store to call Con Ed.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:16 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
I have great sense of smell, just not as good as a dog... I was often the first to know there's a gas leak in a kitchen. I'll pay attention next time and do something about it (I guess it's not good if I call Con Ed when there is no smell). Or maybe tell the store to call Con Ed.
Remember, this is very important, because if all my cheap Malbec goes boom, I'm going to hold you responsible.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:16 PM

544 posts, read 1,527,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Remember, this is very important, because if all my cheap Malbec goes boom, I'm going to hold you responsible.
You will lose the cheap Malbec for expensive ones

Old 03-27-2015, 04:24 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
LL's use the cheapest labor all the time. They usually don't mess around (the smart ones at least) with gas issues though because you need a licensed plumber for that.
Well the contractor who opened the door that probably caused the spark which in turn the *kaboom* was not only "cheap" but an Albanian contractor. More importantly he was arrested several weeks ago as part of the sweep involving bribing City building inspectors.

Contractor Who Survived East Village Blast Being Eyed by Investigators - East Village - DNAinfo.com New York

Old 03-27-2015, 04:36 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Well the contractor who opened the door that probably caused the spark which in turn the *kaboom* was not only "cheap" but an Albanian contractor. More importantly he was arrested several weeks ago as part of the sweep involving bribing City building inspectors.

Contractor Who Survived East Village Blast Being Eyed by Investigators - East Village - DNAinfo.com New York
Albanian or Polish ? I suspected contractor and owner working together without permits, happens a lot here. Now caused a disaster.

Most of the construction teams and workers you will see in Harlem now are now this or former Soviet and look shady. Not inspiring confidence. Owners probably like them because they are cheap or there is the ethnic connection.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:40 PM

It turns out that the contractor had hired another contractor, a plumber and builder who is ... not a licensed plumber.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/28/ny...ords-show.html

But the owner bears all responsibility for the people who were injured and those who are missing. You do not call your contractor when someone smells gas. You call 911.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:04 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
That sound you hear is from hundreds of attorneys rushing down to this area of East Village.

I give it a week maybe two tops before the first lawsuits are filed or the City is served with intent.

Tell you something else, if those two missing young Latino men aren't found or are found dead then all bets are off.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:09 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Read the article two posts up. The owner of 119 and 121's is f**cked. Going to be Bankrupt from lawsuits and in jail for several years, her life is over.

The owner of the third build, however, just hit the lotto jackpot. Free insurance money, zero demolition cost, full use of air rights and 100% market rate on the new condo tower that will rise

Old 03-28-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Read the article two posts up. The owner of 119 and 121's is f**cked. Going to be Bankrupt from lawsuits and in jail for several years, her life is over.

The owner of the third build, however, just hit the lotto jackpot. Free insurance money, zero demolition cost, full use of air rights and 100% market rate on the new condo tower that will rise
I hope she goes to jail, as well as the contractor and mysterious Astoria sub-contractor, "Ioannis" or whoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City