Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 06:06 PM

31,963 posts, read 27,110,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
A 4th building was damaged as well and it may have to be demolished as well. Some developer can now buy the sites of all 4 buildings.

I am not sure that the owner of 119 and 121 will go to jail. She'll claim she thought her contractor was legit. She'll be able to sell this plot to a developer. Granted she'll have to settle out on lawsuits but she probably will still net a profit from this. And she'll get the insurance money from this unless it is proven she deliberately sabotaged this (and that is hard to do).
It could be long and messy: http://www.newsweek.com/who-do-you-s...xplodes-317507
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Which will prove difficult from jail, if indeed justice is served and they end up there.

By "east of Broadway" I am assuming you do not mean that historical district, actually the one in which I have the most stake. The one with the "new" loft co-ops at Bleecker and Mulberry ...

Lots of active people in that district.
You'd be surprised how nil the chances are anyone will be going to jail.

Years ago a contractor doing illegal work in the West Village caused a building to collapse. A newborn infant died, his mother and others badly injured. Despite all the noise about prosecution nothing happened to the contractor (Joyce Contracting of Brooklyn) and he is still in business today.

Building Collapse Kills Baby and Traps 4 in Greenwich Village - NYTimes.com

Old 03-29-2015, 06:20 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,941,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You'd be surprised how nil the chances are anyone will be going to jail.

Years ago a contractor doing illegal work in the West Village caused a building to collapse. A newborn infant died, his mother and others badly injured. Despite all the noise about prosecution nothing happened to the contractor (Joyce Contracting of Brooklyn) and he is still in business today.

Building Collapse Kills Baby and Traps 4 in Greenwich Village - NYTimes.com
This is a very different world. I have a feeling that examples will be made here. If you think about the media coverage, it is already being set up. Of course, I could be wrong.

I just realized that people would not have told me about that at the time, late 1980s, so I missed it.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:32 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,015,841 times
Quote:
Hey Bub!

As for the landmarked buildings being "gone", you are wholly ignorant of what a historical district designation means aren't you? Long story short the City has significant input into what can go up on those sites. The property owner or owners *can* try to fight in court but would have to claim the rulings were causing a severe "hardship" and or interfering in property rights to an extent if violates constitutionally protected rights.
Considering what judges have allowed developers and large institutions to do in NYC I'd say any developer who bought that lot will get most of what they want.

I'm not sure what your point is.

We know the site is going to be rebuilt. No site in a hot zone like this is left empty.

We know the site will have expensive housing.

All this other stuff you keep ranting about is irrelevant.

You have absolutely no proof the city wants to put significant output into the redevelopment of the site. That is speculation and projection on your part.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
This is a very different world. I have a feeling that examples will be made here. If you think about the media coverage, it is already being set up. Of course, I could be wrong.

I just realized that people would not have told me about that at the time, late 1980s, so I missed it.
Bringing a criminal case and getting a jury or judge to convict are two different things. Right now persons are angry as they rightfully should. The family of those two dead young men in particular must be going through all kinds of hell atm. However historically those involved with even greater disasters in NYC have not served much if any jail time.

Last week marked the anniversary of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire where even though 150 persons died, the owners were not imprisoned. Decades later the Happy Land Social Club fire which also resulted in great loss of life did produce criminal convictions.

Happy Land, Triangle Shirtwaist fires happened same day, 79 years apart

Am not saying do not agree that someone should be sent upstate for a long stay over this; but we shall have to see how things unfold.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:34 PM

18,484 posts, read 31,691,492 times
this is yet another reason why ALL renters must have renters insurance. It is affordable, and there should be no reason at all, why any renter doesn't have it, none.

I'm terribly sorry for the two young boys that have now made the transition.

I don't understand who calls the LL???????? when there is gas smell, you call 911. ASAP.
Like WTF is the LL supposed to do???????

Old 03-29-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
this is yet another reason why ALL renters must have renters insurance. It is affordable, and there should be no reason at all, why any renter doesn't have it, none.

I'm terribly sorry for the two young boys that have now made the transition.

I don't understand who calls the LL???????? when there is gas smell, you call 911. ASAP.
Like WTF is the LL supposed to do???????
The media has released that the tenants were told, through texts that they have now given the DA, that if they smelled gas they should not call 911 or Con Ed but the owner and/or management.

This came out because the restaurant owner finally said this, perhaps in defense of himself.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:38 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,015,841 times
Quote:
The landlord, the contractor, and Con Ed are all potentially liable (particularly given the history of the building, Con Ed knew of the landlords prior illegal hook ups and bad work).

Two of those buildings were no longer rent regulated according to that article. Because a developer won't have to litigate any right to return or buy someone off.

The 4th damaged building is confirmed to be rent regulated. So the landlord may have to buy out tenants, but because this process will take awhile and tenants have to break their leases who knows if any of them will even try to hold the apartment. Of course anyone who buys on this site could fight out in court against anyone returning (simply built and price the apartments above what the rent regulation could cover).

Old 03-29-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:

Am not saying do not agree that someone should be sent upstate for a long stay over this; but we shall have to see how things unfold.
Yeah, I know.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Considering what judges have allowed developers and large institutions to do in NYC I'd say any developer who bought that lot will get most of what they want.

I'm not sure what your point is.

We know the site is going to be rebuilt. No site in a hot zone like this is left empty.

We know the site will have expensive housing.

All this other stuff you keep ranting about is irrelevant.

You have absolutely no proof the city wants to put significant output into the redevelopment of the site. That is speculation and projection on your part.
First of all *we* don't know any such thing. Have already posted a link where legal experts involved with NYC real estate have various opinions.

Second the City does not *NEED* any further ways to exercise rebuilding of those lots, it already has done so by declaring that part of Second Avenue a historical district. It is like talking to brick! Do you understand what that means?

Historic Districts and Landmarking: What They Mean | 6sqft

Does designation prevent alterations and new construction?

No. Landmark designation does not "freeze" a building or an area. Alterations, demolition, and new construction continue to take place, but LPC must review the proposed changes and determine whether they are appropriate. This review helps ensure that the special qualities of the designated buildings are not compromised or destroyed. In addition, new construction may occur when an owner of a vacant lot or building of no significance in a historic district wishes to construct a new building on the site. The Commission has approved such proposals when the design of the new building was found to be appropriate to the character of the historic district.

LPC - Frequently Asked Questions - Meaning of Landmark Designation

As for the balance of your post building *anything* in Manhattan is expensive which will affect the rental rates or condo/co-op prices. This area is not special in that regard, but again *we* do not know nor can predict the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City