Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 10:28 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,986 times

Advertisements

The nicer areas of the Bronx for someone with small children, and you're a transplant maybe too far out. The area's closer to Manhattain , near the subway that are rentals are safer for single people.

I wonder if you are really serious because it's the middle of April and you're still grasping at straws on this forum, and you should be making calls and have something lined up. You can't just show up in NYC with your mom and 2 kids and get an apt in 2 days. It's rough here and frankly you don't have any money. I'm being blunt because you have a good opportunity, but you don't seem to grasp the seriousness of your housing situation. You can do it but now you need to actually speak to realtors and the dance school. Call Bronx realtors also. Check addresses and directions on Google maps. You may be renting sight unseen more or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 10:46 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
The nicer areas of the Bronx for someone with small children, and you're a transplant maybe too far out. The area's closer to Manhattain , near the subway that are rentals are safer for single people.

I wonder if you are really serious because it's the middle of April and you're still grasping at straws on this forum, and you should be making calls and have something lined up. You can't just show up in NYC with your mom and 2 kids and get an apt in 2 days. It's rough here and frankly you don't have any money. I'm being blunt because you have a good opportunity, but you don't seem to grasp the seriousness of your housing situation. You can do it but now you need to actually speak to realtors and the dance school. Call Bronx realtors also. Check addresses and directions on Google maps. You may be renting sight unseen more or less.
But she is commuting to Harlem, not downtown Manhattan. The nice areas of the Bronx will not be too far for her commute. Riverdale, for example, would be safe, in her price range and on the same train line that she would need to get to that area in Harlem.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:27 AM
DAS

I know her situation. You're correct about Riverdale in a lot of Riverdale you need to take a bus to the train, but Riverdale is ideal. I see she can get a 1 bedroom for $1500.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:39 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
You mentioned you are here for a summer program, are you okay with signing a year lease? Most landlords would give you a few months lease.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:57 AM

993 posts, read 1,385,938 times
Look, here's the MTA bus routes for the Bronx. As I recall from lliving in Washington Heights, there are bus connections directly from Riverdale (Bronx) into parts of Harlem, but I don't know where you'll be working in Harlem.

See if you can find a route that's all-bus, rather than bus-to-train. It might be less stressful, even if it takes a bit longer, to just board a bus and not do transfers to subway. If you do transfer, though, it's the same ticket cost.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/busbx.pdf

Old 04-18-2015, 12:20 PM
DAS

She's going to 155characters and Amsterdam.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:42 PM

16 posts, read 15,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post

Thank you for this insightful advice. I have 12 weeks before the program starts, and I would never move my children to an area in a city like New York without first soliciting the advice and knowledge of local residents. This would be considered to be a wise course of action, not "grasping at straws."

I have lived all over the world, in many European and third world countries (and in 12 U.S. states), and I am aware that seeking the advice of locals is imperative before moving into a neighborhood in which you have never lived. I've learned five languages (total) and conducted international independent research on women's rights issues, all while gaining insight on how to keep myself safe in unfamiliar territory (like Sudan, Nigeria, Ghana). (And I'm not really sure that NYC is as rough as the countries in which I've already lived.) The one thing I've learned is that the knowledge of the locals is invaluable, which is why I greatly value your knowledge, insight, and advice.

I will leave your fanciful imagination to continue making assumptions about whether or not I am making calls to realtors and to the dance school.

I appreciate the concern you are expressing for the urgency of my housing situation and for the once in a lifetime opportunity that I now have to train as a professional dancer. Don't worry, nothing will impede me from taking full advantage of the chance to follow my dream. I also have access to my liquid assets that I saved while working totalling tens of thousands of dollars which I can access in cases of emergency (i.e. if I felt my children or I were unsafe and needed to move right away), but which I don't plan on using at all. I will be making an educated decision on where my family will live, and will let NOTHING jeopardize my opportunity to fulfill my dream of dance. So just to clarify DAS, I do have the time, the money (backup-- saved up in case of any emergencies), and the knowledge and intent to continue to solicit and implement the advice gathered on this forum.

I've accomplished all of my goals: educational (master's degree, presented my research at Eastern Psychological Association's national conference, published articles, received numerous fellowships, awards, etc), personal (loving husband and children), and professional goals (high paying psychotherapist position). I am disclosing personal information and being VERY blunt--which I do not regret. I will let NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING stop me from accomplishing my dream to dance.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:37 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
There is something not quite right abut this person.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:47 PM

16 posts, read 15,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
You mentioned you are here for a summer program, are you okay with signing a year lease? Most landlords would give you a few months lease.
I would be interested in a 3 month lease, that way I can just pay up front, and if I am able to stay permanently, I can just extend my lease. If I'm not able to do the training on a long term, I can just sublet for the last two months, or I can just count it as a loss, without actually losing too much money. I've been putting "short term" in the search box on Craig's list, but most of those end up being roommate situations. Do you know the best way to locate short term rentals or landlord's who are okay with them? I would just pay all the months rent up front.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:54 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC ballet mom View Post
I will let NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING stop me from accomplishing my dream to dance.
Good to know I figured as much since you were asking questions. I just wanted to shake you up a little because you really need to get moving on this, and if you already have, wonderful. Only stressing the urgency because there is no place like NYC in all the world, and you seem really laid back, which is a nice way to be, even for here, but you can't be that way when it comes to securing housing here. You have to be on it. Your a mom so I already figured you're prepared for emergencies. After you get housing you can be as laid back as you want to be. You'll see what I mean when you get here.

Another reason for my concern was you have 2 children an sometimes posters are pointed out to places that are far out of the way and very inconvenient for them to get to work.

BTW Craig's list is unreliable in NYC. Lots of con artist use a realty company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City