Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 08:02 AM

8 posts, read 10,053 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm currently living in Limerick, Ireland and will be moving to NYC the end of July, I am looking at accommodation in Queens (Astoria and Forrest Hills) and Brooklyn (Woodside) I'm just wondering are they good places to live and are they far from the city centre where I will be working, I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I went through the forum a bit and didn't see it.

Any tips and advise for moving stateside alone is greatly appreciated !
Many thanks!
TrĂ­.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 08:38 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,049 times
Woodside is also a neighborhood in Queens.

Do you have any idea of the neighborhood in Manhattan (I assume that's what you mean by city centre. That's not a term that's readily used in NYC) that you'll be working in?

What's your budget and what are your requirements in a neighborhood (good restaurants, nightlife etc...)?

Give us a little more information and we'll see what we can recommend. You might want to note what we say just so you can have some places to look at when you come over.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:55 AM

119 posts, read 110,830 times
I would recommend your looking at a subway map online to see how you will be travelling to work from various neighborhoods to see which will be workable.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:55 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Google maps is an excellent place to start to see where things are and how long the transit commutes are. You can plug in Forest Hills, NY, then click directions, plug in your end address in Manhattan, and then click on the train icon to get the public transportation options. (The default is usually driving directions, so that's why you have to make sure to click the train icon)

I would say that in general, all three of the places you listed are good places to live (also good value compared to many other neighborhoods) and have good transportation options.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:11 AM

279 posts, read 521,544 times
A few things to note:

All of the areas you listed are in Queens (Astoria, Forest Hills and Woodside). I don't know if this matters to you or not, but since you are coming from Ireland, you may be attracted to Woodside since it has a sizable Irish population. Another place you may want to check out that has a strong Irish presence is Woodlawn in the Bronx. Lots of young Irish folks moving there from Ireland. It's a fantastic neighborhood. All of them are in fact, and they all have great transport and restaurants and shops to enjoy. Sunnyside (also in Queens) has a decent Irish population as well.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:12 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,922 times
All those places are good with Forest Hills being the most comfortable, but do check your commute time. If you were to move to Forest Hills but work on Wall St, you will not be enjoying your neighborhood much.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
All those places are good with Forest Hills being the most comfortable, but do check your commute time. If you were to move to Forest Hills but work on Wall St, you will not be enjoying your neighborhood much.
Not necessarily. Forest Hills has a number of transport options. Subway, LIRR and commuter buses.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:55 AM

Thanks everyone, as you may have gathered I have managed to get myself confused with my areas! I suppose I was just wondering safety wise (as safe as you can be!) and distance wise from the centre... (city centre is clearly an Irish reference so, thanks for clearing that up! )

I haven't gotten a job yet, I'm hoping to schedule interviews the first week of August - so its a bit hard to state my distance, I suppose in generic terms, what is the best case scenario, and if you don't mind - what should I be 100% aware of when looking up apartments and scheduling viewings?

Thank you all so much, I'll happily repay the favour if any of you guys have questions about Ireland!

Old 06-12-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrionaBump View Post
Thanks everyone, as you may have gathered I have managed to get myself confused with my areas! I suppose I was just wondering safety wise (as safe as you can be!) and distance wise from the centre... (city centre is clearly an Irish reference so, thanks for clearing that up! )

I haven't gotten a job yet, I'm hoping to schedule interviews the first week of August - so its a bit hard to state my distance, I suppose in generic terms, what is the best case scenario, and if you don't mind - what should I be 100% aware of when looking up apartments and scheduling viewings?

Thank you all so much, I'll happily repay the favour if any of you guys have questions about Ireland!
Since you haven't secured anything, if you need a support system, Woodlawn is great for Irish people who need work. They have a great system for newly arrived immigrants where you can get a place and a job. I imagine some of the places listed in Queens (Sunnyside and Woodside) may too, but Woodlawn moreso because it's a heavy Irish neighborhood where plenty of Irish folks arrive on a regular basis from Ireland. In Woodlawn it's word of mouth more than anything for an apartment, and you being Irish will certainly work in your favor. It's also a very affordable area in comparison to the neighborhoods in Queens listed, especially Forest Hills and Astoria.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the avenue View Post
Since you haven't secured anything, if you need a support system, Woodlawn is great for Irish people who need work. They have a great support system where you can get a place and a job. I imagine some of the places listed in Queens (Sunnyside and Woodside) may too, but Woodlawn moreso because it's a heavy Irish neighborhood where plenty of Irish folks arrive on a regular basis from Ireland. In Woodlawn it's word of mouth more than anything for an apartment, and you being Irish will certainly work in your favor. It's also a very affordable area in comparison to the neighborhoods in Queens listed, especially Forest Hills and Astoria.
Thanks 'On The Avenue!' Its sounds terrible but I really want to immerse myself in the US way of life, I obviously do wish to be around Irish People too so I'll totally keep that in mind, thank you! I'm just conscious of the high number of Irish J1 students over at the moment so I really don't want to be classified as the same party going lover as they can be often associated as!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: