Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 05:16 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times

Advertisements

A couple of nights ago (past midnight) I saw someone quickly climb past my window on the fire escape (after noise from below that sounded like someone fiddling around with the ladder down below). My brother who was visiting looked out and told me he saw the person above continuing to climb. But an hour this young man again was climbing up past my fire escape. I told him I would call the police if he continued as he was making noise and shouldn't be there. He apologized claiming that he had lost his keys. The next morning I reported the incident to the representative of my building's management who told me I should have either called the police right away or the bldg. super (whose cellphone number the rep. gave me as I didn't have it before). What would you have done in such a situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 06:13 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,843 times
I would definitely not have confronted them and said I was going to call the police next time. I would have just called them when I heard someone messing with the ladder or saw someone that I did not recognize as the super, for example, pass by my window.

If the person forgot their keys and climbed up once, why would they be going up again an hour later? Unless they were trying to see if their window was locked and once they discovered that it was, went to get something to pry it open or break it. If the person forgot their keys but the door was locked, obviously someone else lives there too and locked the door. They should be trying to retrieve the keys from that person, not prowling around the fire escape.

I would not call the super because that might put them in harm's way if he confronted a criminal. I would call the cops immediately and then alert the super that the cops were coming because someone is climbing. If it's a legit tenant or whatever, let them deal with it with the police.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:35 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times
I would probably call the police because even though I live in a pretty safe neighborhood, the typical crime around here seems to be break-ins. (And especially because I am at the back/side of the building where people don't really have access.) Actually, one time my friend was climbing up one b/c for whatever reason he couldn't get into his girlfriend's place for whatever reason and someone called the cops and he was arrested.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:01 AM

443 posts, read 437,401 times
I'd call the cops immediately without alerting the person. What if they were violent and came after you once confronted? Calling the super or the landlord isn't going to help much either because then you're just putting them in harms way. Just have the cops come out and investigate.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:13 PM

119 posts, read 110,809 times
Definitely call the police if this happens again. And keep your windows that face the fire escape locked.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:14 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
A couple of nights ago (past midnight) I saw someone quickly climb past my window on the fire escape (after noise from below that sounded like someone fiddling around with the ladder down below). My brother who was visiting looked out and told me he saw the person above continuing to climb. But an hour this young man again was climbing up past my fire escape. I told him I would call the police if he continued as he was making noise and shouldn't be there. He apologized claiming that he had lost his keys. The next morning I reported the incident to the representative of my building's management who told me I should have either called the police right away or the bldg. super (whose cellphone number the rep. gave me as I didn't have it before). What would you have done in such a situation?
Dial 911 and report a "suspicious person" climbing your fire escape. The PoPo will be there ASAP and deal with the situation.

Contrary to what many believe the only reason for anyone to be on a fire escape in NYC is just that, to escape a fire. They are not stairways, gardens, extensions of your apartment to sit outside and smoke/drink/eat, etc....

It is not lost upon anyone that the most common method of illegally gaining entry to a NYC apartment is via fire escapes. That is why you call the police and let them sort things out. Trust me if this person lives in your building or whatever once called out/sat down by the NYPD he won't be playing Spiderman again .

Old 07-19-2015, 09:49 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner10 View Post
Definitely call the police if this happens again. And keep your windows that face the fire escape locked.
My fire escape window is the now window that gives my small apt. could air flow so it is essential that I keep open at night whether isn't warm enough for me to use the air-conditioning. I live in a relatively safe neighborhood so the whole thing was quite of a shocking incident. My brother who was visiting at the time looks out and saw the person still climbing above and didn't think much of it and that is probably why I didn't immediately call the police. But if this ever happens again, I will be dialing 911 immediately.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:53 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,126,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
My fire escape window is the now window that gives my small apt. could air flow so it is essential that I keep open at night whether isn't warm enough for me to use the air-conditioning. I live in a relatively safe neighborhood so the whole thing was quite of a shocking incident. My brother who was visiting at the time looks out and saw the person still climbing above and didn't think much of it and that is probably why I didn't immediately call the police. But if this ever happens again, I will be dialing 911 immediately.
Can you get a box fan/AC unit instead? (Even the portable ones work well) Or perhaps even a security gate? having the fire escape window open is not a great ideas as it's often easy access esp in the Summer where people hang out on rooftops in many places. At least put something on the windowsill that will make some noise if someone enters. A can of marbles, cheap figurines etc.

This stuck a chord with me due to my longtime fear of waking up to someone standing over me that does not belong there. A small part of the reason I had large dogs in the past.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:20 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,843 times
There are clip locks that you can put on your window so it won't open any further than whatever point you decide. We used them for years when we lived on the first floor and needed to keep the window open overnight:

Prime-Line Products U 10551 Window Lock, Economy, Aluminum with Rubber Insert - Sliding Window Lock - Amazon.com

Old 07-20-2015, 08:47 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Those window locks will not work with an old wooden frame.

I would never again live with a window onto a fire escape unless it had steel gates.
I did it for 17 years whle neighborhood kids scurried up and down to get to a continuously running roof party.

Cops? Good for nothing.

Last edited by Kefir King; 07-20-2015 at 10:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: