Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 05:48 PM

10 posts, read 23,747 times

Advertisements

I've posted a couple times here inquiring about where to live as a Fordham U. student and have gotten good, informative responses.

I have secured an apartment on Belmont Ave. just north of 187th. I chose this based on its proximity to the school, where I'll be working and studying. I have classes at night that get over around 9, so I'll be walking a couple blocks to my apartment and just wanted any input from residents or things to look out for. I walked the neighborhood in the daytime and felt safe; not entirely sure about nighttime, which is my main concern. I'm a 6'2" male so I'm not too nervous about it-- the apartment is a block from Arthur Ave., and the building is mainly rented by Fordham students.

Just wanted some opinions on the exact area; the super at the building told me it's a safe block. Do I have anything to worry about? I'd like to think I have street smarts, but I've never lived in NYC, just visited there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 05:55 PM

110 posts, read 159,072 times
okay, this is something i wanna tell u.

a tree outside of your apt building can knock down and kill u while u still in bed sleeping
a student from Fordham can still bring a gun to school while u think u are in a safe environment learning

it seems u dont believe what the super said afterward; why bother asking in the first place ?

u need to relax and chill out

u are a big guy, sweetheart

Old 08-11-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latent123 View Post
okay, this is something i wanna tell u.

a tree outside of your apt building can knock down and kill u while u still in bed sleeping
a student from Fordham can still bring a gun to school while u think u are in a safe environment learning

it seems u dont believe what the super said afterward; why bother asking in the first place ?

u need to relax and chill out

u are a big guy, sweetheart
I understand that, and you're absolutely right. I just have heard such a huge mix of things about the neighborhood that it concerns me a little bit in the back of my mind. Could be the stress of moving across the country and the jitters that come with it. I've been attacked by drunk homeless people in Portland, OR who threatened to kill me outside a conveniece store for no apparent reason, so I've been in sketchy situations in the past-- just wanna make sure I'm not going to have to deal with crap like that on a daily basis while I'm living there.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:00 PM

100 posts, read 89,888 times
Do you like wu tang clan?

Old 08-12-2015, 07:26 AM

138 posts, read 208,138 times
I had more sketchy run-ins living in Portland, OR and San Francisco for five years than I've had in more than 16 years living in NYC. You'll be fine.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:34 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
Other than a drunk guy falling off a bus over on Pelham Parkway, I've never had issues in Belmont (...haha). Have fun! Enjoy the authentic Italian on Arthur Ave and that you're probably paying half the rent of most people your age in the city. Go to the Bronx Zoo and Bronx Botanical Gardens sometime too!

Old 08-12-2015, 10:27 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
I went to Fordham, albeit years ago. The area has changed a bit. Back then, if going from campus to Arthur Avenue at night, you wanted to be aware on Fordham Road itself. Things were fine once you hit Arthur Ave.

I get up there periodically and that still looks to be the case. That part of Fordham Road is desolate at night. But Belmont has always had a good deal of students living there.

Good luck. Go Rams.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:35 PM

versicle: I'm from Portland, OR and have had my share of bad experiences as well, mostly with the street kids that roam around. I was on the MAX once downtown around 10pm and watched a homeless girl throw a box of Chinese food at an elderly man in front of me for absolutely no reason, and then start fighting with him— train was stopped, cops called, the whole deal. The aforementioned incident though where I had these two guys threatening to kill me was the worst thing I ever experienced there.

The area around the Fordham campus seemed alright to me during the day, and Arthur Ave. was charming, but I wasn't there in the nighttime hours so I'm not sure exactly what that looks like.

Javawood: the rent is WAY cheaper in the Bronx overall. I was able to get a 1 bedroom on Belmont Ave. for $1100/month, which is totally doable with the job I have at the school, which pays about $5k/semester. I looked into student housing through the university, but for grad students they only have apartments available in Manhattan at the law school, and it costs $10,000 per semester to live with four roommates, which is absurd— that comes out to be around $1,000/week. I could rent in Manhattan for less than that and live alone, so I can't fathom why any grad students there would want to do that. An old school Italian guy owns the building I'm renting from and rents primarily to Fordham students, so it'll be nice having other people from the school around.

Moth: yeah, I will have to walk from the subway up on the Grand Concourse down to Belmont around 7pm one night a week because I have a class at the Lincoln Center, but that's not late at all and the majority of that walk is through shops and commercial places, so I'm not that worried. Once you hit Webster though I can see that stretch along the campus's south edge being a bit dead at night. The neighborhood is ideal for me with the shops and restaurants, plus the proximity to the school. Hell, I'll even have a 7-11 a couple blocks away.

When I visited the school, the grad student who showed me around told me Belmont was full of Fordham kids and can get a little rowdy on the weekends at the bars and restaurants, but that's not a big deal to me. My apartment is in a residential block so it doesn't worry me.

I'm really thrilled to be going to school there, and the student who toured me told me a lot about their department and it seems like one big family, which is not something I'm sure I'd have gotten if I had ended up going to NYU.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:52 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I went to Fordham, albeit years ago. The area has changed a bit. Back then, if going from campus to Arthur Avenue at night, you wanted to be aware on Fordham Road itself. Things were fine once you hit Arthur Ave.

I get up there periodically and that still looks to be the case. That part of Fordham Road is desolate at night. But Belmont has always had a good deal of students living there.

Good luck. Go Rams.
Belmont the neighborhood in general is actually much less safe the further south you go. Fordham road yes can get a bit desolate at night but students seem to be smart about not walking around there alone at night.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 08-13-2015 at 08:02 AM..

Old 08-13-2015, 09:25 AM

624 posts, read 983,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drownsoda View Post
versicle: I'm from Portland, OR and have had my share of bad experiences as well, mostly with the street kids that roam around. I was on the MAX once downtown around 10pm and watched a homeless girl throw a box of Chinese food at an elderly man in front of me for absolutely no reason, and then start fighting with him— train was stopped, cops called, the whole deal. The aforementioned incident though where I had these two guys threatening to kill me was the worst thing I ever experienced there.
I can't imagine something like that happening here in the Bronx or NYC in general. People usually do not mess with strangers for no reason. I think the biggest risks are snatch and run from the train (extremely low probability but possible if you're not aware of whats going on around you), someone trying to rob you outside in the dark, or getting caught up as a bystander in violence between thugs who already know each other and have some kind of beef.

When I was planning to move to the Bronx I looked at many areas including Fordham. Some people mentioned that students are specifically targeted for robberies. Me being a white guy who is barely 30 could easily pass for a student. A woman I know who has lived in Fordham all her life said that actually women are safer than men, as the the thug types still have some sense of chivalry and prefer to rob possibly rough up a man over a woman.

You'll have to gauge the situation yourself, but if you're coming home late from the city it may be better to take a bus from the train station instead of walking down Fordham Rd alone at night. You're moving to a building full of students so I'm sure the others there can clue you into the situation.

Norwood/BP is much safer than Fordham, but if you already have to be over there all the time for school living there makes sense and might actually be safer because you don't need to do a longer walk from school to home each night. I chose my area over Fordham because of safety, green space, and better subway access.

Welcome to the Bronx and NYC. I think you made a smart choice by moving up here and minimizing your housing costs .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City