Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 09:39 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times

Advertisements

It seems to be a somewhat common opinion on here that NYC is segregated but I don't see how anyone can think that

Outside of Staten Island, most neighborhoods have sizeable populations of at least two (but usually more) racial/ethnic groups

And many neighborhoods are incredibly diverse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 09:46 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,356,380 times
Maybe because it is?

I keep on posting this because it makes it so evident.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-map.html?_r=0

If one grew up in this city and traveled a bit around, there's no question that NYC is segregated. I think self-segregation is part of life.

Here's another example just from todays WSJ: Rezoning Plan for Two Brooklyn Schools Riles Up Parents - WSJ .

Old 09-23-2015, 09:46 PM

10 posts, read 9,830 times
Hmm, I can kinda see both arguments (which is a problem I very often have..being able to see both sides of an issue). Let's take Flushing, Queens. More specifically, downtown Flushing. It's Queen's Chinatown, and larger than the one in Manhattan, and also the Brooklyn Chinatown. I can say, "Only Chinese people live there," and while not exactly true, can see why that is the perception. But yes, other groups of people live there too, so it is also "diverse." Now, how the numbers break down percentage-wise, not sure. Are there more Chinese there? Maybe. Are they the only type of people there? No. Are they a sizeable percentage? Yes.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyRood View Post
Hmm, I can kinda see both arguments (which is a problem I very often have..being able to see both sides of an issue). Let's take Flushing, Queens. More specifically, downtown Flushing. It's Queen's Chinatown, and larger than the one in Manhattan, and also the Brooklyn Chinatown. I can say, "Only Chinese people live there," and while not exactly true, can see why that is the perception. But yes, other groups of people live there too, so it is also "diverse." Now, how the numbers break down percentage-wise, not sure. Are there more Chinese there? Maybe. Are they the only type of people there? No. Are they a sizable percentage? Yes.
I also try to see both parts of an argument but there's also statistically significant and statistically insignificant.

I'm White and live in the Bronx. According to the census my census tract is about 13% white and 8% Asian with 61% Hispanic and 15% Black. Is my census tract neighborhood diverse? No. It's a Hispanic/Afro- Hispanic dominated neighborhood. The White/Asian residents sprinkled about don't have any significant impact on the neighborhood.

If it wasn't for me trying to save a few hundred bucks on rent because my Fiancee is currently going to school and not working I wouldn't be here.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Maybe because it is?

I keep on posting this because it makes it so evident.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-map.html?_r=0

If one grew up in this city and traveled a bit around, there's no question that NYC is segregated. I think self-segregation is part of life.

Here's another example just from todays WSJ: Rezoning Plan for Two Brooklyn Schools Riles Up Parents - WSJ .
That map really doesn't prove your point

Most dots I hover over reveal diverse statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyRood View Post
Hmm, I can kinda see both arguments (which is a problem I very often have..being able to see both sides of an issue). Let's take Flushing, Queens. More specifically, downtown Flushing. It's Queen's Chinatown, and larger than the one in Manhattan, and also the Brooklyn Chinatown. I can say, "Only Chinese people live there," and while not exactly true, can see why that is the perception. But yes, other groups of people live there too, so it is also "diverse." Now, how the numbers break down percentage-wise, not sure. Are there more Chinese there? Maybe. Are they the only type of people there? No. Are they a sizeable percentage? Yes.
Going by neighborhood though, Flushing is pretty diverse

Flushing has a sizeable white and Latino population in addition to Asian

Old 09-23-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I also try to see both parts of an argument but there's also statistically significant and statistically insignificant.

I's White and live in the Bronx. According to the census my census tract is about 13% white and 8% Asian with 61% Hispanic and 15% Black. Is my census tract neighborhood diverse? No. It's a Hispanic/Afro- Hispanic dominated neighborhood. The White?Asian residents sprinkled about don't have any significant impact on the neighborhood.
That's fairly diverse in my opinion. The largest group is only 61% of the population, plus there is diversity within Hispanics.

Does a neighborhood not count as being diverse to you unless its population is evenly distributed between like 4 ethnic groups?

Old 09-23-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That's fairly diverse in my opinion. The largest group is only 61% of the population, plus there is diversity within Hispanics.

Does a neighborhood not count as being diverse to you unless its population is evenly distributed between like 4 ethnic groups?
I lived in Israel for a year about 2 years ago. The country is about 74-75% Jewish (as am I). I guess by your definition it's diverse but having lived there I can tell you that it is really not.

Same thing applies to NYC. A neighborhood may be only 75% Black/Hispanic or White or Asian but that doesn't make it diverse.

The 13 White people out of every 100 in my neighborhood are mostly the Supers and their families anyway. lol I'm not even joking. The White/Asian people in this neighborhood have no discernible impact.

Quote:
That map really doesn't prove your point

Most dots I hover over reveal diverse statistics
Zoom out.

Take the big picture view.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:49 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,425,302 times
DIVERSE when money is flowing into businesses. After 5pm people go back to their respective ethnic groups.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,126,600 times
Look at that map and you'll see whole swaths of SE Queens and central Brooklyn that are 90% Black, areas like Corona & Sunset Park that are 90% Hispanic, areas of South Brooklyn that are 90% White. So in terms of residential segregation, we are pretty segregated (also, as far as Staten Island goes, the North Shore has a lot of diverse neighborhoods, and even going down towards the Mid-Island to a certain extent).

The thing about NYC is that people interact a lot more due to the subway crossing through many different neighborhoods of various ethnic groups.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:13 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
This guy explains it well.

LiveLeak.com - White Privilege!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City