Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 12:01 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Good mix of ethnicity in what sense? Having a 20% Asian/White population?

Not that I want it or care for it to be any different but the White/Asian population here has virtually no impact apart from living here.

I have a hard time believing it's even 20% White/Asian because I barely see any other White/Asians here apart from the Supers. The other White/Asian folks are probably just like me and my girlfriend. We leave at 7am and come back at 10pm (just to sleep). If we're not at work or at school we're in the City or in Brooklyn.
Wikipedia says Bedford Park is 60% latino, 17 % white, 13% black, 8% other (rounding off). Whites are a minority in Bedford Park, but not rare at all. And no we're not all supers. You sound like you need to hang out more here.

A lot of people speak Spanish though and I wonder if it's more latino than 60%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 12:42 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Good mix of ethnicity in what sense? Having a 20% Asian/White population?

Not that I want it or care for it to be any different but the White/Asian population here has virtually no impact apart from living here.

I have a hard time believing it's even 20% White/Asian because I barely see any other White/Asians here apart from the Supers. The other White/Asian folks are probably just like me and my girlfriend. We leave at 7am and come back at 10pm (just to sleep). If we're not at work or at school we're in the City or in Brooklyn.
Yes. 20 percent white and Asian is diverse. Whites and Asians are not the same so not sure why you lumped them together. As for Latinos and Blacks, certain Latin American nations like Mexico have few Blacks. so Mexicans in the same neighborhood as Africans is diverse.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
Exactly this.

@NyWriterDude - no one is claiming there are neighborhoods consisting of entirely one race, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
The neighborhood isn't segregated if it isn't 100 percent one race.

Most NYC neighborhoods have multiple ethnic or racial groups of varying percentages.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yeah and I think some people in this thread keep referring to Manhattan (South of 59th st) too much, even most white people probably couldn't afford to live there and the vast majority of NYC residents don't live there
Most white people definitely can't afford to live south of 59 th street,

Old 10-01-2015, 05:34 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes. 20 percent white and Asian is diverse. Whites and Asians are not the same so not sure why you lumped them together. As for Latinos and Blacks, certain Latin American nations like Mexico have few Blacks. so Mexicans in the same neighborhood as Africans is diverse.
Exactly

Old 10-06-2015, 01:50 PM

396 posts, read 1,008,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
It seems to be a somewhat common opinion on here that NYC is segregated but I don't see how anyone can think that

Outside of Staten Island, most neighborhoods have sizeable populations of at least two (but usually more) racial/ethnic groups

And many neighborhoods are incredibly diverse
Walk from 96 Street in East Harlem across the bridge to the Bronx and up Grand Concourse. Count how many White people (those not coming/going to a Yankee game or in a suit coming/going to the courthouses.) The area from 96 St. north to through Inwood and the South/Central/West Bronx is one of the largest contiguously segregated areas in the country.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
Walk from 96 Street in East Harlem across the bridge to the Bronx and up Grand Concourse. Count how many White people (those not coming/going to a Yankee game or in a suit coming/going to the courthouses.) The area from 96 St. north to through Inwood and the South/Central/West Bronx is one of the largest contiguously segregated areas in the country.
lack of white people≠segregated

And there are plenty of white people in Washington Heights, Inwood, parts of Harlem, and many parts of the Bronx

Old 10-06-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I also try to see both parts of an argument but there's also statistically significant and statistically insignificant.

I'm White and live in the Bronx. According to the census my census tract is about 13% white and 8% Asian with 61% Hispanic and 15% Black. Is my census tract neighborhood diverse? No. It's a Hispanic/Afro- Hispanic dominated neighborhood. The White/Asian residents sprinkled about don't have any significant impact on the neighborhood.

If it wasn't for me trying to save a few hundred bucks on rent because my Fiancee is currently going to school and not working I wouldn't be here.
I'm not sure about the second part. Race somehow dictates where you want to live?

Old 10-06-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
The common knowledge is NYC schools are segregated, not the general population.
No, the general population definitely is too.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
No, the general population definitely is too.
So you're going to ignore the fact that dozens neighborhoods are racially diverse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City