Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2015, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,783 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the insight guys..I talked to my good friend who is a supervisor and he said that it'll probably take four years but hes sure I would get called and I hope hes right. Does anyone know the average amount people between each class that usually get dq'ed from failed backgrounds or just not wanting the job for whatever reason? Any info would help. Thanks.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:05 AM

779 posts, read 1,004,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyy23 View Post
Thanks for the insight guys..I talked to my good friend who is a supervisor and he said that it'll probably take four years but hes sure I would get called and I hope hes right. Does anyone know the average amount people between each class that usually get dq'ed from failed backgrounds or just not wanting the job for whatever reason? Any info would help. Thanks.
Nobody can give you a real answer, we just make assumptions based on past years lists. Keep in mind every several years a new list is made, the whole job market changes. At this day and age everybody knows the benefits and salary that comes with a city position, which is why you see more people than ever before taking the exam, and following through the hiring process. However, nobody can control the DQ process, we just won't know how many people will fail it until the time comes.

Keep your head up and fingers crossed, don't sit and wait for the list # to get called, always look for something better.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:25 AM

353 posts, read 471,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyy23 View Post
Does anyone know the average amount people between each class that usually get dq'ed from failed backgrounds or just not wanting the job for whatever reason? Any info would help. Thanks.
As what was already said above, unfortunately no one can give you a 100% answer on this as it would entail correctly predicting the future.

All we can do is look at past years numbers as sort of an insight as to what "might" happen, but there is no way of knowing for sure.

All you can do is sit back for a few years, move forward with your life and other jobs and hopefully get called when they reach your list number because all we can tell you for sure with a list number of about 5800 is that you will not hear anything at all for a few years at least. If they don't call you, then take the test again in 2019 and try again.

good luck

Old 11-18-2015, 12:26 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,394,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
Nobody can give you a real answer, we just make assumptions based on past years lists. Keep in mind every several years a new list is made, the whole job market changes. At this day and age everybody knows the benefits and salary that comes with a city position, which is why you see more people than ever before taking the exam, and following through the hiring process. However, nobody can control the DQ process, we just won't know how many people will fail it until the time comes.

Keep your head up and fingers crossed, don't sit and wait for the list # to get called, always look for something better.

Yeah this is a fairly accurate answer. We can look at the first two classes last list and say almost no one turned it down or got DQed. Then after 5 classes of about 625 hired they were in the suddenly at like 1549. But more people probably passed it up in the better economy. This time less will pass. But with increased lawsuits and such more MIGHT get DQed. But even then those that get DQed might simply win appeals and fill the later classes. There's also no guarantee they keep 4 classes a year or that those classes stay around 125 each. Everything is an educated guess. For those waiting...Don't be waiting. Do stuff, get a job, get your cdl and use that to get a job. Don't sit around with your eggs in one basket.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmandan View Post
So with 20 something guys the list will probably get to around 420.

Possibly. There are a bunch of early list guys who weren't called cause they didn't have 2 years on yet. They should all be eligible now but who knows.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudini4242 View Post
i think its 23/24 guys they need.....but its a new week...no telling how many guys threw it in fo far this week...lol...i know one guy went down yesterday
I'm at the 11th hour. The very end of probation....if I don't toss it now I'll be stuck forever. Let's flip a coin

Old 11-18-2015, 12:41 PM

80 posts, read 103,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL AGAIN View Post
I'm at the 11th hour. The very end of probation....if I don't toss it now I'll be stuck forever. Let's flip a coin
Stop you know you're not throwing it in. Did you hear they might push the next class off till the 30th?

Old 11-18-2015, 12:48 PM
dun

193 posts, read 226,359 times
Quote:
...or youll become super, chief, commish, mayor, congressman, gov, senator, president in that order. skys the limit...dont give up now. "you miss 100% of the shots you dont take" said jordan....or gretsky (i forget)

Old 11-18-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dun View Post
...or youll become super, chief, commish, mayor, congressman, gov, senator, president in that order. skys the limit...dont give up now. "you miss 100% of the shots you dont take" said jordan....or gretsky (i forget)
Um.....no

Old 11-18-2015, 01:33 PM

512 posts, read 765,647 times
Quote:
just curious....is it best out of three....best out of five...best out of seven...or does one flip of the coin do it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City