Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 07:02 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
HOW??

If they can cheat and get away with it, what stop others from doing the same?
Well the last class I took I did not have the advantage of whispering in a foreign language, writing cryptic crib notes, having a phone back then that had texting, having free wi-fi to communicate back and forth or paying folks to take SAT for me. I also did not have teams of classmates in on it to do projects in groups and also if I did know answers I shared. I did not keep them to my clique to worry about blowing curve. It almost was like watching and episode of Survivor.

I took an elective once and we had a wolf-pack of Asians cheating. All A averages, they did not participate in class, ask questions, look interested. One actually said the professor should make it part of GPA if they want them to ask questions.

So midway through after professor catches them cheating via texting but cant read any of it. Announces next day that that whole group all got a 100 on test all same score and if he curves in a bell everyone else would get a C through and F. Whole class moans. Then he adds, so I decided, everyone who shows up to every class rest of year on time, does the homework, asks some questions during class and contributes to class discussion automatically will get an A.

So the asian kid raises hand and goes that is unfair. He goes what. He goes My A is not as important if everyone gets As. He actually looked at the hot Italian girl in the short dress and fat black kid as he said it. Professor goes do you want to go to Dean and complain he goes yes, Professor said please do and when I lodge my cheating complaint if I win all of you get Fs, if you win I am tenured nothing happens.

I would love to go to a class where everyone got an A. But I guess that is not their approach. The tiger Moms would kill them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 07:14 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
HOW??

If they can cheat and get away with it, what stop others from doing the same?

Don't get me wrong Everyone cheats. It's just I've noticed black white and Hispanic students tend be more individualistic when it comes to this then Asians.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:32 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post

Also Asians are way over-represented at schools like Harvard compared to the percentage of population. If anything they discriminate in favor of Asians.
Harvard has actually been accused of discriminating against Asians:

Harvard Asian-American Bias Complaint Dismissed - WSJ

As for their disproportionately large presence compared to other minority groups on so many uni campuses, that can be attributed to the fact that many well off Asian parents send their kids to the US and many US unis are operated as for profit businesses only too happy to charge an arm and a leg for anyone desperate enough to get a foothold in this country. I've seen the same situation at play among many Indians as well. Many private schools are making huge amounts of money off their international students.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:37 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
Quote:
Well the last class I took I did not have the advantage of whispering in a foreign language, writing cryptic crib notes, having a phone back then that had texting, having free wi-fi to communicate back and forth or paying folks to take SAT for me. I also did not have teams of classmates in on it to do projects in groups and also if I did know answers I shared. I did not keep them to my clique to worry about blowing curve. It almost was like watching and episode of Survivor.

I took an elective once and we had a wolf-pack of Asians cheating. All A averages, they did not participate in class, ask questions, look interested. One actually said the professor should make it part of GPA if they want them to ask questions.

So midway through after professor catches them cheating via texting but cant read any of it. Announces next day that that whole group all got a 100 on test all same score and if he curves in a bell everyone else would get a C through and F. Whole class moans. Then he adds, so I decided, everyone who shows up to every class rest of year on time, does the homework, asks some questions during class and contributes to class discussion automatically will get an A.

So the asian kid raises hand and goes that is unfair. He goes what. He goes My A is not as important if everyone gets As. He actually looked at the hot Italian girl in the short dress and fat black kid as he said it. Professor goes do you want to go to Dean and complain he goes yes, Professor said please do and when I lodge my cheating complaint if I win all of you get Fs, if you win I am tenured nothing happens.

I would love to go to a class where everyone got an A. But I guess that is not their approach. The tiger Moms would kill them.

SandyJet is that you? The wealthy LI raised white supremacist with 10 thousand Asian stories is back. Good to know that theres only a few racists with different handles hanging around the LI and NYC forums.

Why are you pretending to even know NYC when you know zip. Visiting NYC was like going to the zoo for you back then. You grew up in Great Neck and have been priced out by Asians and Jews to the south shore lol...another bitter white grandpa. You're a multi-millionaire working in a big four accounding firm as a consultant and live around working class Oceanside now no? Hope it doesnt turn into Queens like Great Neck did. Now i understand how you got your money you lived in a million dollar so called small home in Great Neck that your pareents sold to rich Asians. Pretty pathetic that you pretend to have grown up in a modest life style while someone like me never stepped foot in a single family house till my 20s. But you do have excellent knowledge on homes and mortgages I'd have to admit.

And go get a life, does the Lexus and Mercedes in my garage really bother you that much? If it does too bad, I'll continue to spend an average of 20k a year on luxury cars so people like you can eat your heart out. And please don't mistaken my nanny for a maid, I'm not some spoiled brat that grew up in Great Neck like you. No wonder you were proud to have worked in low class jobs while I was ashamed. Just wait in 30 years when I buy that water front mansion in Florida after I sell my house for millions to other self made rich Asians. But I've only just hit mid 30s so you might be gone by the time i get there. Lucky you...

And this my friends is how you deal with white supremacist by beating them at everything they thought they were good at.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 01-06-2016 at 08:41 AM..

Old 01-06-2016, 08:38 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I didn't have to work in high school. At the university for spending money I did work in the dining halls and in the libraries. After graduation when I went out for REAL job interviews and they say food service and library service on my resume I was told by several recruiters it was better to have NOTHING on my resume than to have LOW CLASS jobs on my resume. They basically told me to say I was traveling during gaps of employment on my resume (especially since I do like language learning). Needless to say after then I rejected any and all ****ty jobs.

I also coming from Jackson Heights knew people who worked in the restaurant business or other low end jobs for years. As they grew older they wanted to do earn more money. But to be 45 years old and you spent the last 30 years working in food service? Even if you do go back to "school" and get a degree, NO ONE is going to HIRE you. Sadly many of the minorities I knew from Jackson Heights back in the days when it wasn't so great are in that category.

Lastly many of the types I knew from Jackson Heights back in the day were forced to drop out of either high school or college because they worked long hours at difficult, low paying jobs. I'm happy I had the financial support not to have to be put in that position, and after knowing people from all sorts of different backgrounds students will do much better at their academic studies if they can devote themselves to their studies full time. There are some people who can work full time and graduate (either graduate or undergraduate) but they tend to be a MINORITY of people.
I agree 100%. Don't need some rich frat boy using different handles who grew up in Great Neck lecturing me otherwise.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:29 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Go to the best university in China and see how many white Americans are allowed to attend. Good luck trying they won't even let you into country let alone take a spot from a Chinese Kid.

Also Asians are way over-represented at schools like Harvard compared to the percentage of population. If anything they discriminate in favor of Asians.

Mark Zuckenberg went to Harvard and is a huge success, his wife is rich and famous for being married to him.
I've known Americans who got student and work visas for China. Americans of any race can go if they want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City