Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 08:34 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,783 times

Advertisements

From NYC to Harvard: the war on Asian success | New York Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 08:58 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,944,606 times
This is nothing new...most people know this for some time now. Sad they had to increase standards for them since so many Asians were qualified for admittance into schools like NYU otherwise. Reverse affirmative action.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:06 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,230,944 times
Gotta love liberal USA. Hate the successful and reward the failures. And then one day, people will wonder why the US will go down the drain.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:13 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Is it just me or is that really poor journalism?

Anyway, I don't see how this is a war on Asian success.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:02 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,634,126 times
The Times had a more balanced article on the issue:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/26...?referer=&_r=0

I think that the school district's concerns are legitimate.

"In the previous school year, 120 middle and high school students were recommended for mental health assessments; 40 were hospitalized. And on a survey administered by the district, students wrote things like, “I hate going to school,” and “Coming out of 12 years in this district, I have learned one thing: that a grade, a percentage or even a point is to be valued over anything else.”

Old 01-02-2016, 06:17 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
The Times had a more balanced article on the issue:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/26...?referer=&_r=0

I think that the school district's concerns are legitimate.

"In the previous school year, 120 middle and high school students were recommended for mental health assessments; 40 were hospitalized. And on a survey administered by the district, students wrote things like, “I hate going to school,†and “Coming out of 12 years in this district, I have learned one thing: that a grade, a percentage or even a point is to be valued over anything else.â€
Yeah I agree, being a successful student does not require such a level of rigor.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:00 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,869,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yeah I agree, being a successful student does not require such a level of rigor.
Then the families who do not want such a level of rigor are more than welcome to move somewhere else where the standards are easier. There are plenty to choose from. Why move to a district that is almost three quarters east Asian and complain about academics being the singular priority?

Old 01-02-2016, 08:22 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Then the families who do not want such a level of rigor are more than welcome to move somewhere else where the standards are easier. There are plenty to choose from. Why move to a district that is almost three quarters east Asian and complain about academics being the singular priority?
Or any excellent school district in the suburbs for that matter. From speaking to coworkers that live in various places in NJ with excellent school district, performance apparently doesn't come by default for everyone. Some have it and those that don't fork out big money for private personal tutors or have a college educated stay at home mom who cares. That was surprising for me cause growing up in NYC I don't think I knew anyone who had private personal tutoring for normal school work.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:36 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,998,053 times
Isn't it interesting how Asians manage to outperform most other groups in public education without the benefit of being taught by Asian teachers?

Is there a secret-to-our-success formula here that the perennially underperforming black and hispanic students can learn from? Or is playing racial politics still their number one preference over receiving a good education from the best teachers, no matter their race?

Old 01-02-2016, 08:52 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Isn't it interesting how Asians manage to outperform most other groups in public education without the benefit of being taught by Asian teachers?

Is there a secret-to-our-success formula here that the perennially underperforming black and hispanic students can learn from? Or is playing racial politics still their number one preference over receiving a good education from the best teachers, no matter their race?
During my time in the 80s/90s all the ESL teachers teaching the Asians were mostly White/Jewish using textbooks with 100% english. I'm sure anyone can make up another ten thousand excuses of how it's impossible to teach someone English without being able to translate a singe word.

Not sure if there's any formula for success here, but up until the last 90s early 2000s the majority of Asians in NYC were poor and didn't speak English. From personal knowledge I think all those parents just told their kids to do well and many did. And that was way before any of those low quality Asian test prep centers, which people use as another excuse for their success, started to spring up all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City