Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 04:58 PM

481 posts, read 427,575 times

Advertisements

With the first-time NYPD release of incident-level crime data last week, (data that reports where and when a crime occurred, instead of a total number by precinct), someone decided to re-sort the data by neighborhood in order to produce these maps and graphs.

I Quant NY - Your Neighborhood’s*Crime Rank - Insights from the NYPD’s Most Detailed Data Release Ever

The graph includes 6 felony crimes, excluding rape.

I don't have a head for stat calculations so I can't approve or critique, but have at it folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 05:07 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Everyone should keep in mind - crimes are defined by police, who do so in an "interested" way. The interests include pending real estate investment, my own paycheck (my favorite), my nephew is a broker and needs to do some renting ....

The stats are basically useless for understanding crime related to that forum favorite, "danger (for white transplants)."

They are definitely interesting in what they say about how different areas are characterized. The press takes these already-interpreted "facts" and creates all sorts of baloney headlines to sell papers.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:42 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Look at burglary - all gentrifying neighborhoods except for Hunts Point. What are they stealing up there??

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-05-2016, 05:44 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Everyone should keep in mind - crimes are defined by police, who do so in an "interested" way. The interests include pending real estate investment, my own paycheck (my favorite), my nephew is a broker and needs to do some renting ....

The stats are basically useless for understanding crime related to that forum favorite, "danger (for white transplants)."

They are definitely interesting in what they say about how different areas are characterized. The press takes these already-interpreted "facts" and creates all sorts of baloney headlines to sell papers.
Personally one thing I find interesting is that crime rates have actually decreased in many urban areas but you'd never actually know from media outlets...well certain ones to be PARTICULAR.

NYC goes 12 days without a homicide -- a modern record - CNN.com

No Shootings or Killings for 363 Days, but the Fight Is Far From Over - NYTimes.com

East NY and the Myth That Nobody is Addressing Black on Black Homicide

Old 01-05-2016, 05:51 PM

236 posts, read 271,754 times
So Union Square is quite more dangerous than I realized. Worked in that area over the summer and never had issues; wonder if the issue is in the night time or if there's just a notable amount of crime in the area. Just goes to show that any area can be vulnerable, no one is immune.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:03 PM

481 posts, read 427,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveneye217 View Post
So Union Square is quite more dangerous than I realized. Worked in that area over the summer and never had issues; wonder if the issue is in the night time or if there's just a notable amount of crime in the area. Just goes to show that any area can be vulnerable, no one is immune.
If I understand his write-up correctly, this perception of the stats has to do with the fact that he incorporated number of residents into his calculation of crime ranking. So an area with a population of 10 and with 5 robberies per quarter would rank higher in crime than an area with same number of robberies but more residents - OR an area with more robberies and more residents making the crime more dispersed.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:14 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Look at burglary - all gentrifying neighborhoods except for Hunts Point. What are they stealing up there??
Bushwick robberies on the rise due to residents not locking doors, windows
http://pix11.com/2015/12/23/bushwick...doors-windows/

Gentrifiers Drive Up Bushwick Burglary Rate by Leaving Doors Unlocked: NYPD
https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...-unlocked-nypd

Old 01-05-2016, 07:21 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Springfield Gardens?

Old 01-05-2016, 09:13 PM

4,774 posts, read 6,571,114 times
It seems that Stuy Town is a very safe place to live! But I bet that the population density, which is high, helped "dilute" the crime numbers.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:13 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Bushwick robberies on the rise due to residents not locking doors, windows
Bushwick robberies on the rise due to residents not locking doors, windows | New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV

Gentrifiers Drive Up Bushwick Burglary Rate by Leaving Doors Unlocked: NYPD
https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...-unlocked-nypd
So they don't even lock the front doors any more over there? Haven't been back in a good 17 years and thought that things were looking up and up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City