Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 02:23 PM

520 posts, read 844,298 times

Advertisements

So my husband and I are debating what would be the right decision to make. And I thought it would be interesting to get some outside perspectives just to bring a touch of objectivity into our deliberation. Please, only serious replies and from parents with children.

We currently live in a 480 sq ft $2100/month apartment in Astoria with a 4 month old. I have resigned from my job and currently taking care of our son, taking another job is not an option. My husband makes $120k and we have $20K credit card debt. No snappy and judgmental comments please.

The apartment is very small for us, a kitchenette, a bedroom which has very little space to walk around our and baby's furniture, and the livingroom has baby gear as well. So I feel like the walls are closing in and once he gets bigger this will be an obstacle course for our little one to crawl around or even attempt to walk.

We know we have to get rid of our debt, but we also have to move, because soon he'll need a crib and a high chair and we don't have anymore closet space. We are considering Forest Hills, Kew Gardens or Rego Park in that order. Astoria is out of our reach for a 2br, and apartments here are small and most are walk-ups. We have son's grandparents visit us, as well as friends, and we have no room for them obviously. We can't buy anything because we don't have those kind of savings. So rentals is the way to go. Our budget is $2500 max.

Here are some question. What would you do in this situation? Would you stay put for a year and pay the max on the debt while struggling with space? Or would you move into a place you love (Forest Hills), pay around $2500 and slowly chip away at your debt while staying put for about 5-7 years, and put away money for a place at the same time? Or, would you move into Kew Gardens and pay around $2300 when you really want to be in Forest Hills? My husband's commute is long and annoying thus he doesn't want to live too far from the subway, hence high rent figures. And anyway, rents are so high in general, it's insane!

Once again, only serious replies from parents. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 02:40 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
None of the above! I'd move to the Bronx and pay approx. $1,500 for a two bedroom. I'm serious, you should check out your options in other areas. Good luck.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
None of the above! I'd move to the Bronx and pay approx. $1,500 for a two bedroom. I'm serious, you should check out your options in other areas. Good luck.
I am totally unfamiliar with the Bronx, I'm such a Queens person. I know a little bit of Brooklyn, but Bronx and Staten Island are pretty much a mystery to me, minus the gardens, the stadium and the zoo of course. I can't imagine anything decent for $1500, and a 2 bedroom at that.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:56 PM

4,774 posts, read 6,571,114 times
If you're willing to go outside your comfort zone, you can probably find something suitable in Riverdale.

I'm a native Bronxite but I'm from the opposite side of the borough. For that reason, I can't offer specific advice, but I'm sure others can, plus you can search this site. You probably can get a decent two-bedroom for $2,000 or so. The grammar school is highly rated; you'll need to research exactly where the zone begins and ends.

If your husband can make the commute from there work, Riverdale may be an alternative.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:00 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
We live in Bedford Park and rent out a very large (and quite nice imho) 2 bedroom for less than $1,500 around here. I'd check out Bedford Park/Mosholu Parkway, Pelham Parkway, Van Cortlandt Village, maybe Woodlawn (there is a metro north but no subway). We also live here and have 2 kids (adolescents now) who have lived here since they were little. They grew up being able to walk to the NYBG and the zoo.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:24 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Well...a year isn't so very long to wait. I might wait a year - and are you going to be going back to work by then?

Old 01-21-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
If you're willing to go outside your comfort zone, you can probably find something suitable in Riverdale.

I'm a native Bronxite but I'm from the opposite side of the borough. For that reason, I can't offer specific advice, but I'm sure others can, plus you can search this site. You probably can get a decent two-bedroom for $2,000 or so. The grammar school is highly rated; you'll need to research exactly where the zone begins and ends.

If your husband can make the commute from there work, Riverdale may be an alternative.
He works on Madison in the 90s. Riverdale would be a bit of a pain. Riverdale was suggested as a good alternative, but the location makes it less ideal.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:28 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
The Bronx is a major downgrade from queens. It's QOL aint sh**. Don't do it. You absolutely should stay put, knock out that debt, and then move. Set a reasonable time frame to curtail the debt and then watch as your options open.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Well...a year isn't so very long to wait. I might wait a year - and are you going to be going back to work by then?
We're going to try out for another child at the end of the year, so no, I won't be looking for a job.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
The Bronx is a major downgrade from queens. It's QOL aint sh**. Don't do it. You absolutely should stay put, knock out that debt, and then move. Set a reasonable time frame to curtail the debt and then watch as your options open.
Could you do it for a year in a 500 sq ft apt? Also, we are going to start trying for another baby towards the end of the year. My first trimester I was pretty sick, last trimester I was too big, so we have a little window to move and I just wouldn't want to move when I'm pregnant. All these factors make it so frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City