Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 01:21 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Like the people saying it's dangerous for a tourist to visit Sunset Park or Bedstuy.

One really cool thing about NYC is all the ethnic restaurants from all around the world. You could have South Asian, South American, Mexican, or East Asian in Central Queens. You could have Caribbean in places like Crown Heights or Bedstuy. You could have Russian in Brighton Beach. Just going to a white, hipster place like Williamsburg is LAME and BORING. And this is from someone who does like Williamsburg and Whole Foods, etc. That scene is not the be all and end all of NYC and is really only a small portion of it.
I went to Bed Stuy at night (not super late, like 8PM) and didn't even find it to be bad.

And yeah, to get the whole NYC experience, you have to check out some ethnic neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 05:54 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'e been going to Coney Island forever and never found it sketchy, I think it's definitely worth checking out

You should be fine as long as you stay away from the projects (and even then it's very unlikely anything would happen to you)
Most of the housing in Coney Island is projects.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yeah I agree with all of this

Plus, many poor neighborhoods aren't dangerous at all
True.

But Coney Island is a poor neighborhood that IS dangerous.
There are shootings there on a weekly/sometimes daily basis.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:20 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,581,436 times
Avoid brownsville and east ny in brooklyn and south jamaica in queens.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:15 AM

104 posts, read 380,569 times
There are very few "dangerous" places in Queens and BKLYN left (meaning long arrival times for Police, infested drug areas and crimes, etc). NYC is simply becoming too expensive a place to live. The only areas I would say are still on the radar are South Jamaica-Queens, East NY (and thats changing) and Brownsville-Brooklyn.

The main way to get in trouble in NYC is to engage in crimminal activity. If your a crimminal some other crimminal will probably get you sooner or later or the Cops will catch you. If you are the average person, minding your own damn business and not walking around or riding subways at 3am in the morning you should be fine. BTW Coney Island is FINE. Just stay around the Broadwalk, beach and Aquarium areas. Theres nothing to do outside those areas anyway.

Just my opinion as a life-long New Yorker presently living in Brooklyn.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:30 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Brooklyn- hit Williamsburg, Park Slope, Brooklyn Hts
avoid Bed-Stuy, Sunset Park, Brownsville

Queens-hit Flushing, Astoria, Long Island City,
avoid Jamaica, Hollis, Cambria Heights

Let's see how long it takes me to be called racist ( Yawn)

No you are just an idiot.

But besides that, There is minimal danger in bed-stuy unless you are hanging around the projects at, at night police are actually present and if anything that should make people feel safe. Crime stats are actually really low in most places in Brooklyn/Queens except places where there is a huge concentration of poor people like the project buildings. And most crime is theft, just like anywhere else in NYC keep belongings hidden and dont look flashy.

Bedstuy/Bushwick is a huge hub for Airbnb and so far tourist has enjoyed it especially foreigners.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:19 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Most of the housing in Coney Island is projects.
When people go to Coney Island, they go to the Amusement Park, the beach, or the Aquarium.

Not to see the housing projects. If you can't see that, that just shows a lot about YOUR LIFESTYLE.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:24 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGirl45 View Post
There are very few "dangerous" places in Queens and BKLYN left (meaning long arrival times for Police, infested drug areas and crimes, etc). NYC is simply becoming too expensive a place to live. The only areas I would say are still on the radar are South Jamaica-Queens, East NY (and thats changing) and Brownsville-Brooklyn.

The main way to get in trouble in NYC is to engage in crimminal activity. If your a crimminal some other crimminal will probably get you sooner or later or the Cops will catch you. If you are the average person, minding your own damn business and not walking around or riding subways at 3am in the morning you should be fine. BTW Coney Island is FINE. Just stay around the Broadwalk, beach and Aquarium areas. Theres nothing to do outside those areas anyway.

Just my opinion as a life-long New Yorker presently living in Brooklyn.
Exactly. A person minding their own business who goes to Coney Island to the beach, to eat, or to go to the Aquarium is going to be fine and no one will bother them.

Any violence in the projects is between gangsters fighting over drug dealing turf. No sane person is just going to come out and hang out with some dudes who are standing out in front of the projects. If you don't engage in that you are FINE!

I would say that parts of Far Rockaway are still on the radar. Lefrak City in Corona was bad but that is rapidly changing. The police pretty much occupy it and the thugs are being replaced by working and middle class Asians.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:06 PM

566 posts, read 504,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
and finish it off with the perfect lunch at Subways ?
Memo kebab and Edelweis are pretty good. The Sunflower is for hipster young Sephardic Jews.
Across Coney Island ave there are 3 good Russian restaurants and a divey American diner.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
When people go to Coney Island, they go to the Amusement Park, the beach, or the Aquarium.

Not to see the housing projects. If you can't see that, that just shows a lot about YOUR LIFESTYLE.
All I'm saying is that the housing projects are ON THE BEACH.
Seriously, the projects of Coney Island on Surf Avenue have water views!

If you literally step off the boardwalk, you are in the projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City