Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 11:25 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
So far, with all the talk in media about blacks bot being nominated in the Oscars, black lives matter, and anything with black this and black that. People don't understand what caused outrages to take place or where did it come from? It all has to boil down not with racism but with economics. It seems to me that the 2008 economic recession left a huge gaping hole in the nations black community that affects them on all levels of income strata compared to whites who faired better from the recession except for those college grads and their debt. I personally believe if we had a more sound economy in recent years, guaranteed that such incidents as Eric Garners, Michael Brown's and so forth would have never happened if this great recession had not taken place. Whatever was gained for Black Americans economically during the Clinton era and for much of the Bush era has been erased during the beginning of the Obama era. In inner city neighborhoods like Harlem in NYC, and Anacostia in DC face the wrath of gentrification, property values were scooped up coupled with the low interest rates made it easy pickings for investors, buyers and developers alike.

I wonder if the 2008 recession is like a domino affect. I wonder if it would lead to World War 3 with Eurasian alliance of Russia, Iran and China?

China is one of the US's biggest trading partners, so no.

It's just not happening.

Michael Brown and Eric Garner happened in part because of social media. Pre social media and pre digital cameras who would know or care that these incidents happened?

As for things allegedly dropping for Black people under the Obama administration, that's total bull****. The Clinton administration signed on to zero tolerance drug laws which the Bush administration enforced. Those two administrations locked up huge numbers of Blacks. Of course these men now that they have felonies cannot get good jobs or housing.

Disproportionately much of the Black middle class worked in the public sector, and guess what got cut back during the recession. Public sector jobs!

Disproportionately Blacks were renters and didn't have ties to business owners or money.

The Clinton administration signed on to the federal tax credits which encouraged large scale investments in big cities. Clinton started gentrification and the Clinton administration gave money to large cities to hire more police.

Btw, clearly we did not have an economic boom under Obama. But to claim the serious issues with Black communities began under his administration is just completely absurd. Or to claim that they even got worse under his administration is absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 07:24 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
[/b]

China is one of the US's biggest trading partners, so no.

It's just not happening.

Michael Brown and Eric Garner happened in part because of social media. Pre social media and pre digital cameras who would know or care that these incidents happened?

As for things allegedly dropping for Black people under the Obama administration, that's total bull****. The Clinton administration signed on to zero tolerance drug laws which the Bush administration enforced. Those two administrations locked up huge numbers of Blacks. Of course these men now that they have felonies cannot get good jobs or housing.

Disproportionately much of the Black middle class worked in the public sector, and guess what got cut back during the recession. Public sector jobs!

Disproportionately Blacks were renters and didn't have ties to business owners or money.

The Clinton administration signed on to the federal tax credits which encouraged large scale investments in big cities. Clinton started gentrification and the Clinton administration gave money to large cities to hire more police.

Btw, clearly we did not have an economic boom under Obama. But to claim the serious issues with Black communities began under his administration is just completely absurd. Or to claim that they even got worse under his administration is absurd.
A generation ago Rodney King beating caused a lot of media attention. Blacks in NYC yes are renters. Outside of NYC, blacks own homes. Many of these homes were purchased due to predatory low interest loans that resulted with the economic collapse. Blacks in America equity is only in their home compared to an average white person that has, savings, stocks, bonds, 401k, inheritance and the list goes on. Of course Obama did not cause the economic problem, but it began and got worse under his tenure as President. The cracks started to appear in Obama's administration between society at large and black Americans. Also under Obama Presidency, more blacks went to prison than compared to previous Presidents I actually helped an Columbia student with his paper about the correlation between current racism towards blacks and the recession. There is lots of evidence about it this topic I have mentioned. Also the recession sealed the fates of proportionally black cities such as Detroit and St Louis. one of the great thing about the recession was that it cleaned out the offices of employers who got rid or had to let go of folks with an average college background or less. Now a days in big liberal cities, its all about top degree from a top college or Ivy league. Your going to see lots of black American folks lining up for public sector jobs now, or if not already is happening. IF I was African American or Black American, I would think very cautiously about voting for a democrat liberal again, regardless from the federal level to municipal.

Are There Really More Black Men In Prison Than College? : NPR

Race Gap: Blacks Fall Further Behind Under Obama

http://america.aljazeera.com/feature...recession.html

Old 02-11-2016, 07:42 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
Quote:
A generation ago Rodney King beating caused a lot of media attention. Blacks in NYC yes are renters. Outside of NYC, blacks own homes. Many of these homes were purchased due to predatory low interest loans that resulted with the economic collapse. Blacks in America equity is only in their home compared to an average white person that has, savings, stocks, bonds, 401k, inheritance and the list goes on. Of course Obama did not cause the economic problem, but it began and got worse under his tenure as President. The cracks started to appear in Obama's administration between society at large and black Americans. Also under Obama Presidency, more blacks went to prison than compared to previous Presidents I actually helped an Columbia student with his paper about the correlation between current racism towards blacks and the recession. There is lots of evidence about it this topic I have mentioned. Also the recession sealed the fates of proportionally black cities such as Detroit and St Louis. one of the great thing about the recession was that it cleaned out the offices of employers who got rid or had to let go of folks with an average college background or less. Now a days in big liberal cities, its all about top degree from a top college or Ivy league. Your going to see lots of black American folks lining up for public sector jobs now, or if not already is happening. IF I was African American or Black American, I would think very cautiously about voting for a democrat liberal again, regardless from the federal level to municipal.

For black men, a permanent recession | Al Jazeera America
It dosent really matter who gets in to the White House. These whores that are running are all about the money. Although, I want to believe that Trump has enough cash and is in it to be a president for those at the bottom. I can't really tell because he talks but says nothing at all regarding policy.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:

For black men, a permanent recession | Al Jazeera America
So you really wanted to disparage the first Black President, by dumping all of the problems that Blacks face on him?

You have some twisted logic.

And what is a liberal?

Big liberal cities like NYC are ultimately capitalist. I think liberal is a catch all phase you use to describe anything and everything you don't like.

In big cities like NYC obviously they are going to sell real estate or rent out to the highest bidder. You don't have the money to pay, then you are clearly out on your ass.

If a rich Black person wants to move into the West Village and buy a condo, yes they'd sell to him. The discrimination on that front is NOT racial.

Re: Big cities. If anyone of any race wants to live in an expensive city they are going to have to get a good education or else they will not live well. That simply how the economy works and there is no rift between Blacks and anyone else there. Of course to get that kind of education they will have to pay for it.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:41 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
IF I was African American or Black American, I would think very cautiously about voting for a democrat liberal again, regardless from the federal level to municipal.
Careful what you type. I got threatened and attacked by our one-sided mod for writing something very similar. Our city and the NYC forum does not value such opinions, and the fact that alternative options might be available is ignored. Its all about having full contol around here, and if you're not in line behind the mod and his voting history, you have to just move on. Even if they can't move on up after consistently voting in the same manner, election after election.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:46 AM

To tell you the truth I'm not so certain I even believe in the concept of "Black" people. At the end of the day I and I alone am responsible for paying my bills and taking care of my own personal obligations. It's really up to other people to do whatever they have to do to establish the best career they can for themselves.

So it isn't put to President Obama, or President Bush, or President Clinton to do anything for Black people. It is up for individual people of all races to take care of their business themselves.

Re:Bad mortgages, if someone offers someone a bad deal the person accepting the bad deal as some responsibility for signing off on it. They could have said NO.

I agree with Ayn Rand and the conservatives on personal responsibility.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Careful what you type. I got threatened and attacked by our one-sided mod for writing something very similar. Our city and the NYC forum does not value such opinions, and the fact that alternative options might be available is ignored. Its all about having full contol around here, and if you're not in line behind the mod and his voting history, you have to just move on. Even if they can't move on up after consistently voting in the same manner, election after election.
Here's part of the problem.

I don't know what you mean who is they?

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 02-11-2016 at 12:44 PM..

Old 02-11-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Oh no you can have opinions alright. But the problem in your case is you have nothing to back them up with.

The nation's leaders are not elected by the Black vote, nor are NYC leaders. Those who are going to be poor remain poor under both Republican and Democratic administrations.

The moderator said many of the poorest Blacks don't vote at all. I think he's right about that.

Bronxguyanese can come around with advice when he himself can get a good education or a good job (he's struggling to get a civil service job, and these jobs were the lifeline of poor Blacks). To tell you the truth a less government, less taxes regime might get rid of the civil service job that Bronx is trying to get.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 02-11-2016 at 12:45 PM..

Old 02-11-2016, 12:54 PM

Now here is a well written peace backed up by historical references on the damage of Democratic public policies to Black communities.

Why Hillary Clinton Doesn

" Bill Clinton championed discriminatory laws against formerly incarcerated people that have kept millions of Americans locked in a cycle of poverty and desperation. The Clinton administration eliminated Pell grants for prisoners seeking higher education to prepare for their release, supported laws denying federal financial aid to students with drug convictions, and signed legislation imposing a lifetime ban on welfare and food stamps for anyone convicted of a felony drug offense—an exceptionally harsh provision given the racially biased drug war that was raging in inner cities."

" Perhaps most alarming, Clinton also made it easier for public-housing agencies to deny shelter to anyone with any sort of criminal history (even an arrest without conviction) and championed the “one strike and you’re out” initiative, which meant that families could be evicted from public housing because one member (or a guest) had committed even a minor offense. People released from prison with no money, no job, and nowhere to go could no longer return home to their loved ones living in federally assisted housing without placing the entire family at risk of eviction. Purging “the criminal element” from public housing played well on the evening news, but no provisions were made for people and families as they were forced out on the street. By the end of Clinton’s presidency, more than half of working-age African-American men in many large urban areas were saddled with criminal records and subject to legalized discrimination in employment, housing, access to education, and basic public benefits—relegated to a permanent second-class status eerily reminiscent of Jim Crow."

So you're quite correct that these policies were certainly signed on by a Democratic President (after being signed into law by a Republican Congress). But given your attitude on ghetto people I am sure you'd support all that Clinton did.

Mind you the situation grew intolerably bad in major urban areas, and agree the federal government had to step in with increased policing. Years of not working, undereducation, welfare passed by the Johnson administration to stop civil rights protests, lack of urban investment meant that poor Black neighborhoods were full of crappy people and by then it was a disaster.

" The biggest problem with Bernie, in the end, is that he’s running as a Democrat—as a member of a political party that not only capitulated to right-wing demagoguery but is now owned and controlled by a relatively small number of millionaires and billionaires. Yes, Sanders has raised millions from small donors, but should he become president, he would also become part of what he has otherwise derided as “the establishment.” Even if Bernie’s racial-justice views evolve, I hold little hope that a political revolution will occur within the Democratic Party without a sustained outside movement forcing truly transformational change. I am inclined to believe that it would be easier to build a new party than to save the Democratic Party from itself."

Old 02-11-2016, 02:39 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
To tell you the truth I'm not so certain I even believe in the concept of "Black" people. At the end of the day I and I alone am responsible for paying my bills and taking care of my own personal obligations. It's really up to other people to do whatever they have to do to establish the best career they can for themselves.

So it isn't put to President Obama, or President Bush, or President Clinton to do anything for Black people. It is up for individual people of all races to take care of their business themselves.

Re:Bad mortgages, if someone offers someone a bad deal the person accepting the bad deal as some responsibility for signing off on it. They could have said NO.

I agree with Ayn Rand and the conservatives on personal responsibility.
This I can agree with as well. Everyone should be responsible for his or her fate no matter how hard or easy life is. I actually like the German system where during education they see where youths should go to in the work force by certain level of performance. I also agree with two author famous authors, but I don't want to say it because I can get banned for saying so. For a second I thought you agree more with Emma Goldman?

Quote:
I agree. Onetime I Said something that was either anti semitic or anti Zionist. I'm not sure, but me personally I don't think it was designed for flame purposes. However a poster seeked a moderator on me. I nearly got banned, however it was the truth.

Quote:
Oh no you can have opinions alright. But the problem in your case is you have nothing to back them up with.

The nation's leaders are not elected by the Black vote, nor are NYC leaders. Those who are going to be poor remain poor under both Republican and Democratic administrations.

The moderator said many of the poorest Blacks don't vote at all. I think he's right about that.

Bronxguyanese can come around with advice when he himself can get a good education or a good job (he's struggling to get a civil service job, and these jobs were the lifeline of poor Blacks). To tell you the truth a less government, less taxes regime might get rid of the civil service job that Bronx is trying to get.

I'm pretty realistic. I'm actually taking a practice GRE to see where I stand for continuing education for a masters degree. Its kind of like a feasibility. Two I'm not struggling to obtain a civil service job. Civil service jobs are highly competitive and sought after for. I was lucky enough to get picked through the lottery out of 16,000 applicants. Again there is no guarantee. Also this civil service job is a state job between the state of NY and NJ, a compact between the two states. As for less taxes? I want less taxes for the working man, and more taxes on those who make more than 250,000 dollars a year or more. Not on a federal level, but on a local level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City