Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2016, 02:22 PM
jyx

65 posts, read 65,313 times

Advertisements

"Encounterment"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 02:29 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
oh I god, I cringe seeing these conservative middle aged white people trying to make fun of black slang
I'm White and I will readily admit that by far the worst, most annoying, borderline retarded, and disgusting people in our society have become middle-aged conservative White dudes. It's like they see the country changing and their demographic is losing power (or really has been for a few decades now) and instead of strategizing how to best survive in the new society they just start hating on everything and getting angry.

Trump supporters are a perfect example. Straight white trash.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:40 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,934,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I'm White and I will readily admit that by far the worst, most annoying, borderline retarded, and disgusting people in our society have become middle-aged conservative White dudes. It's like they see the country changing and their demographic is losing power (or really has been for a few decades now) and instead of strategizing how to best survive in the new society they just start hating on everything and getting angry.

Trump supporters are a perfect example. Straight white trash.

Can you explain why people insist on capitalizing white and black ?
I don't get that but it seems significant somehow.

That aside, Trump supporters do certainly represent a certain demographic. However, it is not my sense that all are white trash. I think they are certainly nostalgists who are not dealing well with disappointment.

Granted, there are few things not disappointing in our current world. There could be smarter ways to deal with this however than becoming a wagoneer for Trump.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:49 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post

That aside, Trump supporters do certainly represent a certain demographic. However, it is not my sense that all are white trash. I think they are certainly nostalgists who are not dealing well with disappointment.

Granted, there are few things not disappointing in our current world. There could be smarter ways to deal with this however than becoming a wagoneer for Trump.
I can't explain why some capitalize White and Black. I'm no English major, is it grammatically wrong per se?

White Trump supporters are white trash for the most part. Is it any surprise? He straight up tells them fairy tales and they eat it up like a bunch of morons.

Donald Trump Supporters Mostly Uneducated, New Poll Finds

The Key To The GOP Race: The Diploma Divide | FiveThirtyEight

Who are Donald Trump's loyal supporters? - BBC News

Old 02-07-2016, 03:04 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,219,078 times
Quote:
haha dude. You're a real prick. You must hate your life. People with your outlook tend to have some built-up hate and it's mostly of oneself.
Not surprised you got divorced. Your wife probably realized she was married to a ****ty individual.

Is giving out sex advice on City-Data one of your hobbies? You should be out chasing tail and not posting on C-D.
We all know who internet warriors are in real life.

I love my life, man. I generally only have to work 2-3 days a week at this point. You can't beat that.

My outlook? In terms of not having to be with the same woman for the rest of my life starting now? Sure, call that "hating myself" if you'd like. I call it embracing primal instincts. And my lady and I split pretty amicably. As I stated, we're still friends. Spoke to her on the phone for an hour just last night. Sometimes adults can have these kinds of relationships. You may learn this one day in one way or another.

Like I said, my initial comment to you was done in jest. You and your "serious business" self got your f'n panties all in a ruffle. Go get laid, dude...

Old 02-08-2016, 07:36 AM

119 posts, read 110,960 times
Again and again and yet again posters make sweeping (and largely negative) generalities about transplants to our city. Any poster who made similarly negative stereotypes about a group of people based on their race, religious, sexuality, et cetera, would be vilified.

Enough already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious WannaBe Drone View Post
I don't find them interesting either. I have my own set of friends with whom I'm comfortable. I decided to expand out at some point, and found myself a couple of times socializing with people to whom I found very hard to relate because many people define themselves based on their jobs. I am just curious: What do these people talk about other than their jobs?

Old 02-08-2016, 07:57 AM

931 posts, read 802,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingsR'Us View Post
I just thought it was worthy to see this kind of encounterment. (I didn't film the video but seeing one's fustration towards Gentrification is interesting). The uneducated are being priced out of urban cities across the United States and there's nothing they can do about it.

http://youtu.be/uOOkrtpeMkc
Ghetto trash is what he is. "My nigggah this, my nigggah that". Seriously? Dude has absolutely no value to our society. The very same kind of people gentrification will hopefully remove from NYC. I support gentrification 100% for the simple fact it will cleanse NYC of trash like this.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:33 PM

119 posts, read 110,960 times
Black and white are not proper nouns and therefore shouldn't be capitalized unless they are the first words in a sentence. African American and Caucasian are proper nouns and should always be capitalized.

[quote=wawaweewa;42924807]I can't explain why some capitalize White and Black. I'm no English major, is it grammatically wrong per se?

Old 02-08-2016, 06:22 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner10 View Post
Black and white are not proper nouns and therefore shouldn't be capitalized unless they are the first words in a sentence. African American and Caucasian are proper nouns and should always be capitalized.

Quote:
I can't explain why some capitalize White and Black. I'm no English major, is it grammatically wrong per se?
There is no unified consensus on the capitalization of Black and White. I believe Chicago Manual of style prefers lowercase, but many publications capitalize one or both.

While they are not true proper nouns, they do stand in for describing people so I find it appropriate to capitalize them to distinguish a description of groups of people from shades of light.

To put it another way, black is what the eye perceives when an object absorbs all light, and white is what the eye perceives when all light reflects off of it. No human being is actually black or white.

On the other hand, Black and White are adjectives that refer to groups of human beings who come in many shades.

That is my reasoning, anyway.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:44 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
New York City African Americans in some areas are getting worried IMHO. If it isn't Latino/Hispanics it is transplants/gentrification but either way areas formerly known as majority AA are facing shifting demographics. That Charles Rangel managed to hold onto his seat in the last election is a miracle. But the handwriting is on the wall, only reason why he wasn't booted out sooner is that many of the Latinos/Hispanics in that district aren't able to vote. That is changing...

What bothers NYC blacks is that these districts/areas were carved out for *them* to get political power, once they flip that will be that. The "Park Slope" mentality is already spreading out north, south, and west of that area in Brooklyn.

Transplants or whatever tend to be better educated, politically and technically savvy individuals. What is more their priorities probably aren't the same as many long term residents.

Thanks to term limits every four or eight years someone new must run for City Council seats. In the coming decades it is going to be interesting to see how that all plays out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City