Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2016, 09:13 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
Ivy League degrees don't do anything if you don't know the right people. Ever tried getting a job after graduating from one? It's nearly impossible. Almost all students from those schools get jobs through internships during their student years or campus recruiters. Companies don't want to hire fresh from a pool of recent graduates. That's a major cause of the underemployment problems in this country right now. Call it the corporate-industrial complex.

You meet people in the venues unless you are a complete non-fit.
Mistakes are made by admissions committees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Jersey City is not a suburb. Nor is it an "urbanized suburb." I don't think you know what you're talking about.
What a ridiculous terminology, and agree - not at all correct.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:26 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
This is not true at all.
A great job is not a pre-requisite to living in NYC.

I work with plenty of transplants who make in the 40's-60K's and live just fine. They're childless and have roommates or live with their significant other whom also has a job.

I think you have a very skewed view of the NYC job market. There are plenty of people with good-great jobs who did not graduate from top schools or have a grad degree.
Everyone will have a very skewed view of NYC given it's cost of living. One of a few places were it is acceptable for grown adults in their 30+ to sacrifice personal space and privacy in order to shack up with roommates while raving about how great NYC is.

Even the current mayor is concern with the lack of retirement plan for people making 40's-60K's and living in the moment.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:11 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,752,106 times
You guys do know that the "Ivy League" is just a football league, right? I'll take Stanford or MIT over an "Ivy" outside of (HYP) any day. Some schools in the league are not even that great. I'd rather go to UVA.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:20 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious WannaBe Drone View Post
From what I heard, they make applicants go through certain assessments that determine whether they would be a good fit culturally, someone here correct me if I'm wrong.
Oh come on. Surely you know there are plenty of ivy leaguers in prison for various crimes, including murder. I can think of two fairly recent murder cases I know of just off the top of my head without having to Google.

It's funny to me how people like you have this one stereotype in their head of what they think an "Ivy Leaguer" should look like and act like, and think like, and that there can be no variation from the stereotype in your head.

Murders Of The Ivy League (PHOTOS)

Old 02-06-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Oh come on. Surely you know there are plenty of ivy leaguers in prison for various crimes, including murder. I can think of two fairly recent murder cases I know of just off the top of my head without having to Google.

It's funny to me how people like you have this one stereotype in their head of what they think an "Ivy Leaguer" should look like and act like, and think like, and that there can be no variation from the stereotype in your head.

Murders Of The Ivy League (PHOTOS)

See my comment above regarding mistakes ...

Moreover, one might argue that they learn the rules to better game the system. Assuming that the truly destructive anti-socials are not the crazy murderer types but so-called "white collar" types.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:11 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Jersey City is not a suburb. Nor is it an "urbanized suburb." I don't think you know what you're talking about.
a : an outlying part of a city or town
b : a smaller community adjacent to or within commuting distance of a city
c plural : the residential area on the outskirts of a city or large town
Suburb | Definition of Suburb by Merriam-Webster
Jersey City fits definition B, being that many people from Jersey City commute to NYC. Jersey City is definitely a part of the tri-state area/metropolitan New York City.

The census bureau itself defines much of NJ including Jersey City as a part of NY's metropolitan area.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yo...ropolitan_area

So you were saying?

Old 02-06-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
This is not true at all.
A great job is not a pre-requisite to living in NYC.

I work with plenty of transplants who make in the 40's-60K's and live just fine. They're childless and have roommates or live with their significant other whom also has a job.

I think you have a very skewed view of the NYC job market. There are plenty of people with good-great jobs who did not graduate from top schools or have a grad degree.
A great job is a pre-requiste to living in NYC long term UNLESS you are going to get some sort of subsidized housing. BronxGuyanese is right. Many transplants who come here and get so so jobs LEAVE within a FEW YEARS. NYC is a revolving DOOR and has been this way for a LONG TIME. NYC Natives or long term residents who know how to find subsidized housing can stay here without making much money due to various subsidies and regulations.

And in order to be able to afford to get market rate housing (particularly buy) in much of the city you're mostly a professional (which means you have a graduate degree) or you went to a top school. I'm not counting people who inherited houses from their parents.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Everyone will have a very skewed view of NYC given it's cost of living. One of a few places were it is acceptable for grown adults in their 30+ to sacrifice personal space and privacy in order to shack up with roommates while raving about how great NYC is.

Even the current mayor is concern with the lack of retirement plan for people making 40's-60K's and living in the moment.
This is exactly my point. To be able to do things like ultimately get your own place (no roommates), have a retirement plan, etc outside of certain civil servant jobs one needs a professional job in order to survive here long term with any quality of life. Getting those professional jobs will require top schools and/or grad degrees.

Many of those 30+ adults will end up LEAVING if they can't move up socioeconomically here. NYC has long been a revolving door.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:26 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
What will NYC rents be like in 5 to 10 years ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City