Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 07:49 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious WannaBe Drone View Post
I agree, it is not just the uneducated being priced-out. It is not uncommon for educated people, many caucasians included, to share living space with multiple roommates. I hear people all too often give the excuse of preferring to live with roommates because living alone can be lonely. I don't believe a word of it. I know an Ivy League graduate in his 40s who lives with a roommate.
Book smart doesn't equal street smart. I know many people that have multiple degrees that are social outcasts and can't fit into a work environment. They probably can, just not the jobs they keep failing at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 08:27 AM

436 posts, read 565,366 times
Quote:
I decided to expand out at some point, and found myself a couple of times socializing with people to whom I found very hard to relate because many people define themselves based on their jobs. I am just curious: What do these people talk about other than their jobs?

I find myself asking this question quite often; and I frankly hate it when people ask what I do for a living. Most people aren't good at talking to those they don't know. I think it's a part of the reason why the atmosphere in this city comes off as unfriendly and lonely (which it is).

Old 02-05-2016, 09:11 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,883,065 times
Quote:
Has anyone actually ever gotten to know people like this? What is really underneath this artificial veneer of ambition? I think I know the answer.
As a transplant you have a different mindset from NYers who have huge entitlement issues. Transplants choose to live in one of the most expensive cities in the world and many have to work very hard to feel comfortable and secure with their financial situation in order to enjoy the lifestyle they hope to live. Transplants don't relate to anyone who lacks any ambition, who finds some weird sense of pride in being born in the same place as they expect to die (without seeing the world), people living paycheck to paycheck and having sad empty looking faces while riding the subway. If transplants wanted to be mediocre they would stayed in their hometown and avoided the stress that comes with starting a career in NYC.

Many of the best paying jobs go to transplants for a reason and it because the locals don't have the skills and ambition to be successful.

Last edited by NYer23; 02-05-2016 at 09:21 AM..

Old 02-05-2016, 09:43 AM

555 posts, read 617,602 times
it amazes me how many black people continue to blame the white man for their troubles instead of looking in the mirror.

At what point does one take responsibility for their actions? How much longer are some people going to play the race card? 200 more years? 300?

Old 02-05-2016, 09:54 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
it amazes me how many black people continue to blame the white man for their troubles instead of looking in the mirror.

At what point does one take responsibility for their actions? How much longer are some people going to play the race card? 200 more years? 300?
*Low Income Areas have a mindset

Last edited by BPt111; 02-05-2016 at 10:49 AM..

Old 02-05-2016, 11:04 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
This eloquently stated quote by this fine gentleman pretty much sums up my views on life:

Quote:
Pathmark closed my n1gga. You either sink or you swim......you either hustle or you don't. It's food....It's food. There's food out here. You understand? C'mon man...

Quote:
I love it when people come on here just to demonstrate how superior their english is.

I have to imagine that you're a gigantic hit at parties...

Old 02-05-2016, 11:09 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Go move to Detroit. All the poor people you love without any of the transplants you dislike. NYC would be another Detroit (bankrupt) if it wasn't for Wall Street.
Wall Street. And because New York City is one of the best known places in the US, tourism always brought in a lot of money. After Giuliani and then Bloomberg tourism grew substantially.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:19 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Wall Street. And because New York City is one of the best known places in the US, tourism always brought in a lot of money. After Giuliani and then Bloomberg tourism grew substantially.

NYC wouldn't become Detroit it one most important cities in the world it 2nd place for Financial capital of the world edging London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore

Old 02-05-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Transplants are always in for a rude awakening when moving to NYC. Something must be done to save white picket fenced, cookie cutter suburbia so that Trannsplants after college can go back home, have a career and call it a day. Instead of moving to the big city in an inner city neighborhood, driving up the cost of rent, making professional jobs scarce or unattainable for locals.

This is also true. Some Transplants come here with out parental support and try to make it on their own. Transplants do not have access to rent control, NYCHA, rent subsidized, or handed down property from parents which makes it easy for some New Yorkers to maintain lively hoods here. My advice for Transplants is to come to NYC with an Masters degree, or a degree from a top college or IVY league. A generic degree will not land you in an hot shot job. Be smart. either live in 5 roomates in an hip neighborhood in a small apartment, or move into the middle class outskrits of Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens which have no organic French Bistro in sight.
You are so right here. I wanted to rep you but the system wouldn't let me. A transplant who comes here with a generic degree and no parental support is likely to have to leave the city soon. And as you noted they won't inherit money or real estate from parents, and they don't know how to exploit the government subsidies for housing. Therefore they need a masters degree from a top college or Ivy League (or a specific bachelor's degree like economics or computer science).

Los Angeles is the same way. I will probably go back out there (just vacationed there and am missing LA from the times I lived there before). But ultimately it is the same thing, to get decent jobs there you need to have graduated from a top school and you ideally need a masters degree (grad student now).

This is unlike the 80s where transplants could come to these big cities without legit plans and just get whatever jobs. Those days are permanently over.

Re: nothing will be done to save suburbia. The issue in these days people prefer to be closer to work and that's a factor in driving gentrification (along with government tax credits, low interest rates, and large sums of investment money flowing in from overseas).

Old 02-05-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Financial security can mean different things to different people. They can be million dollar earners on Wallstreet but do not own their own home in the city because they want a 5 million dollar home that they can not afford. They can only dream the lifestyle of multi-millionaires because they can see the vast difference between themselves and those millionaires when they put their kids in private schools in which other children of multi-millionaires attend. They can be multi-millionaires in a similar position because they are aspiring the lifestyle of billionaires that they can not afford or pretend to afford on credit. There are more and more people who make 500K, but relative to the majority, they are few in numbers, and they too aspire to live like those above them in the income bracket. So what does financial security mean to you? There are people who may have millions upon millions in assets, but obviously if their debt is greater than their assets, then someone who makes 50K a year, owns a home that is mortgage-free, and is free from other debt is more financially secure than the debt-ridden so called multi-millionaire. There are many transplants who may make more than a native New Yorker and still struggle with high rents in the city, but they don't have the luxury of a rent-free living situation that a native New Yorker may have from inheriting real estate from their parents or grand-parents. I don't believe that a majority of transplants are an exception to the 99% who live from paycheck to paycheck. I don't believe transplants are any more financially secure than the 99%. They ARE the 99%. They may make more than the average 99%, but also spend more in order have the illusion of the "Sex and the City" lifestyle that they can only aspire to live not without debt.

By the way, I'm a transplant.
These are stupid transplants because Sex and the City was satire. The show was about 4 desperate women in their 30s (one was 40s) looking for marriage before MENOPAUSE. When they would go out on dates or hook up in bars it generally ended up in disaster, as did many of their parties.

So anyone trying to live up to that was too foolish to realize the point of the column and the tv show was to MAKE FUN of that SCENE and LIFESTYLE.

Bronxguyanese is right, for a transplant to make NYC work you need a bachelor's degree from a good school and maybe even a masters degree from a top school that will enable you to launch a sustainable career. Otherwise it's going to be bouncing from secretarial to bar jobs and it will SUCK. And if you do that your whole working life, you'll retire with no pension or 401k and no one can live off NYC off social security alone. So an old person in this case would have to move into NYCHA or some other type of government subsidized housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City