Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 05:48 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,603,438 times

Advertisements

I m 44 when I was a teen there were places to see live bands in all boroughs and especially in lower Manhattan. They played in bars and music clubs and were inexpensive. I havent been cool or hip in decades. Does this type of scene still exist ? I have heard hipsters have a music scene any other things going on on the economical side ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 07:05 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,062,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I m 44 when I was a teen there were places to see live bands in all boroughs and especially in lower Manhattan. They played in bars and music clubs and were inexpensive. I havent been cool or hip in decades. Does this type of scene still exist ? I have heard hipsters have a music scene any other things going on on the economical side ?
The whole entire music scene has moved over to Williamsburg Brooklyn.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:39 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,812,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The whole entire music scene has moved over to Williamsburg Brooklyn.
It was stronger before. Now, the bands are crap for the most part. Even five years ago, they actually had a couple of decent underground groups in that industrial Bushwick/Williamsburg area. Now, it just seems forced. There used to be a spot on Wyckoff, I forgot what it was called but they actually had a mix of people there. It wasn't just hipsters but they had all kinds of groups, old school natives, grunge types, indie music, etc. But I can't remember if that place was shot up or burned down but when they closed it, whatever decent underground scene they had around there seemed to die... I don't know too much about the scene now though. Just speaking from recent observation.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:01 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,062,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
It was stronger before. Now, the bands are crap for the most part. Even five years ago, they actually had a couple of decent underground groups in that industrial Bushwick/Williamsburg area. Now, it just seems forced. There used to be a spot on Wyckoff, I forgot what it was called but they actually had a mix of people there. It wasn't just hipsters but they had all kinds of groups, old school natives, grunge types, indie music, etc. But I can't remember if that place was shot up or burned down but when they closed it, whatever decent underground scene they had around there seemed to die... I don't know too much about the scene now though. Just speaking from recent observation.
There was an indie rap battle in alphabet city a few months ago. A friend of mines hosted it and was an MC. One has to to keep looking to find their musical niche.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:55 AM

782 posts, read 860,107 times
Who remembers Lamour's on 62nd st in Brooklyn? You didn't have to leave the borough to see some awesome punk/metal/nyhc shows.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
Who remembers Lamour's on 62nd st in Brooklyn? You didn't have to leave the borough to see some awesome punk/metal/nyhc shows.
I remember u68 did commercials for it. Heavy metal bands that later became famous appeared there. I was just a little too younf to go.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:57 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,971,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
I had the pleasure of playing there once before it closed... Good times

Old 03-07-2016, 04:37 PM

650 posts, read 2,519,010 times
I am about to turn 38, all the places from my youth are gone (my favorite was Wetlands, followed by Coney Island High and CBGB). I also remember Lamours well too
I still go to shows, much less than the college/post college days. St Vitus is actually a pretty solid place for a show

Old 03-08-2016, 12:09 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,623,025 times
If Jazz is your thing, then NYC is the place to be.

As far as other live music goes... There is a place I took a friend too a couple years back called the village underground. Good music. Dancing.

Nice little spot to hangout in.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
If Jazz is your thing, then NYC is the place to be.

As far as other live music goes... There is a place I took a friend too a couple years back called the village underground. Good music. Dancing.

Nice little spot to hangout in.
Have you heard about Jazz Vespers at St Peters Lutheran in Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City