Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 06:39 PM

29 posts, read 25,929 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am a 24 year old male from Queens in a considerably safe neighborhood. I'm pretty good with getting around the city by myself. There is a free Public Enemy concert that I wanna go go coming up which is in Brownsville Brooklyn and I'm aware that is arguably the worst part of the borough. I have been to other ghetto areas before for other concerts and events such as Tremont, Harlem and the Queensbridge projects but never really hung out that far south of Brooklyn before. I am 5'8 and around 146 pounds. The show starts around 7pm and will probably end a few hours later. My biggest concern would be traveling back at night. Would I be smarter calling a cab or Uber back to a safer neighborhood?
The only other person I know going isn't bringing his phone due to obvious secure reasons. I fear I may go alone lol. Should I just sit this one out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 06:50 PM

130 posts, read 163,212 times
If you're concerned for your safety, why not just go to the concert and leave early?

Old 06-07-2016, 07:02 PM

forgot to mention I'm also white and yea that's also an idea

Old 06-07-2016, 07:09 PM

107 posts, read 219,355 times
You will be fine, just keep an eye out for groups of people acting up, dont get into any arguments and everything will be okay. There will probably be lots of police in the area too given that the show is in a public park rather than a private venue.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:17 PM

186 posts, read 220,230 times
stop being a punk man. Life is filled with danger, the most dangerous place you can be on a daily basis is in your own home.
Go enjoy yourself and leave at a decent time.
I venture into unfamiliar neighborhoods and the rule generally is enjoy yourself and always know the route back to the train and don't be there after 10 because well just because

Old 06-07-2016, 07:26 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,468,918 times
Most crimes are gang or drug related as even the innocent people that get shot in gang shootings, usually the shooter is aiming towards another gang member and just misses. As long as you aren't selling drugs, aren't in a gang, and stay away from those 2 groups, and in general just mind your own business without flashing $500 or fancy accessories you'll be fine.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:31 PM

546 posts, read 764,232 times
Dress like a homeless guy

Old 06-07-2016, 07:50 PM

sounds good. appreciate the feedback. it sucks though cuz its like a 13 minute walk to the q60 bus where I'll have to wait for and then I catch the subway after 10 stops lol. It doesn't look like there's a train right rhere. But yea im gonna wear crappy clothes I don't care about and stuff maybe 20 bucks in my shoe. I was debating if I should dare carry a pocket knife on me but I might be over dramatic.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:57 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Not safe. I wouldn't go if I were you. You can always check it out on youtube.

Wouldn't surprise me if a shooting takes place there tonight.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:07 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybittz1 View Post
Hi,
I am a 24 year old male from Queens in a considerably safe neighborhood. I'm pretty good with getting around the city by myself. There is a free Public Enemy concert that I wanna go go coming up which is in Brownsville Brooklyn and I'm aware that is arguably the worst part of the borough. I have been to other ghetto areas before for other concerts and events such as Tremont, Harlem and the Queensbridge projects but never really hung out that far south of Brooklyn before. I am 5'8 and around 146 pounds. The show starts around 7pm and will probably end a few hours later. My biggest concern would be traveling back at night. Would I be smarter calling a cab or Uber back to a safer neighborhood?
The only other person I know going isn't bringing his phone due to obvious secure reasons. I fear I may go alone lol. Should I just sit this one out?

GH Armor Systems Gh Armor -pro Level 3a Vest w/ Free S&H <em>&mdash; 70 models</em>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City