Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 01:37 PM

10 posts, read 51,850 times

Advertisements

What are the hip areas of NYC. Just curious what people think. Like in Miami, it's South Beach, In L.A., it's West Hollywood, In Vegas its the strip. The "In" areas I thought were SoHo, Chelsea and meat packing district. Also other happening areas that are also in and hip are Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights, DUMBO and Astoria. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 01:50 PM

510 posts, read 2,243,925 times
If you are defining "in" areas by hipsters, artists, and young people my list would be in order:
Williamsburg (by FAR in the #1 spot), Lower East Side, Carroll Gardens/Boerum Hill/Cobble Hill, Park Slope, Astoria (astoria will move up this list over the next few years), Bushwick, Greenpoint

"In" areas for high end shopping, lux apartments, fancy bars:
SOHO, Meatpacking District/Far West Village, DUMBO

These are just my list of current hotspots and I'm leaving out well established, high end hoods like Greenwich Village, UWS, Brooklyn Heights, etc..

*NOTE that my list is comepletely subjective and based only on my opinions.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:57 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,522 times
Harlem, Clinton Hill, and Bed Stuy for the hipsters too

Old 02-16-2008, 01:59 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,547 times
Queens:

Astoria
Sunnyside (North of Queens Blvd)
Hunters Point (Long Island City)

Old 02-16-2008, 02:21 PM

10 posts, read 51,850 times
Default oh I see

JeffCon, So the areas in Manhattan like soho, meat packing ect are the expensive yuppie "In"? Like South Beach and West Hollywood which I know is very expensive? And the bourough places are the Hipster "In"? I was refering to the Yuppies, not the hipsters. I'm talking about the people who can afford to hang out in places like south beach and West L.A. The desighner bag wearing, GQ reading, Paris Hilton "IN". Not the smelly Hippie, indie rocker, hate everything not unique, "in". So they would be lower manhattan? Your advice would be lower manhattan?

Old 02-16-2008, 02:35 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3in View Post
JeffCon, So the areas in Manhattan like soho, meat packing ect are the expensive yuppie "In"? Like South Beach and West Hollywood which I know is very expensive? And the bourough places are the Hipster "In"? I was refering to the Yuppies, not the hipsters. I'm talking about the people who can afford to hang out in places like south beach and West L.A. The desighner bag wearing, GQ reading, Paris Hilton "IN". Not the smelly Hippie, indie rocker, hate everything not unique, "in". So they would be lower manhattan? Your advice would be lower manhattan?
Lol. New York welcomes yet another yuppie.

Rob3in, stay in Manhattan. Or you can go to Brooklyn. I suggest you stay out of Queens & the Bronx. It's more like fake Gucci, NYPost reading, Remy Ma "IN".

Old 02-16-2008, 02:38 PM

510 posts, read 2,243,925 times
If you are talking the designer handbag areas I would definitly focus on SoHo, Meatpacking District, and the Far West Village. All are very expensive, have all the designers shops, boutiques, new "starchitect" designed condos, and everything else you are talking about. A lot of Manhattan is like this but these are the "newest" areas. I would also say west Chelsea around the galleries and the new Highline park that is coming. Also there is obviously the "old money" shopping areas like 5th ave.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:46 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times
I'd consider these the popular hipster NYC neighborhoods for artists, creative types, students, and those looking for specific "hip" 'hoods:
1) Williamsburg
2) Alphabet City (some would say Lower East Side--I put it below)
3) Park Slope
4) Greenpoint
5) Long Island City
6) Astoria
7) Harlem

These 'hoods are past "hip", and are now expensive/boutique/"euro-attracting":
1) SoHo
2) West Village
3) Meatpacking District
4) Lower East Side
5) Cobble Hill/Boerum Hill
6) Tribeca (could be argued that it was once artsy...)
7) East Village

These 'hoods are truly gritty and are real artist neighborhoods, since the rent is much cheaper than other 'hoods but the 'hoods are considered "unsafe" for yuppies, newbies to move into (for the most part):
1) Bushwick
2) Red Hook (on the decline back towards grit in some ways)
3) Bed Stuy (again, on the decline back towards grit--depends on the street)
4) Crown Heights
5) South Bronx
6) Spanish Harlem
7) Washington Heights (on the upswing)

Old 02-16-2008, 11:26 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,522 times
The hipsters follow the artists, and then yuppies move in the neighborhood the hipsters left behind

Old 02-17-2008, 04:31 AM

214 posts, read 1,005,413 times
Most posters here seem to put Park Slope along with areas like Williamsburg, Astoria, and the hipster crowd. The vibe walking around there is definitely different than the hipster neighborhoods most people mentioned. Parts of the Lower East Side and East Village seem more like hipster areas than Park Slope would be.

Last edited by middle-of-nowhere; 02-17-2008 at 04:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City