Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 07:46 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,615,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
It's too dangerous to push people aside, so I wouldn't recommend it.
I'm surprised myself at how cavalier some people are being on this thread. I hate it when people stand near the doors (it's gotten so bad I've seen people do it when there is plenty of *seats* available) but I value my life and others and getting physical with someone is a nice way to end it all over something stupid. Lots of people out there with nothing to lose and with the NYPD in full force retreat mode good luck if something pops off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 07:49 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,615,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
It's usually men blocking the doors. The ladies as with many things have more common sense.
It's a power/macho thing. Standing = bigger/dominant posture, Sitting = demure, smaller.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:08 PM

416 posts, read 247,965 times
If the door is about to close I normally take big steps as I enter/exit, say excuse me and plow my way thru trying not to hurt anyone and say thanks as I go, if someone has a problem we do some fisticuffs. If I'm already by the door when the train arrives at the station, I step aside and if anyone is blocking after I just say excuse me and they usually move.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:00 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
"Excuse me" and walk through regardless if they move or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Same here. Though nearly everyone in my experience moves and tries to make room.
The same as above!

Old 08-18-2016, 07:33 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I'm surprised myself at how cavalier some people are being on this thread. I hate it when people stand near the doors (it's gotten so bad I've seen people do it when there is plenty of *seats* available) but I value my life and others and getting physical with someone is a nice way to end it all over something stupid. Lots of people out there with nothing to lose and with the NYPD in full force retreat mode good luck if something pops off.

Yeah I agree with you on that. Even though it is annoying (extremely at times) it really is not worth the trouble to get into it with people. Just keep it moving. Way too many crazy/unhinged people in this city...

Old 08-18-2016, 03:14 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,895,290 times
I mow em down. You know damn well you're blowin' it by being in the way where people gotta pass

Old 08-19-2016, 03:52 PM

66 posts, read 181,175 times
I usually say excuse, give them half a second to move and then shove them out of the way if they don't. What irks me the most is when you're trying to get OFF of the train and some idiots are walking right into you trying to get on the train. And then they get angry as if you're the one in the wrong.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:24 PM

57 posts, read 61,019 times
If I'm in a particularly pissy mood, I just barrel through and bump into them in the process.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:38 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,962 times
While we're at it, what's with people stopped dead in a trance staring at their phones right in the middle of a high-traffic area such as....just past the turnstile...at the top of the stairs....right in front of the narrow, one-person wide escalator.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:53 PM

56 posts, read 66,022 times
I push through and say "excuse me" where applicable... sometimes passive aggressively if it's a particularly stupid situation. I was exiting the subway today and two people parked right in front of the middle of the doorway on the platform blocking my exit- it was creepily robotic looking and there was so much space for them to just let me off. I just budged my way through the dead center and accidentally cracked the guy on the arm with my shoulder while intending to just push. I mean he didn't react at all and based on the total lack of movement from either of them (not even forward) when the doors opened, something needed to wake him up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City