Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 08:44 AM

738 posts, read 585,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm sorry, I'm trying to follow the story too. You got transferred to another shelter? How did your transfer end up costing you the job?

I was instructed to e-mail the head honcho the next day with personal details, contact info, etc. Then, the next day, I got whisked off to Brooklyn. I did not have a Brooklyn library card. So, no Internet access to send the e-mail. I tried e-mailing the guy the following Monday (by which time the shelter schmoes were able to provide the letter of residency) but received no reply. They figured (as would I) that this guy is too much trouble, and hired someone else.

They are still fumbling around trying to get their act together. Two people I know are missing medical appointments because they have no Metro cards to give out. These guys are seriously ill, and should their condition worsen owing to neglect, the City is on the hook for a massive lawsuit. They still can't find any razors. They're unable to decide what the meal time hours are. I get that "nobody's in charge" feeling. It's sheer poor planning and lack of leadership.

Last edited by WildCardSteve1; 09-19-2016 at 09:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 09:50 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
I was instructed to e-mail the head honcho the next day with personal details, contact info, etc. Then, the next day, I got whisked off to Brooklyn. I did not have a Brooklyn library card. So, no Internet access to send the e-mail. I tried e-mailing the guy the following Monday (by which time the shelter schmoes were able to provide the letter of residency) but received no reply. They figured (as would I) that this guy is too much trouble, and hired someone else.

They are still fumbling around trying to get their act together. Two people I know are missing medical appointments because they have no Metro cards to give out. These guys are seriously ill, and should their condition worsen owing to neglect, the City is on the hook for a massive lawsuit. They still can't find any razors. They're unable to decide what the meal time hours are. I get that "nobody's in charge" feeling. It's sheer poor planning and lack of leadership.
People have to find ways to take care of themselves. Of course the city doesn't care. If I knew I was seriously sick and needed a medical appointment I would jump the turnstile if I had to. All they have to go do is go to a station that doesn't have a major police presence, look around and go over or under the turnstile.

As for the e-mail, there are still a few internet cafes around where you pay a few dollars and can use the computers for free. Some non profits like the LGBT community center let you use those computers as well.

You guys have to figure it out for yourselves, as clearly the shelter staff and the city have no real interest in your lives or where you take care of yourselves or not. If you cannot do it, no one else will.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:19 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post

You need a smartphone as soon as you can get your hands on one!
You can even get them hooked up through Safelink Wireless now. Good luck.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-20-2016, 07:27 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
"You need a smartphone"

We get a lot of "let them eat cake" type responses.
If somebody cannot afford a subway ride, he certainly cannot afford a smartphone.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:14 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
"You need a smartphone"

We get a lot of "let them eat cake" type responses.
If somebody cannot afford a subway ride, he certainly cannot afford a smartphone.
Then he is not going to be able to get a JOB. You need to be able to get in touch with your employer.

It's up to the OP to figure out how to do that.

It's the way the society works, and the OP himself understood that a person not having regular internet access and/or a phone is a major RED FLAG to an employer.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:41 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,463,111 times
Please, the person lives in a shelter. It's very easy for someone else to say get internet access. Question: Did the job prospect specifically tell you they hired someone else, or are you just assuming that? If not, I would get back in touch with them -- it might not be too late. Go back to the office. You might be able to get a used smartphone at no cost through a charitable organization. People are always donating them. Good luck. Post what happens.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
Please, the person lives in a shelter. It's very easy for someone else to say get internet access. Question: Did the job prospect specifically tell you they hired someone else, or are you just assuming that? If not, I would get back in touch with them -- it might not be too late. Go back to the office. You might be able to get a used smartphone at no cost through a charitable organization. People are always donating them. Good luck. Post what happens.

I am just assuming that. What a disappointment.

I'm attempting to get a Unversal Lifeline Phone. I had one, but it was stolen (all too common occurence in the shelter environment) and I'm being told I can't get another. I still may have some options.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:

Just assuming that.

I had an "Obama Phone" but it was stolen in the shelter, all too common. I'm trying to get another one.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:35 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,463,111 times
Don't assume anything--get back in touch with the job. You might still get it. Just go to the office.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Don't assume anything--get back in touch with the job. You might still get it. Just go to the office.
The office is in Union NJ. Sadly, I need the damn phone.

I have a Plan B, and a Plan C. I am by no means beat.

I won't beg, steal, make illegal drugs (yes, I know how) or go work for Cheetahs ***** bar, where, for a price, one may eat sushi off of naked women. Sounds unsanitary.

I googled that outfit and it turns out that the swine owner regularly screws those poor women out of their salary and tips. I may be dirt poor, but I have some self respect.

Last edited by WildCardSteve1; 09-22-2016 at 04:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City