Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 12:29 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times

Advertisements

People forget I think that WalMart is now the country's largest grocer. The prices and selections at the WalMarts I've visited are pretty good. Because of their expertise at supply logistics and the benefits of size they could underprice just just about any grocery story in the five boroughs I'd bet, and do it with good quality, name brand, foodstuffs. Poor folks here would benefit greatly from a WalMart, but I suspect that it's the grocery stores--independents and chains--that are the fiercest opposition rather than the Mom and Pops. They can survive if they adjust to offer services, hours, or goods that WalMart can't provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 12:41 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
There's a Wal Mart literally one block from NYC and there are Targets within NYC.
If you're alluding to Valley stream, it's on the outskirts of NYC...really out of reach for everyone except Queens residents.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:18 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
If you're alluding to Valley stream, it's on the outskirts of NYC...really out of reach for everyone except Queens residents.
TONS of people from Queens shop there, and there are Targets (which are similar to Walmart) located more centrally within the city.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
TONS of people from Queens shop there, and there are Targets (which are similar to Walmart) located more centrally within the city.
Target is good, but not as good as Walmart in terms of pricing. And yes that's what I said, it's reachable for some Queens residents, but not much else. It's not really worth the trip if you need to travel 1 hr each way to Walmart to try to save some money. It's already a 30min car ride for me from central Queens and that's without heavy traffic . To get there otherwise, you would need to take the LiRR to Rosedale.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:39 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Even with all of the gentrification NYC still feels like NYC to me. Ma and pop stores and independent boutiques still have a prominent presence here, especially compared to most other cities. The only way I can see NYC totally flipping the script is if Walmart was allowed to open stores in the city limits. One Walmart store alone would probably kill about 50 ma and pop stores within a 3-5 mile radius. The day might eventually come. Walmart has always been suburban and rural orientated however in recent years they have been experimenting with cities, notably D.C., Philly, and Chicago. I can't speak for Chicago and Philly but I know first hand that Walmart has closed quite a few businesses in D.C. because competing against Wal-mart is simply impossible. Put a Wal-mart on Queens Blvd or anywhere in the Bronx and see what happens.
What's with the walmartphobia, and who the hell gave the government the authority to pick and choose what stores can do business here? If Walmart wants to open a store in NYC they have every right to do so like any other business. I disagree that it would even kill the mom and pops because people in NYC like going to specialty stores. But there would be closures and rightfully so, who wants to get ripped off when they can get a fair price instead

Old 09-22-2016, 01:43 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Target is good, but not as good as Walmart in terms of pricing. And yes that's what I said, it's reachable for some Queens residents, but not much else. It's not really worth the trip if you need to travel 1 hr each way to Walmart to try to save some money. It's already a 30min car ride for me from central Queens and that's without heavy traffic . To get there otherwise, you would need to take the LiRR to Rosedale.
There's plenty of accessible Target stores in NYC - one in Manhattan, two in the Bronx, four in Queens, three in Brooklyn, and two on Staten Island. That's 12 stores in NYC

Walmart isn't in the 5 boroughs but there is one right next to JFK airport and five of them right across the river in Jersey

Old 09-22-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
There's plenty of accessible Target stores in NYC - one in Manhattan, two in the Bronx, four in Queens, three in Brooklyn, and two on Staten Island. That's 12 stores in NYC

Walmart isn't in the 5 boroughs but there is one right next to JFK airport and five of them right across the river in Jersey
I was referring to Walmarts. Yes the one by Jfk is Valley Stream , which is LI. Not easily accessible for most NYC residents

Old 09-22-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I was referring to Walmarts. Yes the one by Jfk is Valley Stream , which is LI. Not easily accessible for most NYC residents
It's easily accessible for the massive amounts of people from Southeast Queens who go there.

It's in Valley Stream, but it's literally one block from NYC and most of the people who go to that shopping center are from Queens.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Any given spot in NYC is not "easily accessible" to the majority of NYC residents!

Old 09-22-2016, 09:38 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
When it comes to mom and pop and family owned businesses, NYC is one of the best.

Wal-Mart makes me barf as does Target. Something about the lighting and the way the stores are setup. They just remind me of white trash.

I order almost everything on Amazon or other online venues. Even my groceries get delivered. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City