Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 01:14 PM

21 posts, read 18,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Anything along the 7 line from Sunnyside to Jackson Heights would be ideal IMO
tHE 7 runs along queens blvd. isnt that woodside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 01:24 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunedos View Post
tHE 7 runs along queens blvd. isnt that woodside?
I thought it went through both.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:29 PM

21 posts, read 18,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I thought it went through both.
Idk. You would know far more than I would. I think I got Woodside and Woodhaven mixed up anyway now that I think of it. I'm thinking of where ever the mall is...that's the only time I've gone to Queens.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:50 PM

840 posts, read 694,103 times
Kew Gardens is right on several train and subway lines and PS 99 has high marks (its an elementary level school)

Old 11-28-2016, 01:54 PM

626 posts, read 903,334 times
Have you looked into Oakland Gardens, Douglaston, Little Neck, Flushing, Forest Hills, Bayside & Fresh Meadows? Various price ranges but you should be definitely be able to find something in your price range. I mentioned these areas because they have good schools and you have access to the either the subway #7 or LIRR - Port Washington line. Best of luck.

MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate may be helpful in giving you an idea about etc.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:21 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Idk. You would know far more than I would. I think I got Woodside and Woodhaven mixed up anyway now that I think of it. I'm thinking of where ever the mall is...that's the only time I've gone to Queens.
The mall is in Elmhurst.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:22 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
Regarding driving vs. mass transit, will you have parking available at your work?

I'm not very familiar with Glendale and Ridgewood, but I think commuting via mass transit will be tough from these neighborhoods. They're not close to the subway lines that run to LIC so you would need to do bus + subway.
You'd either take the L to the G, or the Q11 to the R.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:50 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
Quote:
The 7 runs through (from west to east) LIC, Sunnyside, Woodside, Jackson Heights/Elmhurst (I think that 74th st stop is in the corner where the two meet), Corona, and Flushing. On the topic of Flushing, it's a bit further out and not necessarily cheaper than the areas from Sunnyside to there. If you want to live at that stop, it's dead center in what's considered the Chinatown of Queens. I'm friends with a lot of people who grew up there, but as far as a place to raise a child, I'd assume Forest Hills and Sunnyside to be better. Maybe the historical district of Jackson Heights too when you go a block north(west) of Broadway, where the 7 runs along to Flushing.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:08 PM

782 posts, read 527,522 times
Quote:
Not sure. I literally know nothing about Thomson Ave in LIC.

bus to subway sounds like more than what I can stand. Thank you!
If you did have easy parking at work, then looking at less subway-friendly areas might be worthwhile. You will likely get more space for your money and have easier parking near home. I can't speak to the schools though.

I second the idea of taking your time to look at different neighborhoods. It sounds like there's no need to rush as it will be months before your daughter moves up. Get a feel for your commute and the different areas. Some Queens neighborhoods have large immigrant populations which may or may not be a good fit for you. Some are more dense, some are more suburban, etc.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:12 PM

782 posts, read 527,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You'd either take the L to the G, or the Q11 to the R.
Oh, I didn't think about the L. I thought it was the M train that ran through those neighborhoods. The L to the G doesn't sound bad...all local stops but doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City