Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 09:50 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times

Advertisements

I would go for it.

The northern St.Albans/Addisleigh area is bound to sharply increase in desirability soon.

The Jamaica center area is becoming more and more diverse so it'll start appealing to more pools of buyers (and not only just the Black-Caribbean middle/working class demographic as it has been for decades).

I don't see whites moving there en masse anytime soon but one of the largest groups increasing in the Jamaica area are South Asians and many of them especially have deep pockets. A lot of the new ultra-fancy homes on modest lots all throughout nearby Western Nassau County are owned by them; and most aren't afraid to buy up and $invest$ in areas widely regarded as 'questionable' to whites (like Elmont for example). Hispanics are also increasing in the area so it'll make the area appear even more inclusive to different types of people thus making it more appealing to more buyer pools.

It'll still be appealing to the black middle class; perhaps even more than it already is b/c studies show that most blacks prefer at least some level of diversity in their communities (for a variety of reasons).

With Amazon moving to LIC, that's even more fuel to the fire.

Laurelton is already a decent area but it'll take longer for it to appeal to more pools of buyers since its further away.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 12-13-2018 at 10:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 11:32 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
It is a middle class area, what would be so weird about that?
Except the brand Gregory coffee doesn’t cater to authentic neighborhoods where their alliance is probably more related to local bodega or Dunkin Donuts. Also, Greg coffee like the poster pointed out has only showed their face in exclusive nyc areas (financial district, Midtown, Tribeca etc), so it makes sense why seeing one pop up in St. Albans would be a concern.

Now if Greg Coffee came to NYC and set up in middle class areas originally then there would be no issues at all.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I would go for it.

The northern St.Albans/Addisleigh area is bound to sharply increase in desirability soon.

The Jamaica center area is becoming more and more diverse so it'll start appealing to more pools of buyers (and not only just the Black-Caribbean middle/working class demographic as it has been for decades).

I don't see whites moving there en masse anytime soon but one of the largest groups increasing in the Jamaica area are South Asians and many of them especially have deep pockets. A lot of the new ultra-fancy homes on modest lots all throughout nearby Western Nassau County are owned by them; and most aren't afraid to buy up and $invest$ in areas widely regarded as 'questionable' to whites (like Elmont for example). Hispanics are also increasing in the area so it'll make the area appear even more inclusive to different types of people thus making it more appealing to more buyer pools.

It'll still be appealing to the black middle class; perhaps even more than it already is b/c studies show that most blacks prefer at least some level of diversity in their communities (for a variety of reasons).

Laurelton is already a decent area but it'll take longer for it to appeal to more pools of buyers since its further away.
Amazon is not goin to do anything to fuel fire in southeast Queens. Not sure why people are running with this.

Last edited by BrooklynJo; 12-13-2018 at 12:02 PM..

Old 12-13-2018, 11:38 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Except the brand Gregory coffee doesn’t cater to authentic neighborhoods where their alliance is probably more related to local bodega or Dunkin Donuts. Also, Greg coffee like the poster pointed out has only showed their face in exclusive nyc areas (financial district, Midtown, Tribeca etc), so it makes sense why seeing one pop up in St. Albans would be a concern.

Now if Greg Coffee came to NYC and set up in middle class areas originally then there would be no issues at all.
What makes a neighborhood "authentic"?

Dunkin Donuts is a massive chain and not a small business, I don't see how that's much better.

Quote:
Amazon is not goin to do anything to fuel fire in southeast Queens. Not sure why people are running with this.
Agreed. People are being overdramatic about this

Old 12-13-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Infestation:
the presence of an unusually large number of insects or animals in a place, typically so as to cause damage or disease.

I think the use of the word gentrification is more appropriate.
I am not particularly fond of hipsters and yuppies but in their defense I have never once witnessed the
demise of a neighborhood as coined in your definition "of damage and disease" with the introduction.
On the contrary , real estate rises and the neighborhood beautifies because lots and lots of money
is invested and the results have been only nothing but positive.
Why would you expect demise on their behalf if they are gentrifications selling demographic? Gentrification is literally the replacement of lower income people with higher income people, so I’m not sure what your point is?

I don’t know much high income or high middle income areas that are in much demise to begin with

The only good thing about St. Albans is that it is middle class and has a high home ownership population which will work in their favor. And the ironic thing about your demise statement is that even though St. Albans is a nice neighborhood, racist still will post that it is a ghetto because it’s mostly black.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
What makes a neighborhood "authentic"?

Dunkin Donuts is a massive chain and not a small business, I don't see how that's much better.

Agreed. People are being overdramatic about this
I know Dunkin Donuts is a massive chain but they didn’t put their stores in fancy areas first and then branch out. Their clientele is all of America period.

What makes a neighborhood authentic is the bond and culture. For example In Marcus Garvey Park in Harlem it was normal for African drummers to play drums at the PARK, but that didn’t stop the wealthier newcomers from calling the cops on them anyway.

I find it amazing how newcomers want a piece of a cities authenticity but when they arrive they use their suburban methodology to dictate the new change in the area.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:12 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
Quote:
For the parts relatively close to the Jamaica LIRR station (North of Linden/West of 180th), there is definitely a strong potential. The Jamaica station is like one or two LIRR stops away from LIC.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 12-13-2018 at 12:22 PM..

Old 12-13-2018, 12:58 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Quote:
I know Dunkin Donuts is a massive chain but they didn’t put their stores in fancy areas first and then branch out. Their clientele is all of America period.

What makes a neighborhood authentic is the bond and culture. For example In Marcus Garvey Park in Harlem it was normal for African drummers to play drums at the PARK, but that didn’t stop the wealthier newcomers from calling the cops on them anyway.

I find it amazing how newcomers want a piece of a cities authenticity but when they arrive they use their suburban methodology to dictate the new change in the area.
All neighborhoods have culture and bonds.

And how do you know the "newcomers" are trying to dictate change? Sure there are some cases of people misusing 911 but that doesn't mean we should make generalizations about people

Old 12-13-2018, 11:18 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
Quote:
I would go for it.

More than 70% of new home sales in Addisleigh Park were to South East Asian families. I know of one all white and 8 interracial (white/black) households in the neighborhood, 4 of which have lived in the neighborhood for over 15 years.

Our block has black, south east asian, Chinese, white and hispanic home owners. We know each other and get along well. Pick up packages when people are away, share vegetables from garden, chit chat on the sidewalk when it's warm, shovel each other's sidewalk etc.

It is annoying that a neighbor hood's appeal or worth is only tied to how many whites live there. But i guess poor and middle class whites is somehow better than educated , high income , home owning others.

Luckily we are not scared of our shadows so for now we will pass on longer commutes and super high mortgage payments to live in a 'good neighborhood'.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:25 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
Quote:
For the parts relatively close to the Jamaica LIRR station (North of Linden/West of 180th), there is definitely a strong potential. The Jamaica station is like one or two LIRR stops away from LIC.
They recently implemented Atlantic ticket on LIRR. The MTA earned $2 million in 2 and a half months and no one even noticed that more people were using the LIRR within SE QUEENS and Brooklyn. They will implement Freedom ticket eventually. It will be quick and cost effective to commute from all those high rises they are building in Jamaica to PENN station and everywhere in between. Someone is sure that renters will come. They are pouring $100s of millions into building high rise apartment in Jamaica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City