Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2016, 04:23 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
The problem is we all don't start and travel the same path. Mark Zuckerberg/Bill Gates being born to wealthy families can afford them to receive outstanding private school education that merely going to Harvard is a trivial matter to them as they already had exposure to the curriculum and expectation at a young age allowing both of them to dropout of Harvard. Biggest indicator of child future success is based on parent's education level and economic standing.

Being born into poverty has many obstacles such as positive role model, lack of mobility and resources to go to a decent public school. It takes money to make money in a capitalist society, it is far easier to accumulating wealth when you already have wealth (tax code, compound interest, and inflation makes it an uphill battle).
Yes, being born into a wealthy family is an advantage, but it doesn't guarantee success the same way being born into a poor family doesn't guarantee being poor as an adult. In a free society, it's still possible for those who are born middle class (or below) to become successful. There was a time when the Gates' and Zuckerbergs weren't that successful, so someone in their lineage became successful which was a benefit to future generations of their family.

People are born into different circumstances and have different attributes -- that's just how the world works. We'll never all start and travel the same path. In a free society, those born into challenging circumstances still have the opportunity to succeed (it happens quite regularly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 04:49 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Yes, being born into a wealthy family is an advantage, but it doesn't guarantee success the same way being born into a poor family doesn't guarantee being poor as an adult. In a free society, it's still possible for those who are born middle class (or below) to become successful.
The problem is we are facing a shrinking middle class. Elizabeth Warren did a study that made her famous on the decline of the middle class. We are more of a two class system (Upper and Lower class) now which success is predicated on good health and staying married (two income household). Two people of equal income and education are more likely to marry each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akVL7QY0S8A

Old 12-20-2016, 05:56 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
The problem is we all don't start and travel the same path. Mark Zuckerberg/Bill Gates being born to wealthy families can afford them to receive outstanding private school education that merely going to Harvard is a trivial matter to them as they already had exposure to the curriculum and expectation at a young age allowing both of them to dropout of Harvard. Biggest indicator of child future success is based on parent's education level and economic standing.

Being born into poverty has many obstacles such as positive role model, lack of mobility and resources to go to a decent public school. It takes money to make money in a capitalist society, it is far easier to accumulating wealth when you already have wealth (tax code, compound interest, and inflation makes it an uphill battle).
Not everyone born to wealthy families is as innovative as Zuckberberg or Gates.

With that said, in terms of equal access to resources, no society has had that for all of it's people and no society ever will. People have to deal with the cards they are dealt with and make them work as best they can.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
I agree.

They:

Don't pay your bills (and never will or volunteer to)
Don't put a roof over your head (and never will or volunteer to)
Don''t put food on your table (and never will or volunteer to)
Don't clean your butt (and never will or volunteer to)

Unless it's negatively affecting your life which is not then why do you care? I sometimes have to remind myself of the above bullet points when dealing with negative people. Racism is apart of discrimination which humans will continue on doing till the end of time. I would not waste my life trying to change the mind-frame of such individuals since it's usually its a waste of time.
All good points to consider in general, especially when dealing with people you don't know or deal with only superficially.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:31 PM

6,690 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJayne NYC View Post
I was on Amtrak recently, sitting next to a white male. I usually sleep when I'm on Amtrak, but while trying to catch a few zzzz's, I heard strange sounds, so I opened my eyes and quickly noticed that the guy sitting next to me had his hands in his pants and it appeared as though he was playing with his penis. I had never been in such a situation, so naturally, I froze from shock. I could barely think, but decided that I would report him, but upon me getting up, he quickly removed his hands and tried to pretend that he had not engaged in any sexual misconduct. I followed through with reporting him to the conductor, and changed my seat, but that situation really got to me. I don't know what he would have done if I had not woken up!

Despite that incident, I try to treat people as individuals, but perhaps I should take your advice and be more discerning in the presence of certain people, particularly white males who believe it's ok to engage in public masturbation.
lol I had that happen to me in a regular MTA subway. Some guy sat in front of me and just started to jack off. I quickly left at the next stop and wondered about the poor people who were on their way in!

Old 12-25-2016, 01:37 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post

Racism is having segregated schools, different bathrooms, different water fountains, having to sit on different parts of the bus, black people hanging from trees and working on cotton fields for little to no money.
e.

Based on what you wrote you would have us believe that racism is just Jim Crow South.

No racism is about when some one makes an assumption about another person based merely on their ethnic, racial or national identity. It is an implicit bias which is just as damaging as when some one makes a judgment based on their perceived class background, or their gender.

THIS is what racism in the 21st century is. So folks can get off their high horse of feeling that racism ended with the passing of the Civil Rights bill.

As to class background. Yes some of these black suburban kids grew up having to deal with rejection and not sure how to fit in. Often being the only black around.

So don't make assumptions about people who you don't know,

Old 12-25-2016, 01:41 AM

Quote:
You can read other's thoughts? Amazing.

You can equate someone putting their hands into their pockets as racist, that is truly scary. Not only that, you are CERTAIN of their actions and thoughts!

What I do know is that when I approach many white men on the street in broad daylight, in a suit, or not in a suit I see discomfort quite often. Interestingly enough I don't detect this from white females.

Now why that is I don't know but what most black professional men know is that they have to learn how to be "non threatening" if they are going to have any chance of success in the corporate world.

I have been told by several black women who have white male friends that most white men are afraid of black men who they don't know. Fear not based on anything rational. Just fear.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Is there something inherently wrong with that? .

So racism is OK. Assuming that every black man, including 50 y/o wearing a suit, are criminals, or still something to be afraid of?

This country is becoming progressively non white, so its success will depend on the degree to which its black and Hispanic populations are economically integrated into the main stream. Those who do the right thing and acquire the education and hard and soft skills for success shouldn't to put up with your paranoia. You see a black man so you think that the world will end.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:50 AM

783 posts, read 576,905 times
1. I don't 'deal with it' because I don't care what other people do. As long as you aren't messing with me, you can do what you like. I've had people act scared around me, on the train, on the elevator. It's their problem not mine. If they have a problem standing next to me, they can move. Won't hurt my feelings.

OP, stop focusing on what others are doing. The only people feeling the strain of it is you. Those other people go on about their lives and don't think a second thought about it. So why should you?

Old 12-25-2016, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Your family sounds racist. Do they really see everything in black and white?

They live in the USA where a man just tweeted racist commentary and was rewarded with the presidency. Did almost nothing while some of his supporters engaged in racist assaults. Even kicked out a black outreach worker in one of his FL rallies. He saw a black man, and made an assumption about him, just as you do.

Then you have the nerve to accuse this woman of coming from a racist family.. When you make assumptions about others, and then justify expect them to have a defense reaction. Hers being protecting herself from implicit bias by not working for majority white companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City