Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 10:09 AM

602 posts, read 1,264,151 times

Advertisements

Huh, thanks for that. There is a bit of nuance in there, in that they _can_ take PTO, but if you don't _have_ any PTO, they still have to pay you. Interesting. FWIW, while my company did an all-hands work from home yesterday, in the past they've closed for weather related events and not taken PTO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 10:15 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post
Huh, thanks for that. There is a bit of nuance in there, in that they _can_ take PTO, but if you don't _have_ any PTO, they still have to pay you. Interesting. FWIW, while my company did an all-hands work from home yesterday, in the past they've closed for weather related events and not taken PTO.
Well thanks to NYC newest laws many employees now do have PTO days. But yes, if you've used them up it could present an issue.

But honestly it is only March, if you've used up all your PTO days by now, that does not look good. *LOL*

Old 03-15-2017, 10:22 AM

602 posts, read 1,264,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Well thanks to NYC newest laws many employees now do have PTO days. But yes, if you've used them up it could present an issue.

But honestly it is only March, if you've used up all your PTO days by now, that does not look good. *LOL*
A lot of companies don't give you all your PTO at the beginning of the year, you accrue them by month or whatever. FWIW.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:12 AM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TizOnly1 View Post
This.

I don't remember ever getting days off, outside of that blizzard.

NYC has gone completely soft.
This surprises you? Look who is running the City, state and sits on the city council. All wanna be tough guys that wanna one-up each other in an effort to call themselves the savior of our utopia like plantation. Cuomo can't even erect a sign on the New York Thruway legally yet he want's to direct snow removal from his Manhattan command center on Third ave. Give me a break. Did deBlasio get his gym time in Brooklyn in yesterday? I sure hope so. Useless all of them.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:29 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
The people who are saying that nothing should have shut down yesterday clearly don't live in the outer boroughs. It's nice to demand that things stay open when all of your subways are underground.

Anybody try getting around Riverdale yesterday? Was it like a nice summer day trying to navigate the hills and step streets?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-15-2017, 01:34 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Is it snow are ice?

My part of NJ is having difficulties not because of snow but the ice.. Even some plows are having difficulties.
From the time that I heard ice pounding my window early yesterday morning I knew that I wasn't going to go anywhere. Trudging around in the ice is DANGEROUS.

The weather forecast stated 12 to 20 inches of snow. I remember when snow fell and Bloomberg was out of town, streets weren't ploughed and this became a huge fiasco. I bet that if 20 inches fell and the streets were impassable the same ones who are yelling that NYC is "soft" would be singing a different song.

And yes thanks to global climatic change the winters are less severe than they used to be 20 years ago so maybe we are softer than we used to be. NYers expect that the roads will be cleared within an hour of snow ending. This wasn't true in the 90s when the sight of cars sliding all over the streets in poorly ploughed roads was the norm.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:41 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
It's ridiculous. Forget about 25 years ago, just 5 years ago 8 to 10 inches didn't shut the city down. The city is run by soft scared. corrupt people who are afraid they will melt if they get wet. It's pathetic.
I sound like an old fogey but back in the day, public schools were open even during 15 inches of snow. Once we did have a half day but that was only when the snow storm turned into a blizzard. Mind you it was an actual blizzard, not "blizzard like conditions" and even then we could only leave after 2pm. Whoopie.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:51 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
It's ridiculous. Forget about 25 years ago, just 5 years ago 8 to 10 inches didn't shut the city down. The city is run by soft scared. corrupt people who are afraid they will melt if they get wet. It's pathetic.
I think things changed when Bloomberg botched things up big time during his snow watch. Don't know if it was an actual blizzard but the snow storm was bad enough and cars/buses/subways all got stuck. And not just for a few hours but for several, several hours (the A train!). Remember walking around and seeing one MTA bus after another stuck in the middle of the street blocking all traffic. I think several people even died because the ambulances could not get thru.

Since then, any hint of snow and the city shuts down.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:53 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
Everything shut down yesterday because of 17" of snow, or at least the prediction thereof. The fact that we only had around 7" was irrelevant, at least by the time we actually knew what we got.

I think we need to start looking at big snow forecasts a bit more skeptically (especially at the official level.)

Old 03-15-2017, 03:06 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I think things changed when Bloomberg botched things up big time during his snow watch. Don't know if it was an actual blizzard but the snow storm was bad enough and cars/buses/subways all got stuck. And not just for a few hours but for several, several hours (the A train!). Remember walking around and seeing one MTA bus after another stuck in the middle of the street blocking all traffic. I think several people even died because the ambulances could not get thru.

Since then, any hint of snow and the city shuts down.
I think this is it. We now error on the side of caution. I remember that and it was a horrendous! I would most certainly prefer caution opposed to ending up in a state of emergency because of poor planning.

It's clear to me from all of the posts on this it's a "dammed if you do dammed if you don't" situation. It takes a while to shut down transit and notify workers and students of closings. So there is really a window you have to make that type of call before it's too late and you end up with a disastrous situation.

If that call hadn't been made and the storm stayed on track...? People on this board would have been complained that DeB didn't do xyz and he's incompetent.

My company sent out an email MONDAY MORNING, well before people left for the day, letting them know they should prepare to work from home on Tuesday. They didn't want any situations, or excuses, where people were struggling to get into the office or were unable to do work because of the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: