Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 05:32 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosedavid3030 View Post
hello

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQHsXMglC9A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 08:29 PM

602 posts, read 1,264,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This is good. I wonder if there's a study on this versus rate of attrition for the infrastructure? Shouldn't there be a projected certain point for the different lines where FastTrack maintenance and weekend/weeknight re-routings and closings should become less and less frequent. Like, where is the projected light at the end of the subway tunnel?
Well, they map out what each project for each line looks like with projected work dates: 4 5 Joralemon St Tube Rehabilitation Project

I don't know if an overall doc exists somewhere covering everything, I don't recall stumbling across one.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:46 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
Over-saturation of Uber/Lyft/whatever might be playing a small part in that as well. The car/taxi biz has been locked into a race-to-the-bottom death match for awhile now to where car rides are extremely cheap and more readily accessible than ever. It's having some other not so fantastic side effects elsewhere, but the transportation consumer is a clear winner in that game.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:34 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Over-saturation of Uber/Lyft/whatever might be playing a small part in that as well. The car/taxi biz has been locked into a race-to-the-bottom death match for awhile now to where car rides are extremely cheap and more readily accessible than ever. It's having some other not so fantastic side effects elsewhere, but the transportation consumer is a clear winner in that game.
I agree. Uber launched Flat Rates. You pay 30.00 and unlock 40 rides that will be a flat rate of 2.99 uberpool and 5.99 for uberx. Afterwork, i can take an uberpool for $2.99 from SoHo to Washington Heights. I usually get home in the same time as taking the train.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:37 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
I didn't know it had gotten that cheap. That's crazy. Traditionally the regular taxi rider was much more affluent than average. Regular Joes and poor people couldn't afford to do that every day so train it was. No wonder traffic is so much worse these days.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:50 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Remember when the Dinosaurs died out? I'm starting to think it had less to do with the ice age and more to do with neurotic behavior and power tripping. So glad I don't breed my DNA.
Dinosaurs died out due to a meteor impact, not any Ice Age. Source: watched "Armageddon" yesterday. Liv Tyler's smokin' hot, just like the streaks of meteors that hit Manhattan. It's so nice to see y'all fixed up GCT, the meteors really did a number on it.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 1,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Also there's a HORRIBLE influx of corny seniors from the suburbs of everywhere who think they are worldly and cool all of a sudden after their crotchfruit have flown the nest moving into the city these days and they can't ride the subway because of decrepitude, yet they hog spots in our much needed housing (market and non-market).
Hello!!! My name is Rose,i saw your profile and it's interesting,i will also like to know you more,and i want you to send an email to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom i am.Here is my email address rosedavid701/a t/ yahoo/ point / come ) believe we can move from here..I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.(Remeber the distance, colour or language does not matter but love matters alot in life.)

Old 03-13-2017, 08:31 AM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Dinosaurs died out due to a meteor impact, not any Ice Age. Source: watched "Armageddon" yesterday. Liv Tyler's smokin' hot, just like the streaks of meteors that hit Manhattan. It's so nice to see y'all fixed up GCT, the meteors really did a number on it.
That was the joke, sorta. Then I realized it wasn't a very good one and re-wrote the post entirely into a question about if our fix/improvement rate is vis-a-vis our attrition rate from usage. Like, at what point will we see a dramatic downturn in service changes and how quickly are we headed there if at all.

2018 is likely to see a significant dent as the L train shuts down, I reckon.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:17 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
According to the MTA ridership numbers for the NYC subway system actually decreased by a small percentage in 2016 vs. 2015.

http://ny.curbed.com/2017/2/24/14725...cline#comments

George died.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:44 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
I'm glad subway ridership has gone down.
They keep raising the fares and not providing better/improved service.
We consumers need to vote with our feet and avoid the subway whenever possible (and in particular go on strike the day of fare increases) so they feel it in their pocketbook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City